Question

W7 Pro multiple partitions question

I have a 6 month old Samsung ultraportable that has developed Windows problems and I am trying to re-install Windows 7 Pro. The history is that Windows 7 Home Premium came pre-installed, and I upgraded to 7 Pro right after I bought it, with no problems. Everything has been great until the last 2 weeks when the laptop would not start. After trying multiple times to recover, including the Windows recovery disc and Samsung's internal recovery options, I have given up and am now attempting a clean, fresh re-install. I have already done this once (yesterday) and I am having the same non-start problems.

In an attempt to do this in a truly clean way, I want to wipe out everything that might be leftover. My question is how to do this, particularly regarding the partitions that are already setup on the laptop. Here are the partitions that setup is finding:

Disk 0 Partition 1, 10.6 GB/0.0 MB free; "Primary"
Disk 0 Partition 1, 4.3 GB/4.3 GB free; "OEM (Reserved)"
Disk 1 Partition 1, 100 MB/70 MB free; "System"
Disk 1 Partition 2, 446 GB/393 GB free; "Primary"
Disk 1 Partition 3, 19.7 GB/959 MB free; "OEM (Reserved)" - this one is also named "SAMSUNG_REC"

Questions:
1. Should I leave all these partitions intact, or delete them and start over?
2. If I should leave them intact, into which partition should I install the fresh version of Windows 7 Pro?
3. What is your advice on whether other partitions should be set up for A) programs, and B) data (documents, photos, music, etc)?

Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: W7 Pro multiple partitions question
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: W7 Pro multiple partitions question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Your choice here.

I restored a Samsung recently using restore DVDs I created when I got the machine. I removed all the partitions so I had a blank drive then booted the first restore DVD and followed the instructions on screen. PAINLESS.

As to what Window 7 DVD you have now, what is "CLEAN"? You encounter folk that are trying to avoid the apps that make today's laptops work and you have to give them time to crash many times before they give up and use the restore media.
Bob

- Collapse -
Painless sounds great - nothing to lose?

Hi Bob - thanks for the quick reply. Your suggestion is VERY tempting. I would love to delete all the existing partitions. However, I have also seen posts where it is suggested that the OS be installed into a dedicated partition, and all the data into a different partition. What is your view on that? Thanks.

Dennis

- Collapse -
False security.

I've seen folk do that and claim it will save their files. The truth is that it doesn't always work and most users are then asking why the apps don't use their data drive.

If you feel you want to try your hand at controlling the partitions rather than using the PC, I think you should do that. It's your hardware, your choice.
Bob

- Collapse -
Painless works

I would suggest you use what Bob suggested and not delve into what others claim to work...just my opinion based on my experience...

CNET Forums