HolidayBuyer's Guide

TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Wall Mounting Sony 40"XBR in Bedroom

by michhala / May 6, 2007 7:02 PM PDT

I recently sold a house and am now the first tenant leasing a new apartment......it may or may not be permanent. This will be the only TV in the apartment, and I am hoping it will not be too large for a bedroom.......it will be viewed from 10-11 feet away. If I knew of a Sony 36" screen that was as good as the XBR2, I would consider it.

Because I am leasing, I would like to mount it with as litte damage to the wall as possible, so there will be no problems with management if and when I move. To accomplish this, I am thinking of having the TV mounted on the wall, but to not pull the wires/cable into and behind the wall. The hanging wires can be covered with wide white plastic molding made for this purpose and a component stand beneath.

What I need to know is this: I have been told that the mounting plate does not leave excessively large holes in the wall and is not difficult to remove if need to do so. Is this all true?

I have a 30-31" high mattress and all the TV stands I have found are not high enough. Circuit City has a beautiful sturdy glass component and TV mounting bracket stand with wire management (Z-line Phantom 50). The TV appears as if wall mounted, but the bottom of TV would only be 34" from the floor..... and I would be watching TV through my toes.

Appreciate all suggestions -- I have been going back and forth on this for too long......it's a crazy-maker.

My thanks.......Miki

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wall Mounting Sony 40"XBR in Bedroom
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wall Mounting Sony 40"XBR in Bedroom
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Suggestion?
by longwong15 / May 7, 2007 12:19 AM PDT

Hey,

I have the Z design phantom 50 with my 40inch xbr2 and it looks absolutely great. You can actually adjust the height of the TV and it's doesn't look too bad when you have it on the highest setting. Besides mounting the TV will cost right around the same as buying the actual stand. Hope it helps!

Collapse -
reply to longwong15
by michhala / May 7, 2007 5:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Suggestion?

My thanks for your reply.....It's reassuring to know you are pleased with your 40XBR2 mounted on the Z Phantom 50. Unless I measured wrong at Circuit City, the bottom frame of the TV on the Phantom 50 is only 34" off the floor on its highest setting. Since my bed mattress is 30-31" from the floor, I think I need to have the bottom frame of the TV mounted a few inches higher. The 34" height is doable and the Phantom 50 is an alternative, however.

Miki

Collapse -
HOW ABOUT PLACING THE SET ON YOUR DRESSER OR CHEST???
by Riverledge / May 7, 2007 5:11 AM PDT

SINCE THEY'RE PROBABLY ALREADY IN THE ROOM. Just a thought. Also a 40" to 42" might be a better size, as you're about 11' away.

Best wishes,
River.

Collapse -
Reply to Riverledge
by michhala / May 7, 2007 6:07 AM PDT

River -- thank you for your suggestion.....the dresser and chest are too low. I did have an armoire in my former house bedroom which housed a Sony 27" CRT, but in the moving process it did not fit onto the elevator to my apartment Sad The final result is the CRT now sits on a low nightstand and looks very ugly exposed ;).....hence the reasons for buying a new XBR2.

Collapse -
I UNDERSTAND. WELL IT WAS JUST A THOUGHT.................
by Riverledge / May 7, 2007 6:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Reply to Riverledge

LET US KNOW HOW IT WORKS OUT.

River.

Collapse -
(NT) River...and it was a good thought.....thank you.
by michhala / May 7, 2007 6:53 AM PDT
Collapse -
How about
by givemeaname / May 7, 2007 7:04 AM PDT
Collapse -
Thank you, givemeaname, for the link
by michhala / May 7, 2007 7:34 AM PDT
In reply to: How about

I have seen two of the models shown at Circuit City, and I will look into the others. Living in earthquake country, I need to make sure that the stands are solid and secure, although I will strap the stand to the wall anyway. The Z-line Phantom 50, available only at Circuit City, is similar to those shown on your link, and also has plenty of room for components........it is given rave reviews by those who have it; http://www.designjournalmag.com/product/Phantom_Mount.htm
(the price is now about $40 less)

I will check out the models on your link that are at Circuit City, too. They do have the capability of placing the TV higher from the floor than the Phantom 50.

Miki

Thanks again.......Miki

Collapse -
Exact measurement
by longwong15 / May 7, 2007 1:30 PM PDT

It's exactly 31 inches from the floor the base of the Sony XBR2 - just measured it myself - get rid of the box spring?

Collapse -
longwong15-you read my mind....I was hoping you would......
by michhala / May 7, 2007 4:30 PM PDT
In reply to: Exact measurement

......think to do that. You saved me a third trip back to CC with my measuring tape. Thank you so much.

The first time I measured, I came home with 32" from the floor; the second time, they moved the stand with the XBR2 mounted on it to another location and I came home with 34".....and you came up with 31".....I was just getting used to the mock-up placed at 34" Sad

The mattress and box spring are new and one cannot be without the other....they are California King. The box spring frame is the lowest at 7". I bought them just before I sold my house.....did not foresee such a problem.

There is an OmniMount Flat Panel Floor Stand G3FP that measures 50" high, same as the Phantom 50......so it most likely will also place the TV 31" from the floor.

