TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Voom HD receiver (or other HD receiver/tuner)

by ahi / January 17, 2006 8:39 AM PST

Since Voom went out of business, I have notice some VOOM used receivers for sale. If I have a HD-ready tv and no satellite subscription (yes we do exists), can the Voom receivers be used to receive OTA HD signals (in other words, can any satellite box receive OTA HD signals)?

Otherwise, any feedback on an HD receiver/tuner that can be used for OTA HD signals for under 200? I was thinking about the Humax HD tuner.

Thanks in advance

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Voom HD receiver (or other HD receiver/tuner)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Voom HD receiver (or other HD receiver/tuner)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This might work.
by Art / January 17, 2006 2:59 PM PST

Slighly higher than what you like though. Receiver from VOOM may need activation and there is no one to activate. so be careful.

Collapse -
Voom HD receiver
by jcrobso / January 18, 2006 12:41 AM PST

Dishnetwork bought Voom, now has most of the Voom DH channels as well as thier own. Dish HD recivers also have a OTA HD reciver in them. Maybe give Dish a call and see it they will work a deal with you.
My guess it that the Voom recivers are now boat anchors.

The thing that $ucks is that the are so few set top OTA HD tuners on the market. Only a couple and they are $250.
With the deadline at Feb '09 for the demise of analog TV broadcasting it may be a couple of years before we see a lot of them on the market at a resonable cost.
I don't know of any reviews on them,,if anyone has please post the link.
Here is a Sylvania one at amazon. They also have the Humax one. John

Collapse -
by stewart norrie / January 19, 2006 4:37 AM PST
In reply to: Voom HD receiver

Dis is adding more h.d. channels this year more VOOM etc. But will require a new box, I think I will slide because rite now Iam in hi-def heaven with my old 811 system. Also Dish has added somemore bells and whistles If your over the signal drops out a meter will appear on screen so you can adjust your antenna also when I see 0 I know they are working on there antenna which happens all the time, I do love the Dish network system I receive an awsome hi-def picture from my local over the air network stations and satellite hi-def is awsome

Collapse -
by stewart norrie / January 18, 2006 5:20 AM PST

I have the Dish 811 hi-def system and for $45.00 per month I have basic,hi-def package and 5 channels of VOOM. also has an over the air hi-def tuner, so you can injoy all your local digital + hi-def channels, also the over the air tuner really works awsome If I watch lets say KPIX c.b.s. from san francisco 60 miles and watch it in analog the picture is horrible , but in digital its like the transmitter is next dooe good luck stewart

Collapse -
Yes they do work (with caveats)
by rgakins / January 19, 2006 2:39 PM PST

Yes, you can continue to use a VOOM HD receiver to pick up OTA digital channels, even though the VOOM satellite service is gone. With, that is, the following conditions:
-You must find a receiver which was activated and still receiving satellite programming when it was unplugged. I don't know how many receivers were deactivated remotely by VOOM before they shut down, but some were. Since the company (and service) is gone now, that won't likely happen anymore. If it's not still activated, it's a boat anchor at this stage, although some person with smarts may figure out how to reactivate them in the future.
-It would probably have a higher likelihood of success to get a receiver that was activated and used in your metro area, if that applies. I have seen posts referring to receivers that have the wrong system ID locked in and won't work in another location.
-If you're having trouble getting a VOOM receiver set up to receive OTA signals, don't do a factory reset or authorization reset because they will deactivate the receiver. Reboot the receiver by unplugging the power cord and plugging it back in.
-You won't have a program guide.
Personally, I haven't done this yet, but I'm about to give it a try. I'm repeating the information I've read elsewhere regarding the subject.
For more information, check out the following site:
Hope that helps,

Collapse -
by sears tv guy / January 20, 2006 9:26 AM PST

the above post may work, but I 've got a voom reveiver and it will not do anything but turn on. I hooked an antenna up that picked up on a integrated tv but would not come through on the voom system

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?