TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

VSX-918V pioneer receiver problem with HDMI

by Smoothtaker / April 15, 2015 5:07 AM PDT

Hello guys,

I've got the VSX-918V Pioneer Receiver.

There are 2 inputs for HDMI, got a mediaplayer and my PS4. When switching between those by pressing the DVD (mediaplayer) and TV (ps4) button, then it goes to the PS4 or to the mediaplayer.

But if the next setting: 'SETUP -> IN ASSIG. -> DIG. IN -> COAX' is set at DVD. Than I've sound from the mediaplayer.
But when I switch to my PS4 than I've no sound. The 'COAX' setting doesn't seem to change. I need to change that setting to TV and than i've sound.

So that is the problem..

But actually I don't understand what the setting 'COAX' has to do with this?
I've got the input with HDMI so the sound should go through the HDMI input??? And has nothing to do with the COAX settings?!?!?

I hope that you guys understand my problem (my english is not the best)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: VSX-918V pioneer receiver problem with HDMI
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: VSX-918V pioneer receiver problem with HDMI
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
It looks like you can set it up like that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 15, 2015 5:24 AM PDT
Collapse -
Maybe is this more clearr ...
by Smoothtaker / April 15, 2015 5:54 AM PDT

When I use these settings
SETUP -> IN ASSIG. -> HDMI IN -> HDMI 1 -> TV
SETUP -> IN ASSIG. -> HDMI IN -> HDMI 2 -> DVD
SETUP -> IN ASSIG. -> DIG. IN -> COAX -> OFF Then there is no sound at all on both (TV and DVD)

So why do i need to set the COAX to TV or DVD to get sound?

I'm only using the HDMI and I don't have connected any COAX.
<span id="INSERTION_MARKER">http://nl.tinypic.com/r/v66lgj/8 there are the inputs.

Collapse -
some extra info..
by Smoothtaker / April 15, 2015 6:30 AM PDT

I don't have any input on the COAX? Like the picture you can see i only use the HDMI .. Or do i miss something here ... is there something i don't understand?

Why do i need anyway to set the coax setting? Can you explain that to me?

Collapse -
Sorry no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 15, 2015 12:05 PM PDT
In reply to: some extra info..

It should be fine with the defaults using HDMI for both. If not, I can't guess why it does that. Maybe it's a bum unit?
Bob

Collapse -
Please describe the hookups/system in more detail
by Pepe7 / April 16, 2015 12:03 PM PDT
In reply to: some extra info..

My gut says we are missing something here. All makes/models and types of connections, MP3 players, Rolu boxes, etc.- including all cable or satellite boxes in the mix.

Use this format if possible, since it's really easy to follow:

PS4 (HDMI out) --> (HDMI in) Pioneer receiver
Roku 3 (HDMI out) --> (HDMI in) Pio receiver

Pio receiver (HDMI out) --> (HDMI in) Panasonic ST50 HDTV

etc.

The more info you provide, the easier it is to rule out certain scenarios. I do not believe your Pio is faulty, FWIW.

Collapse -
Same setup like yours!
by Smoothtaker / April 16, 2015 3:41 PM PDT

Thankyou for you reply!

But the way how you just describe yours, that's exact the way how mine is connected.

PS4 (HDMI out) --> (HDMI in) Pioneer receiver
Med8ter 600X3D (HDMI out) --> (HDMI in) Pioneer receiver

Pio receiver (HDMI out) --> (HDMI in) Samsung TV (

And now the settings in the receiver
PS4 (HDMI out) --> (TV) Pioneer receiver
Med8ter 600X3D (HDMI out) --> (DVD) Pioneer receiver

BUT NOWW!! When i use this setting:
SETUP -> IN ASSIG. -> DIG. IN -> COAX -> OFF
Then there is no sound at all on both (PS4 and med8ter)
I only hear the sound if the COAX is set at 'TV' or 'DVD' what is just weird .. i think ..

Collapse -
Hmmm
by Pepe7 / April 17, 2015 12:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Same setup like yours!

Let me look in the manual and get back to you. In the meantime, disconnect everything (start from scratch), then perform a factory reset of the receiver w/o anything being connected. Next, go into the manual and do a step-by-step repeat of the initial setup, slowly re-assigning all the inputs.

Clearly, something is misfiring as far as the digital audio assignments are concerned.

Collapse -
i'll try that
by Smoothtaker / April 17, 2015 4:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Hmmm

I tried that 2 times.. but i didn't disconnect the HDMI cables. This time i'll do .. I'll try now

Collapse -
no changes..
by Smoothtaker / April 17, 2015 4:23 AM PDT
In reply to: i'll try that

Nope .. it didn't help .. Sad

Collapse -
I think you need a optical audio connection...
by Oldartq / April 17, 2015 2:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Same setup like yours!

from the tv to the Pioneer. I don see it there in the picture.

