Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

vxdisrva

Does anyone know what the vxdisrva service does?

I get an error message in the system event log every time I boot telling me that the service cannot be started (file not found).
I have searched the web but can find no reference to a service of that name.

I am running xp pro + service pack 3.

I could simply remove the registry entry that attempts to start the service, but I would like to know what it is first.
It might even be a virus/trojan.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: vxdisrva
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: vxdisrva
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yep I see

In reply to: vxdisrva

that the only Google entries for this vxdisrva are your own searches for a solution to this, and there is nothing else available in searches.

Congratulations, it's not often we are the 'only' contributors to a word or phrase, Happy

It seems you have already searched through MSCONFIG, the System Configuration Editor and you have stated it could be something you have disabled there. I'm surprised there is nothing definite though because if this error occurs on each boot up, I would have expected that the MSCONFIG utility Startup tab would have shown a PATH for some Legacy software. I have found that the column for Path in MSCONFIG has to be stretched to the right by dragging the column header to see full path entries.

I wouldn't suggest tampering with the registry as that could cause other problems, although you could have a quick look at the Run, RunOnce etc entries as explained here;
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/179365
They may offer some clues.

Other than that, you may have found a further clue in the other Event Viewer entries, eg "DCOM 10005 errors (service database locked)". it may be worth exploring that further.

Let's hope others here have better ideas.

Mark

Collapse -
Re: unknown service

Now go and find out what file executes that service (a .dll or .exe probably). That's in the same services.msc screen where you can disable or enable it.
Looking at the properties of that file (version tab) or even simply the name of the folder it sits in might tell your more.

Kees

Collapse -
seems your query was answered

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!