Question

Volume and Wifi notifications are not working?

When I first bought my computer (Dell Inspiron 1750 w/ Vista Home Premium), I could push the Volume controls, the wifi on-off button, or the screen brightness buttons, and I would see a little notification box pop up on my screen. It would stay on for a few seconds and then disappear again. None of these work now. It is sort of annoying not knowing whether my wifi is on, how bright my screen is, or how loud the volume is. Is there any way to turn these back on without reinstalling the OS?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Volume and Wifi notifications are not working?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Volume and Wifi notifications are not working?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
I'm going with maybe.

I've seen updates to the OS that seem to wipe this out. It's a nice thing to see but if the security tightening up has broke it then I would not second guess this.

You can try dell.com, put in your service tag and see if the drivers and apps for your machine have been updated.
Bob

- Collapse -
That did not seem to make a difference.

I tried that about a week ago. I updated some of the drivers, but most of them seemed to do with things that did not pertain to this (BIOS, Webcam, Dell Support Center, ect.) I thought of the same thing right off. Would re-installing a service pack help with this at all? If not, I might just bite the bullet and purchase Windows 7 for my computer. Thanks for your help!

- Collapse -
Be sure to temper your expectations.

That usually ends up with the same results. Why?

Because what caused it to break is usually done again. It could be a registry cleaner, your antivirus suite anti-phish feature or other. Today I find it best to ignore things like this because repair is costing more than folk expected.

Imagine if it's the usual protection software. Imagine the time to determine that and the fix.
Bob

CNET Forums