Collapse -
Good catch
by Pepe7 / April 17, 2015 2:33 AM PDT

But that presumes he specifically mentions not being able to listen to the built in HDTV tuner, or audio output from particular apps. Those would be good reasons to add the (hopefully now, ubiquitous) digital optical cable.

Collapse -
Know that that works
by Smoothtaker / April 17, 2015 4:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Good catch

I know that an optical cable works.

That is not the question this time .. That solution doesn't declared why i need to change the coax setting to the right input for any sound. There is no logic in that.

Collapse -
nope
by Smoothtaker / April 17, 2015 4:08 AM PDT

No there are 2 inputs en just 1 output on this receiver. Otherwise i couldn't watch tv

Collapse -
Answer
I am really confused but lets try this,
by Oldartq / April 17, 2015 4:46 AM PDT

have both the ps4 and dvd playing, now switch them, any audio coming through the tv or pioneer?

Collapse -
I tried
by Smoothtaker / April 17, 2015 5:40 AM PDT

Yes i tried that.

That depends on how the coax setting is set. If coax is set at 'off' then both have no sound

Collapse -
Maybe I am getting there.
by Oldartq / April 18, 2015 12:57 AM PDT
In reply to: I tried

We are looking for explanation but not necessary solution. Ok, so when it's set coax "off"...do we mean on the tv? I am just kinda curious because I have never look at my own setup in detail, the thing just seems to work. Also sound will be coming out of the tv as well the Pioneer? What tv is it?

Collapse -
Pioneer 918v
by Cwelsh663 / April 20, 2015 7:42 AM PDT

Hi, funny I gave my parent my 918v and I am having the same problems. Working through it. I will let you know what I find. Never had this problem when I owned it.

Collapse -
Finally.. i'm not the only one .. haha
by Smoothtaker / April 20, 2015 3:40 PM PDT
In reply to: Pioneer 918v

Hello, hope that you can give me any directions.
I'm already thinking about it to buy the Pioneer 924.
But weird that suddently also yours have the same problem ..

Collapse -
No the pioneer
by Smoothtaker / April 20, 2015 3:39 PM PDT

No i have nothing to set with the TV. This because the receiver doesn't sent the 'audio' to the TV.
So i'm talking about the COAX setting in the pioneer. I also tried to change the HDMI cables and that also didn't work.
I don't know what kind of TV i have, i'm at work now. But its a Samung TV. 40 inch i think

Collapse -
Let's review manual- p.64
by Pepe7 / April 21, 2015 3:18 AM PDT
In reply to: No the pioneer
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/Manuals/Home/VSX-918V_OperatingInstructions0520.pdf

OK. I see that the default setting for HDMI1 is 'TV'. HDMI2 is 'DVD'. You have the input assignments reversed. Try changing them back to the default setting listed on p.65.

If that doesn't work, plan 'B' would be to use the following connections instead. Since it's a 5.1 receiver and not 7.1, it's an even better plan since you don't get the advanced audio codecs of content coming from either input.

PS4 (HDMI out) --> (HDMI in) Samsung HDTV
"" "" (digital optical out) --> (digital optical in) Pio receiver

Med8ter 600X3D** (HDMI out) --> (HDMI in) Samsung HDTV
"" "" (digital optical out) --> (digital optical in) Pio receiver
**this presumes your media player is capable of simultaneous output via HDMI & toslink

-OR*-
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*assuming that the media player can only use EITHER HDMI -or- digital optical at any one time-

PS4 (HDMI out) --> (HDMI in) Samsung HDTV
"" "" (digital optical out) --> (digital optical in) Pioneer receiver

Med8ter (HDMI out) --> (HDMI in) Pio receiver

Pio receiver (HDMI out) --> (HDMI in) Samsung TV
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would also try changing/assigning the HDMI2 input to 'DVR'.

It's important before trying any of this, that you perform another factory reset to clear out all settings.
Collapse -
I know what you mean
by Smoothtaker / April 24, 2015 10:33 PM PDT

I know what you mean. I know that i can use that configuration.

But that doesn't explain why it shouldn't work through the HDMI with the normal settings.

Collapse -
You are preaching to the choir, amigo
by Pepe7 / April 25, 2015 1:39 AM PDT
In reply to: I know what you mean

Been there, done that ;). In reality, multiple times in clients' homes when things wouldn't play nice in the sandbox after desired equipment was purchased/installed. I learned it is prudent to always have a backup make/model on hand if you require seamless HDMI connectivity. Common knowledge is that there is some degree of trial and error involved sometimes if you need the central AV receiver to do it all.
HDMI/HDMI-ARC do not necessarily work as promised unfortunately ;(. Some of the firmware does get updated luckily to correct issues like this, but not always.

Frankly, circumventing the issue w/ digital optical cables means you don't lose much since 7.1 isn't on the menu very often.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!