Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Volume on XP and date on XP

by fairlopgirl / June 24, 2006 11:11 AM PDT

I have only had XP for a few months - I am gradually making friends with it.

I have two problems for which I can't find the answers.

1. The volume icon keeps disappearing from my taskbar. I check 'put volume on taskbar' each time - but that disappears too every time I turn my computer off.

2. The date doesn't appear when I hover over the time (nothing else does either). I see the tooltips behind the taskbar - how do I bring them in front?

Thank you in anticipation!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Volume on XP and date on XP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Volume on XP and date on XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try this...
by PKsteven / June 24, 2006 12:46 PM PDT

Go to :

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_v.htm

Scroll down to:

Volume Control - The volume icon does not appear in the notification area (system tray)

First run the edit listed, as I found no CD needed then, Go to Start/Run and type in: regsvr32 stobject.dll
Then:

Go to Start/Log off (log off then log back on).
Right-click the taskbar & select Task Manager under Processes tab select Explorer.Exe & End Task. Under Applications tab select New Task, type in "explorer" and click OK.

I just tried it myself and I now have all icons back.

Hope this helps, Paul

Collapse -
Now I've Lost 'Run'!!
by fairlopgirl / June 27, 2006 7:25 AM PDT

I clicked on the link you gave me. Did 'checkpoints' because I am scared to mess with the registry. My computer was blank! Restarted it and did System Restore. Now I've lost 'run'. I don't know when I lost it because I don't use it often. Tried 'search' and can't find it. Help!!

Collapse -
Re: Now I've Lost 'Run'!!
by Tufenuf / June 27, 2006 7:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Now I've Lost 'Run'!!

fairlopgirl, Right click your Start button, choose Properties, Under the Start Menu tab click the Customize button, under the Advanced tab scroll down and checkmark "Run Command", click OK/Apply/OK.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
Volume control disappeared - now I've lost 'run'.
by fairlopgirl / June 27, 2006 10:32 AM PDT

Thanks for your reply, Tufenuf, but I've already tried that - I tried it again after your email and 'run' doesn't appear. What shall I do now?

Collapse -
Re: Volume control disappeared - now I've lost 'run'.
by Tufenuf / June 27, 2006 10:43 AM PDT
Collapse -
Sounds like you have too many problems, suspect...
by DarCLew2 / June 27, 2006 12:03 PM PDT

It may have been a bad install of WINXP, I'd reinstall it after a format which deletes all on your hard drive.
I hag the small box you check to show all updates disappear. I lost all my updates including SP2. Interesting enough that the speed of my modem dropped 3,000 kb/sec(kbs). I'd be concerned at this point that you may be better off with a fresh install rather be dealing with more problems later. Darrell Lewis

Collapse -
Something corrupt..
by PKsteven / June 27, 2006 1:03 PM PDT

I agree with Darrell, and I suspect more problems. This fix has worked for a lot of people including myself. Of course we can't make sure every step was taken properly. My take is to either run sfc /scannow from command prompt or do a fresh install. If items are dissappearing like this, something is definately corrupt.

Paul

Collapse -
A few steps...
by PKsteven / June 27, 2006 1:42 PM PDT

Ok, first do this, hit ctrl-esc see if your start menu comes up, if it does then start exists, just not seen. One other simple procedure may be this, right click your desktop, properties, and choose the original XP theme, apply. See if this repairs your problem. Now, if this won't work run scannow. To do this, you may need your XP disk.

(IF ctrl-esc brings up menu) go to run, type in CMD and click ok. In the command prompt, type SFC /SCANNOW, notice the space between sfc and /slash. Let it do it's scan, insert CD when\if applicable and usually is. This may repair your corrupted files. If this won't work, you may be able to do a repair install go here for the info and scroll down to xp repair install...

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Please read it thoroughly.

Paul

Collapse -
'run' program
by fairlopgirl / June 29, 2006 7:42 AM PDT
In reply to: A few steps...

Thank you everyone for your answers.

XP was installed by a friend who is a professional so I don't think his installation is the problem. I think it is my habit of installing and then uninstalling programs. In particular, I installed/uninstalled a program called 'Brutus' and then didn't understand what AdAware had to say.

I have now restored my computer (to two weeks ago) and have 'run' back. I will quit while I am ahead and put the volume icon on my taskbar each time!

I have downloaded your links and will peruse them. At the moment I will leave well alone.

Thank you again!

Collapse -
re: 2
by FLIPPINABYRD / July 8, 2006 12:11 AM PDT

I did a fix, if you need can get it here:
"http://risc.nm.ru/tooltips fix.exe"

To run it you also need the VB6 runtime,
can be found on microsoft.com

Attention:
There could be some odd behavior with windows that was already opened while running the fix, so reopening them will help.

p.s.: The fix applies HWND_TOPMOST to all windows where "ToolTip" found in it's classname.

Collapse -
date
by fairlopgirl / July 8, 2006 10:42 PM PDT
In reply to: re: 2

Thank you, TSRh, but I couldn't get the site. I tried several ways. Have you given me the right URL?

Collapse -
Re: Hidden Tool Tips Problem
by Tufenuf / July 9, 2006 12:21 AM PDT
In reply to: date

fairlopgirl, For the hidden Tool Tips problem go to the link below and scroll down to Line 321 (left column) and click on ''Tool Tips Hidden Behind Taskbar'' to download a reg file fix. Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it and answer yes to the import prompt.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Tufenuf

Collapse -
Hidden tool tips
by fairlopgirl / July 9, 2006 10:29 AM PDT

Thank you, Tufenuf! It looks like a helpful page - I have put it on my favorites.

Collapse -
Re: Hidden tool tips
by Tufenuf / July 9, 2006 11:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Hidden tool tips

fairlopgirl, I was wondering if you tried that reg fix and if it helped? Here's a link to the main Kelly's Korner site you may also want to bookmark. It's one of the best Windows XP sites on the Internet.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp.htm

Tufenuf

Collapse -
hidden tool tips
by fairlopgirl / July 10, 2006 7:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Hidden tool tips

In the meantime - I have not had the problem!! I have rebooted several times and it hasn't come back. I have had it from time to time previously. So I have downloaded the fix....but haven't had to use it.... Thanks! Thank you also for Kelly's Korner - I shall find it very useful.

Collapse -
Volume Icon not present?
by seafox13 / July 9, 2006 12:16 PM PDT

If you are unable to see the Speaker icon in your system tray, then adjust the following additional settings:
Right-click the taskbar.
Click "Properties".
Select the "Hide inactive icons" check box, under "Notification area", on the "Taskbar" tab.
Click "Customize" Button.
In the Name column, click Volume
Click "Always show" from the drop down list, in the Behavior column.
Click "OK" and then "Apply" Buttons.

Collapse -
volume icon
by fairlopgirl / July 10, 2006 7:28 AM PDT

After I received your message - I checked and it was 'always show'. Thanks for your answer.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!