Desktops forum

General discussion

VOODOO computers, are they reliable?

by bysusan / January 16, 2007 12:53 PM PST

after going through hell with alienware I think I am going to pick up a voodoo computer. I cant find too many unsastisfied customers from this company, but I am not sure if it is because they are really good or if its because they arent as big as Alienware.

What do you guys think of Voodoo, the Voodoo Omen to be more specific. Does it seem like a good choice for a high end computer?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: VOODOO computers, are they reliable?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: VOODOO computers, are they reliable?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A few notes....
by steve749 / January 17, 2007 12:02 AM PST

Well, HP bought VoodooPC so in a way they are as big as Alienware which is owned by Dell, at least in one way.

If you do order a VoodooPC be prepared for it to take a month or more to be built. I ordered a different model but had a wait time of 45 days from when I ordered it till I received it.

That is a good choice for a high end computer and won a competition over on ExtremeTech for the Ultimate Gaming Machine I believe. It can be rather expensive would be the only caution I'd give.

You may want to visit the forums that Voodoo has called the Mutthaboards if you want some more experiences.

Regards,
JB

Collapse -
thanks, what about there customer service??
by bysusan / January 17, 2007 2:51 AM PST
In reply to: A few notes....

thanks for the info guys. I was kinda expecting the long wait time for my computer. Alienware told me two weeks and it turned into almost 2 months.

I was also wondering how good there customer service is? Can you get on the phone with them quickly, are they nice? can you understand them clearly?

From what I have read they seem like quality built systems. I do have a budget, but as far as these high end computers go, the voodoo omen doesnt seem to outrageous. I went to falcon northwests site, and I couldnt figure out why it was costing so much...

thanks for the help

Collapse -
Pretty good service...
by steve749 / January 17, 2007 3:11 AM PST

They don't have 24/7 support though so you do have to call them when they are open. Calling them works better than e-mail or posting on their forums I've found and so far no waiting for someone. I did find their menu a little odd as it is press 1 for tech support or just stay on the line so there aren't lots of options and buttons to press to get to talking to a person.

Regards,
JB

Collapse -
IMHO my POV
by Willy / January 17, 2007 3:16 AM PST

VooDoo computers are nothing more than top shelf components installed in a great box. They pay attention to details but like anything else there can be problems. They do support or can OC a system but that h/w is meant to take it, so take that into account or is optional. Overall, there are more happy users than not. The same was for Alienware, until they got too big for their britches. You can't build x-number of systems with fine detail under a fast out the door to fill orders which "I suspect" happened with Alienware. The other big gamer or top-end builder is NW Falcon at:
http://www.falcon-nw.com/ should want to check them out. If you can afford to check them out and review the specs, you see there's little difference in the components installed within certain levels. I do want to exclude any paint or outrageous case schemes for practical reasons in pricing, look at the insides.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
this kinda sucks...
by bysusan / January 17, 2007 4:30 AM PST
In reply to: IMHO my POV

I can get an alienware computer, or dell Xps for around 5,300 bucks, and they come with dual 8800 768mb cards. The Voodoo cost the same as them but without dual cards. The falcons look nice but i changed to parts and it was already out of my budget..

Should I go with voodoo and pay the same price for a single card instead of duals?

Should I tell Alienware I want to replace my computer?

Or should I go with a Dell XPS?

Cant afford Falcon...

what do you guys think?

Collapse -
Don't settle...
by steve749 / January 17, 2007 4:44 AM PST
In reply to: this kinda sucks...

Or take Dell since it is the same company as Alienware.

"Gamer Infinity SLI KO" may also be worth a look for a system that uses dual 8800 cards and in the Extremetech article lists it at $3,999 so it is fairly low cost.

JMHO,
JB

Collapse -
Wow. alot cheaper. how good is cyber power?
by bysusan / January 17, 2007 6:09 AM PST
In reply to: Don't settle...

Is CyberPower a good company? I am really considering this computer. What is the general word on CyberPower, are they reliable or do they have alot of issues? thanks man I appreciate it!

Collapse -
run run run
by scoobermen / April 9, 2010 12:03 PM PDT

run and hide cyber power will *uck your world up
run run run

Collapse -
Voodoo PC's
by modelmatrix / June 27, 2008 12:41 PM PDT

Forget gaming - i need a computer i can use in the field and edit video with. How's this 133 stand u?

Collapse -
The voodoo system good if you find out the ware its running
by windwalker1955 / April 9, 2010 3:30 PM PDT

The voodoo got its name from years ago when we would put computers together with anything we had and they worked ...most of the time. thus voodoo

They are systems that have been build from non standard parts..there good they don't have a company name on them.

Just find out what's it running..duo core, amd, good luck

Collapse -
Just a consideration
by linkit / January 17, 2007 9:33 AM PST

You are running into the reasons why high-end gamers like to build their own computers. Many find the little time invested in learning to build more than pays off in the end.

