Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

Volume Normalizing to Cassette Tapes

by Longblades / October 31, 2005 11:36 PM PST

I've been converting old, old LPs and tapes using audio cleaning Lab 3 with great success for about three years now. The CDs I've put together are sounding good at the ice skating arena, where the sound system reduces everything to mono.

Tapes are better for some users but I have a problem with the volumne. The first tape I did sounds as if it was never volume normalized.

Is something lost when going from the computer to cassette tape? The sound when actually recording, with a line in to the cassette recorder from the computer, is fine but the playback from the cassette has some songs way too loud and others barely audible.

I believe the sound card is from Crystal Sound Fusion.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Volume Normalizing to Cassette Tapes
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Volume Normalizing to Cassette Tapes
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You post has far too many questions to answer.
by Kiddpeat / November 1, 2005 3:05 AM PST

You don't say how, or if, you normalized the audio on the computer.

There are lots of potential adjustments and/or problems at the tape recorder, and the playback of the tape.

For starters, I suggest connecting a set of headphones to whatever sound card output (line out?) you are using. Check the volumes there. That will tell you if the problem is in the computer, or further downstream in record and playback.

Collapse -
The old fashioned way? (VU meter?)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 1, 2005 3:21 AM PST

If I think back to how it was done years ago, we had a VU meter and someone with their fingers would bump up or down the volume/amplitude to keep the VU meter from going too low or into the red.

I think this still works.

Bob

Collapse -
Yes, volume was normalized first
by Longblades / November 1, 2005 4:51 AM PST

The audio was normalized using acl3. It was further checked on the acl VU meter. It was further adjusted by ear to compensate for different densities in the music. After that burning directly to CD produces a good mix of songs at similar decibel. But sending directly to the cassette recorder seems to lose all the volume editing. Output from the computer while a cassette is recording can be heard and is fine but final output when the cassette is played back is not.

After making all these adjustments to the sound should I save the final version on the hard drive and then make the cassette recording from that?

Collapse -
I wonder.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 1, 2005 5:51 AM PST

I wonder if you used software meters and such? My post was about the old analogue meters and ears method.

Bob

Collapse -
Meters on the recorder would be the last line of defense.
by Kiddpeat / November 1, 2005 8:22 AM PST
In reply to: I wonder.

If it sounds OK coming into the recorder (that's what you listened to, correct?), then the problem is in recording the tape. How are you connecting to the recorder? If you used the wrong input, there would definitely be a problem. Also, by all means watch the meters and adjust accordingly.

I hope you're not going to say it doesn't have meters.

Collapse -
My Own Answer to My Own Question
by Longblades / January 15, 2007 12:11 AM PST

It has taken a while because I don't have easy access to arenas to test this out in but it seems the problem is threefoldfold. First, by coincidence most arenas around me have tape systems about the same age and they are all wearing out. All four arenas I use have advised me to bring my own player, which helps a LOT. I guess CD players are newer, they seem to be working better.

Second, all four arenas play in mono. My playlists include some old, old music which was originally mono and some in stero. Some in the middle say "the new high fidelity". When played back in mono some songs get louder and some get faint and the problem seems to be exaggerated on tape.

Volume normalizing and VU metres just don't cut it when recording music to be played back in an arena, though it is some help. The CDs that worked best are the first ones I did by ear alone, before I discovered vol. normalizing. The wave pattern and the VU metre may say a song peak is such and such but if the music at that point is violins we probably will have a hard time hearing it at all in the arena. Similarly, a low volume point might be the bass of drums but that will come through loud and clear.

So, I no longer volume normalize. I put all music into mono. I do watch the VU metre but my ear is the best way for me to try to decide how loud to go. Then I still try out a CD RW or tape in the arena before burning or making a final copy. No matter how much I plan in advance sometimes I just cannot anticipate what the sound will be like in a big arena, ice all over, horrible acoustics and differing numbers of people swishing around. And as the ice gets more and more cut up the sound deteriorates, or rather there is competing sound.

Perhaps this will help someone else out. If anyone else out there is putting together music to play in ice rinks.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?