Desktops forum

General discussion

Wait for Vista or buy an XP?

by whizkid454 / May 3, 2006 6:10 AM PDT

I need a new computer anytime and don't know if I should wait for Vista to come out. If I dont wait I'm thinking of getting a Dimension E510. Any suggestions or hints?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wait for Vista or buy an XP?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wait for Vista or buy an XP?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That's 2007 if you wait.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 3, 2006 6:34 AM PDT

If you can wait that long.

What's in Vista that you need?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) 2007 and still counting
by phrubin / May 5, 2006 7:59 AM PDT
Collapse -
Why wait?
by doc101 / May 3, 2006 8:19 AM PDT

Buy the best you can afford if you need a new computer. Who knows when the elusive Vista will come out and how buggy the first release may be. Any of the better units today will take Vista later if you feel it necessary.

Collapse -
"Experts" say...
by linkit / May 3, 2006 11:19 AM PDT
Collapse -
depends
by wantondstrction / May 4, 2006 9:11 PM PDT

Well that all depends, how much do you wanna spend? What excites you about vista?

From what I hear Vista will be a resource hog, so it would probably be important to make sure you have quite a bit of RAM at your disposal. Which I see the e510 has only 256mb standard.

Also, if you're wanting to make the jump to 64 bit processing (which I really don't recommend to anyone, yet. I've tried it, trust me.) I'd say go for an Athlon 64. Bear in mind 64 bit stuff is kind of still in it's early stages and there's not a whole lot of options as far as programs or games go.

Right now, I'd just bite down on XP and upgrade to vista whenever it may come out. That is of course, you think it's really necessary to get vista. Sure, at some point all windows users will be pushed into vista, but that won't be for a while.

Collapse -
No better time than now to
by TigerG / May 4, 2006 11:12 PM PDT
Collapse -
life of a pc
by topfrog / May 4, 2006 11:26 PM PDT

PCs have a phyical life span. Heating and cooling in time cracks electrical connections in things like your power transformer. Plastics age and crack. Unless you want to spend a lot of money labor wise or are trained in doing PC repairs the odds are you will have to replace your new PC before Microsoft abandons XP.

So far, CPU speed wise, the best PC on the market is out of date every three years. I would not say that the HP 530 Pentium 4 with Hyper Threading Technology, that I bought last year, is the best Pentium 4 processor on the market. But I would think that it is close. Yet when I installed Comcast's software for their high speed broadband connection I got a warning message that my CPU was 1 MH too slow by their standards.

Even after Microsoft abandons XP it will still work as long as you have a legal copy and as your PC works. Example: My mother has both XP and Windows 95 on her computer. Her first PC came with Windows 95. She bought a new HP PC but likes some of the software in Windows 95 better. She had my brother add a second hard drive for Windows 95 to her PC and spilt her main hard drive into two partitions. XP controls her computer, but she spends most of her time on the computer on 95.

I say if you plan to buy a new PC think about buying the same brand as your old PC. Talk to seller's PC people or go on their web site and ask to make sure that your old memory is compatable with your new PC. Then, while wearing all natural fibers ground your self to metal to get rid of any static, use the memory from your old PC to add additional memory to your new PC. For a fee most PC sellers have people that will do that for you.

Collapse -
Why windoze?
by vinster / May 4, 2006 11:39 PM PDT

Unless you're bothered about games and some other high end apps why not look at Linux ''Fedora core 5'' for example? for average home computing it's excellent, internet, email clients, audio, video, word processing. If you haven't already done so, it's worth a look and not as arcane as it used to be. To top it all the operating system is free and so are the apps, won't cost you a penny/cent (whatever). For example you can freely download Openoffice (openoffice.org, which incidentally is available for windoze). It does all microsoft word does, reads and saves as word docs with the exception of reading MS access files and it has its own version of that! Just thought I'd offer my two penneth.

Collapse -
Wait for Vista or buy an XP?
by hgs / May 5, 2006 12:12 AM PDT

Neither, nor. Buy a Mac !

Collapse -
To Vista or Not!
by jaytmoon / May 5, 2006 12:16 AM PDT

Any good OTC power pc will likely run vista when It (ever finnally) arrives. I don't plan on getting Vista till my XP disk decays from over use! Think about the History of MS operating systems. Every one of them had some issues when first released. The major issues took many months and much grief to clients before getting fix's. As Microsoft OS's go, I think XP is the best that's come along in a while for home users (Win2000 for business). It's established, fairly stable and there's lots of software around to run on it. Yes, there is Linux in all its variety, If you want to explore that avenue. And there is Also Apple's OS but with the Intel platform, there will now be security issues that Apple has not needed to deal with before, leaving the users open to virus and security problems. At least windows xp has got most of the security problems under control.
I am building a gamming/media box now with XP Pro on one partition and XP bit on another.
Good luck in your decision.

