Windows 8 forum

General discussion

W8 loses wi-fi connection often

I have HughesNet satellite modem service. If I have the modem connected directly to my W8 Gateway new computer, I have no issues with the connection. However, when I have company here who have wi-fi type devices (Ipads, cellphones, etc) and I connect my computer via the wireless router instead, their devices have no issues connecting to the internet or texting, but my Gateway W8/IE service loses the network connection frequently and I get a window (after the normal 'page cannot be found' error) that has a link to reset the router. Once that happens and everything is back on track, the Gateway will work correctly again for an hour or two and then it will happen again.

I've got a Belkin 3937 router that is only about six months old and cannot for the life of me figure out why it loses the connection on the Gateway frequently but no other devices. I've gotten to the point where as soon as my company leaves, I disconnect the route and again have a wired connection from the computer to the modem just to stop the aggravation.

Any clues????

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: W8 loses wi-fi connection often
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: W8 loses wi-fi connection often
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Since 802.11n in the 2.4GHz range has one nonoverlapping

In reply to: W8 loses wi-fi connection often

Collapse -
Router could be the issue or the lazy network..

try to upgrade your channel and if that don't work than it must be your network performance, Just click on the button at http://www.netscan.co/ to perform a series of network tests for modern Web Services like WebSockets, WebRTC and XHR. A full profile of your browser, operating system and the environment will be created. A URL will be given which you can then share with us to get your connectivity problem diagnosed.

Collapse -
Windows 8.1 Wifi problem

There is a problem with Windows 8.1 whereby many people have problems with network access, especially wifi. For me, wifi access suddenly became a huge problem about a month ago. I did a lot of searching on-line (using an old Windows XP computer) and found many work-around solutions but none worked for me. Fortunately, I had an Acronis back up from before I switched to 8.1 and was able to revert to Windows 8. Now everything is working perfectly again.

I do not know what Microsoft changed in the network access software between 8 and 8.1, but I sure hope they fix it soon. I did not really notice much of a change when I went from 8 to 8.1, but I am sure noticing the differences now. I would like to get back to 8.1, but without wifi, it is not much use to me.

I do not know if the 8.1 problem is what you are facing, but for sure, many people are facing this issue.

Collapse -
I continue to encounter the issues with WiFi

In reply to: Windows 8.1 Wifi problem

We resolve them without touching the Windows OS. However since folk are having issues they may think it's a Windows issue and dismiss that it still takes some knowledge of networking.

Have we reached the day where this must work without being a network or computer guru?

(I'm thinking yes)
Bob

Collapse -
I have same problem like yours

In reply to: Windows 8.1 Wifi problem

Hi,

I have same problem like yours. After I upgrade from window 8 to 8.1, I had problem access my network.
It will take me few try or keep log in or tried to log on other web side, than it connected. I hope someone at Microsoft can read the problem and come up with a patch.

Collapse -
too many wife signals in small area maybe

I heard this outraged scream from my youngest who was cut off from a chat on her computer with a friend, all because her wireless which works flawlessly most times suddenly cut out. Hmm, what was different. Oh yes, her older sister was visiting with her own laptop and had just recently turned it on. Culprit discovered, the windows 7 laptop internal wifi signal was somehow interfering or blocking the slightly more distant desktop wifi connection to the router. I had my oldest check her signal settings and she was able to reduce it's range setting. I had the router setting turned down lower to keep it's footprint not far out of the yard area, so I turned it's power percentage back up a bit. Problem solved.

Collapse -
backwards

"I've got a Belkin 3937 router that is only about six months old and cannot for the life of me figure out why it loses the connection on the Gateway frequently but no other devices."

Don't blame the router if it's working for everyone else. Your neighbors may like it even better than your last router. Wink It's the ability of the Gateway to hold the signal, probably low strength.
Collapse -
Well is it a laptop or desktop?

In reply to: backwards

When you have people over using the wireless are you moving the computer. You computer whether it's a laptop or desktop has a card for wired connection and a separate card for wireless connection. The wireless card could be bad. I would try is at Mc Donalds or Starbucks if it's a laptop. If you have problems there you are eliminating that the router is having issues which I doubt anyways.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.