HolidayBuyer's Guide

Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

VPN Connection and Cable wireless router box

by karenvt / February 15, 2008 11:17 PM PST

I recently had a Comcast Cable wireless router connected to my desktop (also have a laptop). Previously, I had just a regular Comcast cable box connection. I also connect to a VPN network (a university)for my Outlook e-mail. Prior to the installation of my new wireless router, I had no problems with my VPN connection to school - now that I have the new router - my VPN connection is unstable and I have problems getting on the internet - either very slow or not at all. As soon as I disable the VPN connection - all is well - even with my Outlook email (although I cannot then receive or send in Outlook). I have contacted the University and they say nothing would have changed on their end and the Comcast people say that as long as I can get on the internet, my VPN connection trouble is not their problem. I didn't have the problem prior to the new router box - so it has to be something with that box, I would assume. I have Windows XP with SP2. Would anyone have any suggestions. and thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: VPN Connection and Cable wireless router box
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: VPN Connection and Cable wireless router box
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No model numbers or settings to work with.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 15, 2008 11:26 PM PST

Looks like you need to talk to Comcast. Or tell more.

Collapse -
VPN conncection
by karenvt / February 15, 2008 11:52 PM PST

I talked to Comcast and they told me as long as I am connected to the internet - my trouble with the VPN is not their problem - they did send someone out to look at the situation - but he had no clue.

As to Model the router is a Netgear Wireless Cable Modem Gateway CG814WG v2. As to settings, you've got me there - what settings are you askign for?

Collapse -
That part number helped a lot.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 16, 2008 12:16 AM PST
In reply to: VPN conncection

Ok, test to see if it's a wifi or a system issue. How?

Turn off your laptop wifi and connect the ethernet cable from laptop to one of the 4 ports then retest.

Bob

Collapse -
VPN connection
by karenvt / February 16, 2008 12:45 AM PST

apparently I did not explain myself too well - (which I was afraid I might) My problem is with my desktop connection with the VPN not my laptop. I do not have the VPN connection with the laptop - only my desktop. I just bought the laptop.

Collapse -
Which we could have skipped the next question which is...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 16, 2008 1:34 AM PST
In reply to: VPN connection

Does said desktop use wifi or is it wired?

Collapse -
VP Connection
by karenvt / February 16, 2008 1:43 AM PST

the desktop is wired to the Gateway wireless modem

Collapse -
That leaves us to the ISP support.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 16, 2008 1:50 AM PST
In reply to: VP Connection

Why? http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/CG814WG.asp writes "These models must use the firmware from the vendor. Do not use other firmware."

So this means we have to use it per their settings.

Why the change to this cable modem + router rather than the more common and cheaper addition of a wifi router to the old cable modem? Which is only asked since we could control a little more about firmware bugs or swap the router if we find an issue with it.

Bob

Collapse -
VPN connection
by karenvt / February 16, 2008 2:00 AM PST

I am not sure what you are telling me but I think you are saying I can't change any settings with this modem so that I would be able to connect with the VPN connection. If I go back to the regular cable modem and then add a wire router - my problem would probably be solved. Am I understanding you correctly? Thanks

Collapse -
Most likely.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 16, 2008 2:20 AM PST
In reply to: VPN connection

That's my bet. It's never absolute. We dead ended on firmware and most settings between the product and the fact it's wired...

Collapse -
ISPs
by samkh / February 16, 2008 12:45 AM PST

generally (and Comcast especially) don't like consumer customers to use their networks with VPN clients because it increases bandwidth consumption, so don't be surprised when you get no support assistance, such as configuring, for it. Did they even give you a User Manual?

Your model is a service provider box, not a retail unit, so Netgear won't help you.

What to do? Tell Comcast to take it back and give you the modem you had previously. Then buy a wireless router which has VPN passthrough (most router nowadays do but get the shop's assurance that if it won't work you can return it for full credit). If you don't have a semi-techy buddy who can help to set it up or can't follow this forum's sticky instructions, pay for the setup service from BB or CC or whoever.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.