- often cost less
- can be ordered and built within days, not months
- you know the system a lot better
- no parts you don't want
- no software you don't want

Collapse -
yea i know what you mean
by bysusan / January 17, 2007 9:52 AM PST
In reply to: Just a consideration

yea im starting to see that more and more. I dont think I am going to learn all that though, I dont have the time right now. I also want the things only companies can offer, like tech support and a good warranty.

Also I am not an overclocking hardcore gamer, I enjoy gaming alot though. This system however will be more for 3d and 2d art and animation, with some good gaming on the side.

The cyberpowers are much cheaper but I have read too many bad reviews about them. After being burned by alienware, I dont want the same mistake again. So I think I am going to go with a Voodoo Omen.

Collapse -
NEW DELLS
by zkeeper112268 / January 18, 2007 9:59 PM PST

HAVE YOU GOTTEN A VOODOO YET AND HAS ANYBODY SEEN REVIEWS ON DELLS NEW H2C COOLING GAMING COMPUTER I VERY INTRESTED IN THAT ONE

Collapse -
I am ordering a Voodoo
by bysusan / January 19, 2007 5:22 AM PST
In reply to: NEW DELLS

after looking at voodoo and falcon northwest i have decided on a voodoo omen. from what i have researched they seem to be put together with the best craftsmanship. In looking at the parts the prices came up about the same, falcons being a little more exspensive. So it was all bout the company. After enough research I have decided to go with Voodoo.

I looked at the new xps, it looked nice I am just not sure I want to go wit dell because of past experiences. Also the falcon mach v and voodoo omen and area51 7500 out tested the dell xps in the research i found.

Collapse -
Falcon NW, Dell XPS, Voodoo, and Alienware ALX
by silverlight619 / May 30, 2007 12:51 PM PDT
In reply to: I am ordering a Voodoo

Personaly I think that the Alienware has the best bang for the buck but then Falcon NW has that tricked out paint job with the excellent customer service. Voodoo has the awesome components and Dell has that cool form factor. It's really hard to decide but you got to ask yourself which one do you want? And I have a question of my own, does Alienware still have that cruddy customer service that's offered with the ALX systems?

Collapse -
DO NOT BY VOODOO PC... EVER!!!!
by parallox / November 22, 2008 11:56 AM PST

This order was actually placed in late 2004, it's an old order, but it will at least illustrate all the pains I have gone thru in the life of this hellish PC

Originally, I placed my order in November, but changed in mid December. When I mentioned canceling, they said it would be a 25% fee to cancel, on a $6,500 PC, that's just ********. Dell would have let me cancel the day before it was shipped without a "fee".

The order was not received until about March. A month after they had promised delivery. When I opened it, the sound card was sitting inside the case, not even in a slot, and no loose screws in the box. Despite that, system was wired and cabled neatly. Worked great for about 2 months, then the problems came.

I was hearing the sounds of bubbles sloshing thru the water pump, very loud and annoying. I had to contact them about it, and they instructed me how to refill the water tank. I researched this, it was a saitek water cooling system ($200 retail), and the documentation indicated that VoodooPC mounted the tank backwards, and warned NOT to install it that way. My system was running hot, and so hot that eventually I had memory problems. This is a VERY SERIOUS problem, cause one or two bad windows updates with bad RAM will cause your system to get corrupted, so badly in fact I LOST ALL MY DATA! Eventually the leak got so bad, it actually dripped off my CPU down to my power supply. At that point I called their tech support and explained I wanted them to fix the leak, correct the improperly mounted water tank, and replace the power supply as it was now a fire hazzard. To their credit, the RMA was quick and easy, but unfortunatly because of the price declaration, I had to pay additional tarrifs on the shipping, which alerted the state tax collectors in NJ. I had to pay hundreds of dollars more for this POS because VoodooPC didn't properly assess the taxes on the PC. When I did get the PC back, I still had leaks. The top of the water tank was now badly cracked and had to use boat epoxy and caulk to seal it. I still have to refill it from time to time. Memory went bad again, and had to buy new chips to replace the bad ones. It appears that they went bad a third time just recently, except this time the PC doesn't even recognize it now. When I originally bought this system, there was a platinum upgrade plan, allowing you to upgrade it in the future. I really didn't want to buy a new PC so I figured I ask VoodooPC if they could upgrade the components. Their response was, that system is no longer offered by the company. Mine was a Rage SLi, the exact same case as their current Omen system.

At every opportunity, this company and their POS system has let me down. I WILL NEVER EVER GIVE THEM A SINGLE CENT FOR ANY OF THEIR PRODUCTS. I would advise anyone considering them (or their HP equilavlent BlackBird) to look else where for a new system. It is not worth it, not by a long shot. For $6,500, you would expect pefection, and I got a big fat juicy lemon. DO NOT BUY!!!!

Collapse -
Voodoo
by windwalker1955 / April 9, 2010 3:22 PM PDT

The computer got the name years ago when people put anything together and made it work..well most of the time.

The computer is good just find out what ware it has anything weird just don't buy it

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?