Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Vote swapping on the net

by TONI H / November 1, 2004 6:41 AM PST

at a site supporting Kerry.....how it works is that in a solid 'win' state for Kerry, a person will vote for Nader instead.....and another person in a 'swing state' that is paired with that person in the 'win' state, votes for Kerry.

And this is ethical???????

TONI

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Vote swapping on the net
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Vote swapping on the net
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
LOL, it's the American way
by W2X3XP / November 1, 2004 6:46 AM PST

Free enterprise, bartering, I scratch your back you scratch mine, where there is a will there is a way, etc.

Collapse -
Now THIS is something that blows my mind!
by W2X3XP / November 1, 2004 6:50 AM PST

I just read about this. Did you know that voting in Oregon is done via the mail? There are no voting polls to go to. I wonder how that would fly in Florida?

Collapse -
Re: Now THIS is something that blows my mind!
by Dan McC / November 1, 2004 11:05 PM PST

Florida can't seem to master the advanced practice of applying stamps and getting envelopes to the post office. The horror of running the entire election this way is too much to contemplate!

Dan

Collapse -
Yes, W2 ..... Oregon has done several things "first"
by MarciaB / November 1, 2004 11:48 PM PST

....this is not always favored by the remainder of the nation Wink
-----------------------------
An article:
http://www.bendbulletin.com/news/story.cfm?story_no=14757
"Oregon voters are ahead of ballot curve

Published: November 1, 2004

By Chuck Chiang

The Bulletin

WASHINGTON ? On Nov. 2, voters from all across the country will be flocking to their assigned polling stations, braving the swarming mobs and waiting in line potentially for hours just to have their voices heard.

All across the country, of course, except for Oregon.

Oregon is the only state that votes entirely by mail.

The state voted to use the system for all general and primary elections in 1998, after a long history of experimenting with the method through special statewide votes, the earliest of which took place in 1993.

"We have been doing this for 20 years, starting with small, local elections where there were concerns of extremely low voter turnout," said John Lindback, director of the election division at the Oregon's Secretary of State office.

Lindback said Linn County, which first used the system, was experiencing turnout below 10 percent for local elections before vote-by-mail.

"If you ask the people working the polls today, they will tell you the number is up significantly from past years," Lindback said.

He speculated that Washington state may also be considering the move to vote-by-mail, citing its high percentage of absentee ballots, 70 percent.

"We get contacted all the time from people wondering how the system works," Lindback said.

Forrest Maltzman, professor of political science at George Washington University, said it is a wonder there are not more states using the vote-by-mail system, which has proven to bolster voter turnout.

"The easier you can make somebody use their vote, the better the system is," Maltzman said. "In my opinion, Oregon's system has done that."

Oregon recorded 80 percent registered voter turnout in the 2000 presidential elections, which ranked first in the nation. Among eligible voters, Oregon's turn-out ranked ninth. Only two more populous states, both with same-day voter registration, had higher turnout percentages than Oregon.

Maltzman added that, while there is always the potential problem that the mail system can be corrupted in a close race, there has been no evidence of any issues with vote-by-mail so far."
-----------------------------------

Oftentimes it has been frustrating to go to the poll booth to vote after the media has already "called the winners." At least this way I feel as if my vote has been cast before the East Coast has already told me that it doesn't matter what I choose.

Collapse -
Deliberate attempt to frustrate the election
by Mac McMullen / November 1, 2004 7:07 AM PST

This is what Dave K was pushing and claimed to have
participated in, in the last general election, AIR.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Those backing a "faux War Hero" must use faux voting.
by Catgic / November 1, 2004 7:19 AM PST
Collapse -
I must be really dense about this, but
by TONI H / November 1, 2004 7:27 AM PST

doesn't it stand to reason that those voting in the swing states would have been voting Kerry in the first place? Or is this intimating that Bush supporters are somehow being 'bought off'?

I guess I'm not understanding the purpose behind the 'swap' votes theory?

TONI

Collapse -
Re: I must be really dense about this, but
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / November 1, 2004 8:46 AM PST

Hi, Toni.

Last time the theory was that Nader needed a certain percentage of the vote (4%?) for the party to become "established." Thus his voters really didn't care about individual states, but wanted to vote for him. This time he's below the radar just about everywhere. personally, I think he's a disgrace -- back in the day of Bush vs. Gore you might be able to claim with a straight face that it made no difference who was elected, but after the way Bush has raped the environmental regs (to take one Nader issue), that claim is simply absurd. He's an extremist of the first order.

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
Re: I must be really dense about this, but
by dirtyrich / November 1, 2004 8:52 AM PST

Rape...nah. Made them seem somewhat reasonable and removed legislation that really did no good? Yup.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Re: This is nothing new and not unique to the democrats
by MKay / November 1, 2004 7:26 AM PST
Collapse -
Re: Vote swapping on the net
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / November 1, 2004 8:02 AM PST

Hi, Toni.

Much less likely this time, because there's no particular state (like oregon last time) where Nader is apt to make the difference. And the Nader voters this time have to be fanatics -- who could trust 'em? Wink

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
I would trust the Naderite
by EdH / November 1, 2004 11:21 PM PST

They're honest dolts. The Democrat? Not a chance!

Collapse -
It's NOT ethical.
by Cindi Haynes / November 1, 2004 8:44 AM PST

And it's not legal, either Toni.

Yet, some people are all too ready to commit voter fraud to get their guy in.

They all whine and cry when Nader runs...but whatever would they do without Nader as the throw away vote?

--Cindi
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email the mods

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Nope! But DK did it last time around and proudly!
by Evie / November 1, 2004 7:55 PM PST
Collapse -
It's not ethical and it's not American
by David Evans / November 2, 2004 12:00 AM PST

Which means that it's exclusively Democrat.

I think that all anti-Americans who participate in such fraudulent schemes to corrupt our elections should be forever stripped of their right to vote. They're a disgrace to real Americans and undeserving of the American privilege they've abused and manipulated.

Ptooey.

DE

Collapse -
Not just the Democrats
by EdH / November 2, 2004 12:31 AM PST

To be fair. But I do believe from all I've read that the Dems are by far the worst offenders when it comes to electoral shenanigans like this.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Unethical and UnAmerican!
by C1ay / November 2, 2004 5:39 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?