Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Desktops forum

General discussion

VPR Matrix Head Ache! I Need Some Help Please

by sideburnz / November 5, 2007 2:49 AM PST

I have a VPR Matrix Series 210, Model FT-6100 running XP home edition with SP 2, 2.53 ghz P4 with 512 MB ram.

Ok here's the problem, while running it will shut itself off and restart out of the blue... no warning, no blue screen of death nothing, just boom restart. After restarting it does a normal load and comes up to say that it has recovered from a serious error and links to Mircosofts utility.

The Utility says to upgrade my bios.

My question how do I know that this is problem? Second if it is the problems how do I go about upgrading my bios... I have always been under the impression that it was hardwired into the motherboard. And third will this fubar the rest of the components in my box?

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: VPR Matrix Head Ache! I Need Some Help Please
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: VPR Matrix Head Ache! I Need Some Help Please
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sounds like heat.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 5, 2007 3:02 AM PST

How long since you cleaned the heatsinks, checked fans?

Collapse -
Sounds like heat
by sideburnz / November 5, 2007 3:10 AM PST
In reply to: Sounds like heat.

I blew it out about two months ago. Is there anything else I should have done?

Collapse -
Try it with the cover off.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 5, 2007 3:39 AM PST
In reply to: Sounds like heat

Part of what is needed is diagnosis. Right now there is only an idea. Remove the case cover and if the issue vanishes or moves to 8 hours you know something you didn't before.

Bob

Collapse -
VPR Matrix
by sideburnz / November 5, 2007 3:43 AM PST

Bob,

Thanks will do and see what happens.

Collapse -
Owner of VPR as well
by GlockNinja / November 5, 2007 7:47 AM PST

I bought my VPR Matrix at Best Buy several years ago. When I bought it, it cost $1399.00 without a monitor. It was almost the type of the line, atleast for Best Buy at that time. It had the most equipment for the money. (2.2ghz Pentium 4, 64meg video card, DVD drive, CD drive, eithernet connections, 3.5 disk drive, and it came with a whopping 512 megs of ram.

Since I bought it I upgraded the ram to 1 gig and upgraded the video card to a ATI 128meg card.

Last year the computer stopped working so I took it to a PC shop and they fixed the system for about $100 bucks. But I wound up losing everything on my Harddrive. I wound up with just Window XP on it.

This year, the computer did what your computer did a few times. Whenever I play my RTS game like Warhammer 40K, the computer will freeze up sometimes.

Two things can be wrong. The computer can be overheating or it may just be very old and ready to retire.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!