General discussion

VOIP Basics?

I'd like to learn more about VOIP. Is there any articles to recommend for reading? And is application like Skype, PC Telephone also considered as VOIP?

And I came across an advertisement of D-Link DVG-G1402S wireless router with embedded VOIP functionality. Does this router provide the same functionality of a traditional router (that is to provide Internet connection to the PC) and at the same time, you can connect a analogue phone and fax machine to it if a VOIP service is engaged?

Thank you.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: VOIP Basics?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: VOIP Basics?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
VOIP

Your should checkout the Vonange web site they explain how it works and have some demos. To go from analog requires something like Cisco's ATA which converts the anlog signal to digital for use over IP. I have been running Vonage for three or four years now without any trouble and it's cheap 24.95 a month unlimited calls. Anyway they have FAQ section that may help you a bit. VOIP still has a ways to go but day by day it's becoming beter. Most the time my vonage or VOIP phone works beter than ma bells.

Mark

- Collapse -
PC-Telephone

I recently purchased PC-Telephone registration including 5000 units and an additional 10000 units. After 1 brief international call, the credit shown in PC-Telephone menu went down to about 13,000 units but would not allow me to dial. It is now showing 1 unit credit and will not dial anymore. I sent detailed emails to PC-Telephone support with no response and now their email system is rejecting my emails. What about the money I paid? I am really frustrated. There is no phone number that I could call. What kind of company is this? Are they fly by night or something?

CNET Forums

Forum Info