Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Wal-mart ilo 256 MG - Any thoughts?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wal-mart ilo 256 MG - Any thoughts?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wal-mart ilo 256 MG - Any thoughts?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
remember you get what you pay for...

In reply to: Wal-mart ilo 256 MG - Any thoughts?

Would you buy food from Home Depot, probably not. Mp3 player made for Walmart, should have great sound and features. NO, there are many flash mp3 players on the market for very good prices. iRiver, Creative, Rio, etc. all make very good players, any of those players are much better than a garbage walmart brand player.

Collapse -
Well...

I did a little searching. It turns out that the iLo MP3 player is made by Rave-MP, based out of Arizona. (I checked the ''product warrenty'' supplied on the Walmart site, found a customer service phone number, and ran it through Yahoo search. Amazingly, the two companies have the same phone number, even though they're supposedly not related. ;)) While I've never heard of Rave-MP before, Cnet has given them fairly good reviews on the Go Video rave MP Sport and the GoVideo Rave MP Style Arc 5.0. Note, however, that these represent the "Rave MP" brand quality...the iLo MP3 players are made in a different plant, so the quality may vary.

Back to the Ilo version, I was only able to find one review, but it contains more information than you'll ever need/want. (Click here for the book ;)) Some would consider its 90-day warrenty a turn-off, but I had a TV with a 1 year warrenty last 14 years (perfect picture until it was struck by lightning), so it may outlast its more expensive competition...who knows? Overall, the review is pretty good considering the price, so it's worth taking a look at. Worst case scenerio: you purchase it, take it home, find out it doesn't work the way you expected, and have to return it.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Thanks for the replies, guys....

In reply to: Well...

I actually had narrowed my choice down to the Creative Muvo Tx FM, but when couldn't find the "color" skins at our local stores, I started searching on the net again and saw the Ilo and just wondered if anyone had ever heard of them...I will probably just hold off on the purchase and learn a bit more and make the decision based on my needs rather than hurry and buy an MP3 player for my daughter (who actually hasn't begged for it in the first place...just mentioned that she'd like an Ipod when someone asked her what she wanted for her birthday...that and a puppy or a TV for her room!)She hardly even uses her little CD player! I will probably order the Muvo Tx for myself...Thanks again for all of your advice!

Collapse -
Just a little tid bit

You could get the mp3 player you have listed and just get an FM MODULATOR. This way the mp3 player can be played on any fm radio. They also sell these at walmart

Collapse -
mp3 players

MP3 players can be hard to use because you have to upload files via a USB cable, and they might not always be plug-n-play, etc etc. You should hunt down one that plays MP3s off an SD flash-memory card... these can be had for as little as 40 bucks, although you're going to end up paying another 25 for a flash memory card. This is perfect if you have a flash drive in your computer already.

Here's one I found for 50 bucks:

http://www.proporta.com/F02/PPF02P05.php?t_id=1187&t_mode=des

Collapse -
Found another site with a fairly good review

I found another site which has a fairly good review.

The shortened URL for it is:

http://tinyurl.com/6e6kj

The basically claim the sound on it is fine. The FM tuner is a bit stacticy on some stations which are normally clear. The sound recording capability is primative. The display is good and easy to read, and has a back light. And it's only expandable to having a 512MB external card.

But for the money they claim it's good as a player.

Also Wal-Fart claims that it cannot be used for data storage, but it can - just like a digital camera can also.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.