HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

VPN

by jkumpula / February 23, 2004 11:11 PM PST

I am wondering if anyone can help me with my problem connecting to the VPN. When trying to connect I get an Error 721: Remote computer is not responding. I have already ruled out the router and the VPN server. I can connect just fine with my user name a password form another PC, using the same router and server. There is something on my own configuration that is causing me not to be able to connect. The VPN Client is not the issue either. I have that set up exactly as the other pc that works. I am using WIN2K Pro, and have both the windows version of VPN Client and another provided by my company. Both give me the same result. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: VPN
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: VPN
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:VPN
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 23, 2004 11:21 PM PST
In reply to: VPN

Try "the usual."

Some firewall is installed. Remember that even when "disabled" they still work. I end up uninstalling such AFTER I update the OS to the latest Service Pack and patches so we don't get the MS Blaster or other worms.

Next, be sure to let your company's IT fix it. It's for their benefit.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:VPN. Oops. Forgot about the router issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 23, 2004 11:55 PM PST

You didn't mention the router make/model. For instance the Linksys BEFSR41 supports just one VPN connection. The subsequent connections fail.

To fix, you go get the VPN router version of the Linksys. Some get upset at this and change makes.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:VPN. Oops. Forgot about the router issue.
by jkumpula / February 24, 2004 12:15 AM PST

There are 9 other people in the office using the same connetion, and so far I am the only one having any sort of problem. I have requested IT support and they have been unable to come up with anything remotely. Looks like they are going to have to come out here and take a look at it. Thanks.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:VPN. Oops. Forgot about the router issue.
by jesterson / March 1, 2004 6:00 PM PST
Collapse -
Re:VPN
by techn0gichida / February 24, 2004 7:16 AM PST

Have you checked the networking setup on this particular box. Maybe even the built-in firewalling capabilities of win2k. remote computer not responding sounds like your local pc isn't accepting messages on some port or protocol. worth a look. hth

Collapse -
Re:Re:VPN
by jkumpula / March 2, 2004 10:01 PM PST
In reply to: Re:VPN

IT has not dug too thoroughly into this for me. They just want to format the pc. What you are saying is the area that I was leaning. I don't think that there are any built in firewalls on win2k, I was told that that didn't come out till xp. I would like to know how to troubleshoot tcp ports on my machine though. What ports will I need open for my vpn to work, and how can I do this. I did have aol instant messenger on my pc, but have since wiped it out. IT seems to think that this took over one of the ports that I need. He didn't sound too sure though so I don't know how far he investigated it...or even knew how to.

Collapse -
Windows NT/2000 does have a firewall.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 2, 2004 10:22 PM PST
In reply to: Re:Re:VPN

I will not debate if one thinks it is or is not, but let me share this...

Look at the TCP/IP SECURITY area in NT/2000 (and beyond?) to see this. Hint: via the TCP/IP Security console located at ... Properties > Advanced > Options
> TCP/IP Filtering.

Again, just offering that such a filter exists.

In closing, any number of MALWARE, pests and parasites hijack the LSP (layered service provider) which causes all sorts of lost time as you search for this or that. Hint: Type LSPFIX at http://www.google.com for more information about the LSP.

Microsoft didn't provide too many repair tools or a "OS integrity" or any "intrusion detection" tools, so the scorched Earth approach is a valid method.

Bob

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.