General discussion

Volume control completely gone

So I try to go to my Volume Control and get this message:

"There are no active mixer devices available. To install mixer devices, go to Control Panel, click Printers and Other Hardware, and then click Add Hardware. This program will now close."

When I go to my Sounds And Audio Devices Properties, the tabs labled Volume, Audio, and Voice will not even highlight. The buttons that is, nothing works, they're all disabled or something.

I guess I'm just having all kinds of problems with this new Windows installation, help please! Thank you.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Volume control completely gone
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Volume control completely gone
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
reply to: Volume control completely gone

Assuming you are using a Windows XP OS, try this.

Go to Start > Control Panel > Adminitrative tools > Services. Scroll down to and double click on "Windows Audio."
Make sure the Startup type is set to "Automatic" and click on "Started". Then click Apply > OK.

Hope this is helpful.

Charlie

- Collapse -
thanx

It was already like that. Still no luck. I'm gonna try installing a driver er something.."try" being the keyword, lol

Thanx for your reply.

- Collapse -
Do you show your sound card in device manager?

Perhaps it's gone missing. If it's and add in card, you can reseat it to see if that helps. If it's an on board device, you need to check the BIOS to make sure it's enabled.

- Collapse -
(NT) Yes, you need your sound driver
- Collapse -
volume control

I did a system restore to three days earlier and my volume control is back.

- Collapse -
Do what Charlie told you, except

click on Windows Audio

then in the upper left corner click on restart the service

Rick

CNET Forums

Forum Info