AMD Athlon XP 1800+
MSI KT3 Ultra2 (KT333) Motherboard
896(512+256+128) MB DDR RAM
40 GB Seagate HDD
Asus GeForce 4 Ti4200 128 MB RAM
Samsung 753S 17" monitor
Kobian KOB85 cabinet with extra fans in front and back

running Win XP Home SP2 with Norton SystemWorks 2003 and MSI PCAlert4

I have been having trouble a couple of times in the past week.
Since I have a recent broadband connection the PC is on for at least 15-18 hrs/day.
I noticed that whenever I try to play a video clip on MediaPlayer the whole thing used to slow down to a crawl. Otherwise the machine was ok for other tasks only slows while playing video.
Then when i started PCALert I noticed that the window for 3.3V was in the red and showed voltages ranging from 2.91 to 2.96 V and there was the alert sound. here is a screenshot- http://server2.uploadit.org/files/cbh5150-pcalert.jpg
It has happened only twice this last week.

What could be trouble? Is it big trouble needing immediate intervention?

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Voltage fluctuation
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Voltage fluctuation
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Where does this 3V come from?
by Coryphaeus / February 23, 2005 9:57 AM PST
In reply to: Voltage fluctuation

The power supply.

It may be dying. I'd replace it. Now. A glitch can cause corrupted and loss of data.

Collapse -
System resources
by Willy / February 23, 2005 12:49 PM PST

Change out the p/s unit, its time for a 2 1/2yr. unit. While your system isn't fully stuffed, the wear&tear on the unit can degrade it and now it starting to show it age. A 400W+ unit is a good start, unless you get a namebrand 350W, otherwise a cheapie should be as big as you afford, otherwise you will pay later. 3.3V has to be stable. The WMP is now using the audio segment of your system which is "real time" so anything running in the backgrd. will reflect on its operation as WMP is a real resource hog, so clean-up if possible. Even, the monitoring pgm. is a burden as it really doing "real time" action as well, plus any other s/w you load at startup.

enjoy -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
(NT) a long shot
by stevendaniels123 / April 27, 2005 9:50 AM PDT

This could be software problem in regurds to some thing you loaded recently, or you need to upgrade you cooling because fast computers like the one you have need the right fans to operate at the right tempurture.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.