Thank you for being a valued part of the CNET community. As of December 1, 2020, the forums are in read-only format. In early 2021, CNET Forums will no longer be available. We are grateful for the participation and advice you have provided to one another over the years.

Thanks,

CNET Support

General discussion

Volume control completely gone

Nov 21, 2007 10:30PM PST

So I try to go to my Volume Control and get this message:

"There are no active mixer devices available. To install mixer devices, go to Control Panel, click Printers and Other Hardware, and then click Add Hardware. This program will now close."

When I go to my Sounds And Audio Devices Properties, the tabs labled Volume, Audio, and Voice will not even highlight. The buttons that is, nothing works, they're all disabled or something.

I guess I'm just having all kinds of problems with this new Windows installation, help please! Thank you.

Discussion is locked

- Collapse -
reply to: Volume control completely gone
Nov 21, 2007 11:06PM PST

Assuming you are using a Windows XP OS, try this.

Go to Start > Control Panel > Adminitrative tools > Services. Scroll down to and double click on "Windows Audio."
Make sure the Startup type is set to "Automatic" and click on "Started". Then click Apply > OK.

Hope this is helpful.

Charlie

- Collapse -
thanx
Nov 21, 2007 11:12PM PST

It was already like that. Still no luck. I'm gonna try installing a driver er something.."try" being the keyword, lol

Thanx for your reply.

- Collapse -
Do you show your sound card in device manager?
Nov 22, 2007 12:28AM PST

Perhaps it's gone missing. If it's and add in card, you can reseat it to see if that helps. If it's an on board device, you need to check the BIOS to make sure it's enabled.

- Collapse -
(NT) Yes, you need your sound driver
Nov 23, 2007 10:23PM PST
- Collapse -
volume control
May 25, 2012 11:26AM PDT

I did a system restore to three days earlier and my volume control is back.

- Collapse -
Do what Charlie told you, except
Nov 24, 2007 1:41AM PST

click on Windows Audio

then in the upper left corner click on restart the service

Rick