Woe is me :)......maybe someone will answer the question in my original post about mounting on wall without destroying it.

>>Because I am leasing, I would like to mount TV with as litte damage to the wall as possible, so there will be no problems with management if and when I move. To accomplish this, I am thinking of having the TV mounted on the wall, but to not pull the wires/cable into and behind the wall. The hanging wires can be covered with wide white plastic molding made for this purpose and a component stand beneath. What I need to know is this: I have been told that the mounting plate does not leave excessively large holes in the wall and is not difficult to remove if need to do so. Is this all true? I do not have confidence in the source of this information.

Miki

Collapse -
RE: 40XBR2
by Esw88 / May 8, 2007 4:42 AM PDT

It has been said many times here on this Forum, by others, that unless you go bigger than a 50" TV, 1080P is a waste of money since you really can't see the difference. Is there an alternative to the Sony XBR? What are you buying the 40" XBR? Just curious?

Collapse -
Re: 40XBR2
by michhala / May 8, 2007 6:45 AM PDT
In reply to: RE: 40XBR2

Hi Esw88 -- I have always had Sony TVs and been happy with them, so buying that brand is a given. It is not easy deciding what and which HDTV to buy and I have done research. Since I am not on a budget, rather than compare models from here to eternity, it is easier for me to get the top-of-the-line and one that is highly recommended........ and that appears to be the XBR2. Since it is for a bedroom, the 50" is too large and the 40" seems right for me.

Miki

Collapse -
RE: Sony XBR
by Esw88 / May 8, 2007 9:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: 40XBR2

The reason for my question is, I am probably going to buy two Sony TVs. The first will be either the XBR2 46" or the 52". The second will probably be a 40", for the bedroom. I was wondering if I really needed the the 1080P model for the bedroom.
BTW, the XBR2 40" is $2199 at J&R.

Collapse -
Re Sony XBR
by michhala / May 8, 2007 1:57 PM PDT
In reply to: RE: Sony XBR

Hi Esw88 -- Thank you for your post.....now I understand why you posted. I know the price at J&R and am anxious to take advantage of it.....methinks the price has been the same since before March Madness.

Are you planning on mounting the 40" for the bedroom on the wall? If I was still in my house and not leasing, I would not hesitate to do so. It looks like, lease or not, I am going to have to put holes in the walls since I cannot find a stand high enough to accommodate my high bed. I love my bed.....but did not foresee running into any logistical problems because of it......it also causes my nightstands to be too low.

Good luck with your TVs.

Miki

Collapse -
wall mounts
by bevillan / May 8, 2007 11:53 PM PDT

I don't know if I would trust a wall mount with a TV over 40", especially a Bravia. I know that I shouldn't be worried but when you think about it, you are trusting a handful of screws and some wall studs with your $3000 HDTV.

I'd rather put it on a dresser.

Collapse -
wall mounts
by michhala / May 9, 2007 6:08 PM PDT
In reply to: wall mounts

bearvp -- Methinks the mounts are pretty reliable, but I am not going to have anything on the wall over 40". I worry about everything..... on the wall or on a stand.....this is earthquake country.

Miki

Collapse -
Will a wall mount safely support Sony Bravia 40" flat panels
by wallmountworld / May 20, 2010 12:28 AM PDT
In reply to: wall mounts

Most Sony Bravia 40" weigh in around 40 lbs give or take. There are several wall mounts carried by Wall Mount World like the Solidmounts UT-600 that supports 175 lbs. The WMW-3758SF supports up to 150 lbs. One key point which your mentioned was about wood studs. It is very important that anytime your are mounting into wood studs that you hit the center of the stud for maximum strength. Pre drilling the holes also makes it to where you are less likely to break off a lag bolt while screwing it into the stud.
Read and follow the wall mounting instructions that come with it. Use the required amount of lag bolts to ensure a postive connection to the wall. Last but not least if you are a do it yourselfer be sure to get help while handling your Sony 40" HDTV. It would make for a bad day if you accidently dropped your TV while hanging it on the wall. It would be nice if you had at least three people for doing and install.

Below is a link to Sony Bravia compatible mounts found at www.wallmountworld.com there you can search by Sony TV size and model number.

http://www.wallmountworld.com/category_s/258.htm

Collapse -
RE; Mounting TV
by Esw88 / May 9, 2007 2:14 AM PDT

Hi Miki,
Actually this is for my son's house as I am buying the TVs as a gift. The wall mount in the bedroom is difficult as the spot for the TV is not directly in front of the bed. He could go with the Articulating mount, but that costs almost as much as the TV. I think he is going to put the TV on top of an armoire and put the cable box, DVD, etc. inside the piece.
If you can find the studs (wood) easily, the wall mount is not that bad.
Good luck,
ESW88

Collapse -
Re: Mounting TV
by michhala / May 9, 2007 6:14 PM PDT
In reply to: RE; Mounting TV

Thanks for posting, Esw88. What a nice gift for your son!

I am now thinking of buying a new bedroom set with a dresser between 37" and 44" for the 40XBR2.

I'll post when I find the solution......thank you everyone for your help.

Miki

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.