Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

VoIP using internet network

by soundman87 / February 5, 2006 10:32 AM PST

Hi

Are there any devices to transfer a telephone line over an ethernet network using a point to point VoIP ? I want something that has the same connection method as power over ethernet.

Details:
What I am looking for is a kit that is very similar to PoE (power over ethernet). What I want to do is plug a standard land phone line into my existing ethernet network, have it go through a switch (possibly wireless as well), and then reconnected to a standard phone.

I am thinking of possibly building an office in my detached garage, but I really don't want to run a cable between the two (ether underground or in the air), so I was thinking of puting a wireless bridge to connect the office to my home network. The thing is that I also want my telephone in there. That is why I was thinking of trying to run the phone over ehternet.

Any Suggestions?

Jeff

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: VoIP using internet network
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: VoIP using internet network
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Use a Cordless phone (other than 2.4ghz), so
by Melati Hitam / February 5, 2006 3:29 PM PST

it won't interfere with your wireless network.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Or maybe a service like Skype will do ..
by Melati Hitam / February 5, 2006 7:24 PM PST
Collapse -
I think you just want plain VOIP
by drewu / February 8, 2006 3:56 AM PST

If VOIP works on a local lan, there's no reason it can't work on a local lan that includes wireless.

Collapse -
Wireless router Voip enabled.
by Modit / February 8, 2006 5:17 PM PST

The calls between two sites are, of course, free of charge because they are making use of your existing always-on ADSL connection, but cost isn't the only advantage; using VOIP means that you have additional call capacity in your home or office, without tying up your regular phone line.

http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor2900vg.html

Collapse -
Over engineering
by Ogre01 / February 8, 2006 5:18 PM PST

I think you may be over thinking this. Tell me if I'm wrong but you are thinking about putting in a phone to connect your garage office to the house line so you can get phone calls while in your garage without running an actual cable or any physical running back and forth. Then a cordless phone would be the way to go. Unless you are talking about getting phone service onto your broadband connection (VOIP) and getting rid of your wired phone service. Then the same thing applies, connect up your VOIP box and plug in a cordless phone.

KIS(drop the last S).

Collapse -
Another way
by bruce1 / February 8, 2006 8:55 PM PST

If you wanted to have connection in the garage you could buy a wireless jack. They are sold in many stores (Home Depot, Circuit City, Radio Shack). You plug the master unit in to an electric outlet and also a phone jack in the house. In the new garage you plug in the slave unit. This makes the assumption that you have electricity in the garage and that it is on the same service as the house. That said if you do bring electric into the garage from the main house, how difficult would it be to pull a telephone and ethernet cable too?

Collapse -
Getting close
by soundman87 / February 9, 2006 12:42 AM PST

The last couple of messages are more of what I am looking at. The garage is already wired for electricity and finished off inside.

What I was looking for was a way to get a phone in there using my current phone line with out having to run any more lines under ground. And in Wisconsin that is a little bit hard to do right now. That is why I was wanting to send it over the wireless network that I am going to set up to connect the office to my excisting network(internet).

I was looking for a device that will convert my phone line in the house into ethernet data and then back into a phone line in the office

I never thought about those wireless phone jacks. Otherwise it looks like I may have to get a quality cordless phone.

Jeff

Collapse -
Wireless VoIP Station Gateway
by MugglesBC / February 9, 2006 5:22 AM PST
In reply to: Getting close
Collapse -
Not Really
by soundman87 / February 9, 2006 11:37 AM PST

I want to take my existing analog phone service, transmit it through ethernet, and then convert it back to analog.

That D-link is almost half of the step.

Collapse -
question
by Ogre01 / February 9, 2006 12:16 PM PST
In reply to: Not Really

is there a specific reason for putting both comm. services on the same wireless? If there's no products currently available, I don't see anyone rushing to fill that void.

It seems what you are after is:
Broadcast end:
-your current POTS phone service is jacked into a device
-the device is capable of converting the analog signal into digital and knowledgeable of network protocol
-said device then is pluged into your wireless router/switch
-the signal is pumped out

Receiver end:
-a receiver is placed in your garage which pickes up the signal
-a phone of your choosing is plugged into the reveiver
-when appropriate the receiver rings your phone letting you know you have a call for either a conversation or fax.

For a conversation, most people would've resorted to the cordless phone. So inexpensive nowadays. Can't imagine this setup if existent being as cost effective.

As for a fax, if that's your primary reason for needing this service since there's no cordless fax machines at the receiver end perhaps an online fax service is all you need. Then everything can just tie into your computer. Get a scanner for your faxes to clients and go online to download your faxes from clients. www.efax.com

Can't think of any other reason you'd need this elaborate of a setup. Perhaps if you can provide more details as to why, there's a better solution to solving this problem.

Collapse -
Tricky request
by tigerbody / February 11, 2006 11:48 AM PST
In reply to: Not Really

What you are asking for is tricky and $$$.

A radio telephone system may do it for you.

some are POTS in and POTS out.

But most are just like them cordless phones, so it really
depends on the distance you need to go.

I use a cordless phone system that has multiple hand sets. So I can go anywhere around the house and find a phone plugged in and charged up. Then I can walk out the yard 150 feet or so...

But POTS into ethernet and out to POTS again, well
if someone came out with that they would sell a few,
but not that much.
How many lines on the Ethernet cable going to the
Garage? if you have some unused wires, you could
kludge some adaptors to make it work....

But just be simple and get a cordless phone.

/Paddy

Collapse -
VoIP
by jbmilne / February 9, 2006 12:20 PM PST

See if Viper Networks will help you.
www.vipernetwors.com

Collapse -
Nailed up POTS - VOIP - POTS bridge
by bryanros / February 13, 2006 3:53 AM PST

A Grandstream "Handytone 486" at the phone can hotline to a Grandstream "Handytone 488" at the phoneline and will connect the remote phone to the dialtone available at the 488. This is useful if you are using a POTS based business phone switch. This nailup will work from anywere in the world if you setup your Internet router correctly.

These are wired devices, so you will need to bridge the ethernet over 802.11(b or g). Any devices intended to make an ethernet game console wireless will work.

What makes this special:
Most VOIP consumer products I have seen are ment to emulate a wall jack (this called an FXS port) so you can plug in telephone and use it to place a call to a VOIP provider and they will handle puting the call back onto POTS. The 488 also includes a port that emulates a telephone (this called an FXO port) that will connect to a wall jack and put an incomming VOIP call onto POTS.

I am in the process of connecting a remote location with an extension on our phone system with this equipment.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.