Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

vonage phone router and wireless router . . .

helo,

ok i currently have a modem that goes to a router with 2 phone jacks for my vonage phone service and lan 1 out also goes into computer.

according to its setup disk my netgear wireless router wants to be the first router.

i am afraid this will gum up my vonage signal. is it ok to have the wireless router first? anyone with vonage and a wireless router out there who can advise? thanks - fj

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: vonage phone router and wireless router . . .
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: vonage phone router and wireless router . . .
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Vonage

In reply to: vonage phone router and wireless router . . .

If you're using a Linksys router with the RT31P2 Vonage adapter it will work fine. Linksys publishes the procedure on their knowledge base ID 358.
I am using the same system with no problems...essentially you "cascade" the routers...change the router IP to 192.168.15.2...disable DHCP...from your modem you connect to Internet port of the RT31P2...connect "ethernet (1) on the RT31P2 to your router (I connected to "4")

All this may sound confusing, at least it does to me, so your best bet is to check out the Linksys Knowledge base...even ask their tech help via e-mail...that's what I did and they were most helpful.

This system works great with no problems - good luck

Collapse -
Vonage (again)

In reply to: vonage phone router and wireless router . . .

Sorry...I re-read your question and notice that you are using a Netgear router...and my answer was referring to a Linksys router.
I don't think anything would be THAT much different...you still "cascade" as I describe...I would contact Netgear and get their input.

Incidently, my RT31P2 Vonage router is the "first" one in line from the modem.

sorry if I confused you with the Linksys info

Collapse -
thanks so much

In reply to: Vonage (again)

i was feeling kinda frustrated her and you have inspired me. Happy altho it's been rough, using the wizard for the wireless router it gets to a window that asks for admin/ password and i can't get past it. i will talk to linksys help tomorrow. thanks!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.