Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Wall-Plugged Ethernet Adapters

by Necrodox / February 6, 2010 2:45 PM PST

I'm not entirely sure if this topic belongs in this area so please forgive me if it doesn't.

I am looking for some advice in regards to a wall-plugged Ethernet adapter. What this adapters does is transfer your Internet connection through your electrical line.

Now I'm sketchy on which to buy considering there are quite a few of them out there, and which perform best for gaming.

I've been experiencing alot of issues with my wireless internet when playing my Xbox 360 in particular and when downloading on my computer.

I'm looking to improve this situation, I could simply run an Ethernet through the house but it just doesn't seem as convenient as these adapters are at this point.

However if these adapters are not up to par I won't even bother purchasing them, I'd much rather run the cable throughout the house and ensure a lasting connection.

Thank you in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wall-Plugged Ethernet Adapters
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wall-Plugged Ethernet Adapters
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Iffy.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 6, 2010 9:35 PM PST

Since the internet is not an assured connection this will not fix the internet. It would help gamers as wifi is less assured than a wired or power line connection.

If you are looking for a never an issue connection you and millions of others have yet to find that but it would remove wifi and it's woe.

Just checking. Did you set up the wifi per the Cnet Networking forum sticky? I find that helps in most cases. And don't download over wifi. That is just a bad idea.
Bob

Collapse -
Better connection
by Necrodox / February 7, 2010 5:22 AM PST
In reply to: Iffy.

Not so much a never issue connection but just an improvement over the speed I'm getting now.

I have not set up my router in accordance to Cnet's networking forum sticky, I'll be sure to check it out.

Thank you Bob.

Collapse -
Most of the time, no speed gain. Here's why.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 7, 2010 6:26 AM PST
In reply to: Better connection

Even the old 802.11b connection was 11 megabit which is about what a cable connection runs at. Most of us have 802.11g at 54 megabit so getting wired may not help on speed.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!