Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Volume license

by beerman55448 / February 5, 2010 9:24 PM PST

I am thinking of upgrading one of my Vista machines to 7. Recently I saw someone on Craigslist selling Windows 7 Home Premium for $45.00/ea. So I e-mailed to see if this was a sealed package, as I wouldn't buy it if it was opened. The seller responded back to say the he owns a "volume license" and it is totally legit.

My question is: is it legal to buy and sell copies of a volume license?

Think I'll just go to Best Buy and get a sealed box, at least I know what I'm getting....

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Volume license
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Volume license
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Watch out sounds to good to be true
by Basket628 / February 5, 2010 10:20 PM PST
In reply to: Volume license

It sounds to good to be true.

Collapse -
Almost certainly not
by Jimmy Greystone / February 5, 2010 10:34 PM PST
In reply to: Volume license

Almost certainly not, and you should post the listing so one of the little Microsoft monkeys running around here can pass it on to the proper people.

A volume license would be for people who all work for a single organization. It's not so some enterprising Craigslist scammer can buy, or get his/her hands on a copy, and then resell it to people. It might well have activated, and passed all the Windows "Genuine Advantage" (I still have yet to figure out how the word genuine fits into that name, or what the advantage is) checks, but it would have been an illegal copy none the less. And odds are, sooner or later someone (if not you) would turn the moron in after getting the volume key, and Microsoft would nuke it. Meaning they would add that license key to a blacklist, and then you would stop passing the WGA checks.

So, while I don't really consider civil "infractions" to be illegal per se, let's just say that you would be violating the terms of the license agreement and could potentially be sued by Microsoft for it. Odds are they wouldn't sue you, but they could.

Collapse -
Link
by beerman55448 / February 5, 2010 11:35 PM PST
In reply to: Almost certainly not
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/sys/1588408836.html

I have a volume license. The discs are not sealed, they are copy's of mine. Everything is legit though, activation is easy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To: sale-2ubmm-1585299596@craigslist.org
Subject: Windows 7 Ultimate 32 and 64 Bit, Upgrade or Full! - $40 (Ramsey)
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 08:46:56 -0600

Are these disks still sealed in their original cases?

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/sys/1585299596.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
this message was remailed to you via: sale-2ubmm-1585299596@craigslist.org
Collapse -
He may be confusing volume license with Family Pack
by Steven Haninger / February 6, 2010 12:17 AM PST
In reply to: Link
https://www.microsoft.com/uk/windows/offers/windows-7-family-pack.aspx

and unbundling it. Family packs are meant for single home sites and volume (or site) licenses are for a single buyer such as a business. Home editions, to my knowledge, have never been volume licensed and the Family Pack is new with Win7. MS also sells Office suites for multiple users in a single home environment but this doesn't mean you sell a copy to the neighbors. This guy is dishonest. What's to keep him from overselling his license and causing problems for folks such as yourself. Don't bite.
Collapse -
Thanks
by beerman55448 / February 6, 2010 12:21 AM PST

I never said I was going to buy from him. I only asked if this was legal to sell in this fashion.

Thanks for the answers.

Don

Collapse -
Not legal
by TaraS_WinTeam / February 6, 2010 5:24 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?