Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

W95 floppies. . .

I've been given an old laptop running W95. A whopping 252 Meg HD with 12 Meg RAM. Just to play with. It has a track ball but it won't run a mouse. Even an old PS/2.

Is there anywhere I can find the W95 floppies?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: W95 floppies. . .
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: W95 floppies. . .
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Ebay,

In reply to: W95 floppies. . .

Collapse -
Yeah, never mind. . .

In reply to: (NT) Ebay,

In trying to enable the mouse port in the BIOS, I found the BIOS dated 1995, and the chip is a blistering Cyrix CX-486 DX-2 running at an eye-popping 66 MHz. I found it at the ComputerJunk Museum.

It's now in many pieces on my desk. The battery will make a good door stop.

Collapse -
I used one like that,....

In reply to: Yeah, never mind. . .

Found an old DOS JPEG viewer CVPIC and used it as an electronic picture frame.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: W95 floppies. . .

www.bootdisk.com W95a is a bit different than later W95 boot floppies, but I'm guessing you want the W95 install floppies, and you'd better have a good floppy drive. Also, look in windows>options>cabs to see if the W95 cab files are there, then use that address when the PC calls for the install floppies.
The problem may be in Device Manager. Run the scan in control panel>add new hardware, but I assume it's already calling for the install floppies.
As Proffitt usually points out, you didn't include other useful info such as Laptop brand-model, processor, W95A or later,modem,CDrom drive, how much of hard drive is used up?
The point being that you're limited if you have only a floppy drive to load stuff.
Does your laptop have a small Hdd limit of 540mb or less?
Whatever, you can cheaply buy (ebay) a 2.5" to 3.5" Hdd adaptor so you can slave this small Hdd into a regular PC, regular IDE ribbon, and copy over whatever you want, if you cleanup and have the space. W95 install folder is about 90mb. It's good to update to B or later.

Collapse -
Re: W95 floppies. . .

In reply to: Re: W95 floppies. . .

Well, it's toast.

252 Meg HD, hot swappable.
12 Meg RAM, NOT upgradeable.
No CABs folder.
No CD-ROM.

After I disabled the track ball in the BIOS, in order to try to get the mouse to work, the keyboard was disabled too. Couldn't get back into the BIOS. I had already thought about getting an adapter cable for the HD. But three Zip-floppies will hold more data. Definitely not worth the time and expense.

It's a DGi model D-40.

Current use - trash.

Collapse -
Trash? bummer...

I usually like the challenge-learning of making an old duck quack. Can't imagine BIOS problem. Usually, firing up w/o the hdd plugged in will run things on default of allowing entrance to bios, unless integrated keyboard got unplugged or win drivers are required. Also, a serial mouse should work if you have a serial port.
Doing an improper shutdown-turnoff after Win half loads should reboot in safe mode and allow keyboard use to re-enable stuff, or serial mouse at least (used about $4).

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.