Thank you for being a valued part of the CNET community. As of December 1, 2020, the forums are in read-only format. In early 2021, CNET Forums will no longer be available. We are grateful for the participation and advice you have provided to one another over the years.

Thanks,

CNET Support

Question

Volvo C70 Stereo won't play certain cd's

Oct 30, 2011 5:15AM PDT

Hi Guys,
I have a Volvo C70 and the car stereo which is a 3 disc changer has never played copied cd's (which is annoying enough) but now it only plays 40% of real cd's.
Is there anything i could do??? I have heard about stereo unlock codes and burning blank cd's a certain way to trick the stereo but im unsure?

Thanks Guys

Discussion is locked

- Collapse -
Answer
Re: car stereo
Oct 30, 2011 5:21AM PDT

All you can do: use a cd cleaner. If that doesn't help: replace the unit.

Most modern players will play copied cd's; some won't. Be sure you buy the right one (so you can return it if it doesn't)/

Kees

- Collapse -
Thanks
Oct 30, 2011 5:32AM PDT

Excuse me im a bit thick when it comes to things like this but:

When you say CD cleaner you mean a cd to clean the laser lens, right?

Also if i got the newer cd changer that fits into my unit that wouldnt make a difference would it as its the 'car/laser' itself that doesnt play the blanks?

Thanks again

Kees

- Collapse -
Re:
Oct 30, 2011 5:38AM PDT

Indeed, I meant a lens cleaner.
A new changer would certainly do the trick, provided the specs are right.

One more remark: it might be cheaper to buy not a changer but a player that can play from a USB stick or connect to your iPod. Even the cheapest iPod can contain the music of many, many CD's.

Kees

- Collapse -
Ipod
Oct 30, 2011 5:40AM PDT

Thanks i was thinking about connecting an ipod should be too hard i dont think...thanks for all your help Kees!!!

- Collapse -
Answer
Car stereo
Oct 30, 2011 5:29AM PDT

Several years ago there were reports that some auto CD players would not play 700 MB media.
But they would play the older 650 MB media.

If you can find some of the older media, you could try it and see if your Volvo will work with it.

- Collapse -
650mb
Oct 30, 2011 5:34AM PDT

so some blank 650mb discs may do the trick?

- Collapse -
Maybe
Oct 30, 2011 5:44AM PDT

It was a reported problem and solution from the past.

Give it a try.

If it works, you can corner the market on 650 MB blank disks.

- Collapse -
(NT) LOL thanks Snapshot!
Oct 30, 2011 5:52AM PDT