Thank you for being a valued part of the CNET community. As of December 1, 2020, the forums are in read-only format. In early 2021, CNET Forums will no longer be available. We are grateful for the participation and advice you have provided to one another over the years.

Thanks,

CNET Support

General discussion

VPN's?

Dec 16, 2005 3:17PM PST

I need a way to access my home computer from my office computer without spending a lot of money on software. Can this be done utilizing Windows? Both computers are connected to routers that are connected to cable modems with dynamic IP's. Both computers are running Windows XP. Any suggestions?
Steven

Discussion is locked

- Collapse -
Check replies in another forum.
Dec 17, 2005 7:58AM PST
- Collapse -
Which version of XP?
Dec 22, 2005 12:39PM PST

If you have Windows XP Professional, Remote Desktop should be given a look, as it's something you already have installed.

Hope this helps,
John

- Collapse -
2 different
Dec 22, 2005 9:26PM PST

One machine has Home and one macnhine has pro.

- Collapse -
Can be tricky
Dec 29, 2005 5:02PM PST

VPN-ing to home networks is tricky because you don;t have a static IP like business networks do. registering your connection with easyDNS will get you an always there connection to a dynamic IP address. registering a domain like vpn.bobshouse.com and attaching a dynamic DNS record to point to your home connection with your router acting as your VPN endpoint would be the best solution next to installing Windows Server on your computer at home. Once that is connected, you can use Remote desktop to connect to your computer. with a little configuration you can send all VPn requests through your router to your computer and you can remote desktop directly using your vpn domain or ip address.