Collapse -
Don't wait for Vista
by chasemm / May 5, 2006 12:38 AM PDT

Don't wait until 2007 for Vista; buy a new PC with XP2 instead. At this point there have been many patches for XP and a lot of the kinks have been worked out. Never buy version 1.0 of anything especially an operating system and especially Windows! In all likelihood you'll be getting a beta version at best.

Collapse -
You won't enjoy using Windows Vista
by rbtcnd / May 5, 2006 6:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Don't wait for Vista

Go and read Download.com's blogs about Vista. I even tried using a beta version of Vista just to prove if the posted blog about it is true, it actually is! If you do managed to buy Vista, administrator rights will only be given to a few lucky ones! The entire concept of Vista's security is disabling any configurations done to the OS because according to Microsoft, spyware infections are caused by misconfigurations done to OS, even customizing the desktop so that the shortcuts you''ll probably want in there will not be allowed.

Collapse -
Think a minute
by Willy / May 5, 2006 1:05 AM PDT

Until Vista is engraved in stone don't wait if you need a system. By the time the Vista dust settles it will be commonly known what really works and what doesn't what's needed to truly be happy in the Vista world. Already MS has pshed back the release date and if you can wait that long, OK but if you can't a decent new system should provide the basic basis to upgrade to Vista provided you got a top end system that could more easily support Vista. See, what's happening here, until things really are out there alot is left to chance. Up to you....

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
It's always better to wait
by garrybarton / May 5, 2006 1:27 AM PDT

It's always better to wait to buy hardware. If you don't have to have the new PC now then wait. Even if you have to wait for 18 months. You'll be glad you did. I'm waiting and I have a old Athlon XP 2200. It does what I need even though it's slow by todays standards. If it blows up then I'll be forced to get something now. Just watch the advertisements, every couple of months something newer, faster, better, and cheaper is offered.

Collapse -
You're fine buying the dual core
by cynmercy / May 5, 2006 2:11 AM PDT

Hi
You mentioned buying the E510, which I believe is a dual core, so you should be fine as it will support and make full use of Vista when it comes out.
I would check to make sure if Intel is coming out with any other enhancements over the next few months, such as Viiv.
A good buying decision should be made by considering all factors, hardware and software.
Best of Luck
Sid

Collapse -
No question here..............
by logger99 / May 5, 2006 2:18 AM PDT

The newest Windows won't be relesed to the public until at least January of next year. Then go the normal self-imposed 9 month wait to buy so some of the bugs can be worked out before purchase/install. It's best to stick with XP (Pro version) for now and probably the next year or so. The patches and fixes that are currently coming out "finally" make the OS XP operate a little better than when introduced. There's no doubt that Win 95 and Win 2000 were the real champs from MS. Give the new OS time to "prove" itself and don't forget that there are six versions of the new Vista and the "Basic" isn't close to being as "good" as XP. The higher cost versions will be the only way to go if switching. There's nothing to gain by switching to the low cost Vista versions (except maybe headaches!!!).

Collapse -
Need vs Want
by john55440 / May 5, 2006 4:04 AM PDT

If you need a new computer, you should probably get it, because it's going to be a pretty long wait before Vista is released.

If you only want a new computer, then it might be worth the wait.

I have a 2002 computer, and am hoping that it doesn't die before the release of Vista. (I'm trying to wait, but might not be able to.)

Collapse -
Waiting for it to die?
by phrubin / May 5, 2006 8:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Need vs Want

I still have my first computer that had windows (3.1).It is a Gateway 2000 (the old name for Gateway) 486DX2-66. I bought it in 1994 and Gateway upgraded it to 3.11, then windows 95. It still is functional. The only thing wrong is the battery is dead. (I don't use it, not sure why I keep it) In fact, I now have a collection of 3 dektops and 1 portable. Only one desktop is current, but they all work.

Why should yours die?

Collapse -
Bigger Question..
by sergrock92 / May 5, 2006 6:57 AM PDT

Why would you consider a Dell, Gateway, Or any other Big Box PC to begin with? Either build it yourself or if you have no desire to do so, find a local White Box builder to do business with. He should be able to give you local service and warranty with the machine that far surpasses any Giant UPS shipper box builder.

If your machine will do for now, It meets your needs, use it until it dies. Right now your not only waiting for Vista but there are all sorts of changes in the PC Market happening. If you wait you will probably find much more powerful machines available for a lot less cash. Which is always the case but to couple it with a new OS can be quite a deal.

Collapse -
Is Vista going to be another Windows ME
by charliebach101 / May 6, 2006 3:36 AM PDT

When Windows ME was advertised it was going to be the next best thing to sliced bread,I was quite new to PCs in those days and decided to buy a Windows ME PC

What a mistake that was, but it made Microsoft a nice little profit, so one is bound to be a bit dubious,
also how many service packs and patches will it take to get the thing stabilised.

I think i will hang fire for a year or two and stick with XP till of course that gets mothballed.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?