Phones forum

General discussion

VoIP

I can't find a place to post this question. But since this is about phones maybe here. Do any of you use VoIP and if so what do you think of it. Verizon now offers it in my area. But before I would change I would like to hear from those that use it.
So if this is the place to post this let me hear from you. If it isn't point me in the right direction.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: VoIP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: VoIP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: VoIP

In reply to: VoIP

ur internet goes down, houston we have a problem.

Collapse -
Re: VoIP

I use VOIP (from www.lingo.com) - one thing to remember is that as long as you have a high speed internet connection (cable or DSL) then you can get VOIP from any provider. Lingo is $20/month for unlimited calls to US, Mexico, Canada and Western Europe. Other international call are also dirt cheap and the quality has been good... shop around before you shell out $40 or $50/month to your "telephone company" - they are not a monopoly anymore

Collapse -
lingo

In reply to: Re: VoIP

i tried lingo but the voice kept cutting all the time. plus its only to use at home. suggestion???

Collapse -
Broadband-VoIP

In reply to: lingo

I LEFT VERIZON TELEPHONE SERVICE AND SWITCHED TO ?VONAGE?. BROADBAND. AFTER A FEW TWEAKS, THIS SYSTEM WORKS VERY GOOD.
THE BEST THING IS THE COST OF ONLY $24.95 MONTHLY, PLUS 2.50 TAX.
CALL QUALITY IS NEAR PERFECT MOST OF THE TIME( NO MATTER WHO YOU CHOOSE, CALL QUALITY VARIES AS A FUNCTION OF TRAFFIC ON THE INTERNET). THE BEST THING IS THE VERY LOW COST FOR INTERNATIONAL CALLS. IF YOU HAVE A FAST CABLE CONNECTION OF AT LEAT 5MB/SEC DOWNLOAD & 384KB/SEC UPLOAD MIN, THEN BROADBAND/VOIP WILL BE A GOOD CHOICE, OTHERWISE STAY WITH YOUR LOCAL PHONE COMPANY.

Collapse -
Packet 8 VOIP

In reply to: lingo

I had Packet 8 VOIP for a few months, and regardless of all the fixes I applied with the help of their tech support it was UNUSABLE. AND, they charged me $60 to terminate the service, as well as a full month's use 4 days after my payment.
The feedback I got from people I tried to call was that I sounded like I was under water and there was a bad hum and an echo.
I can't recommend Packet 8 at all.
Jeannette Poniatowski

Collapse -
voip

In reply to: Packet 8 VOIP

I had problems with sbc and now earthlink is troublesome. have you found a better server for voip thanks phyllis

Collapse -
VoIP user

hi. i use some VoIP services to call internationally. what are you looking for excatly, because i tried many thing. so post what ur looking for and i will help:).

ccall

Collapse -
Broadband- VoIP

In reply to: VoIP user

I LEFT VERIZON TELEPHONE SERVICE AND SWITCHED TO ?VONAGE?. BROADBAND. AFTER A FEW TWEAKS, THIS SYSTEM WORKS VERY GOOD.
CALL QUALITY IS NEAR PERFECT MOST OF THE TIME( NO MATTER WHO YOU CHOOSE, CALL QUALITY VARIES AS A FUNCTION OF TRAFFIC ON THE INTERNET). THE BEST THING IS THE VERY LOW COST FOR INTERNATIONAL CALLS. IF YOU HAVE A FAST CABLE CONNECTION OF AT LEAT 5MB/SEC DOWNLOAD & 384KB/SEC UPLOAD MIN, THEN BROADBAND/VOIP WILL BE A GOOD CHOICE, OTHERWISE STAY WITH YOUR LOCAL PHONE COMPANY.

Collapse -
I Switched About Three Months Ago....

...I'm in NYC and we have Time Warner VOIP. Call quality is never as good as a landline phone. Occasssionally you hear pops and pings. Once in a while the line is very staticy and you have to hang up and place the call again. Then everything is fine. Overall I'd say the call quality is about a "C."

What's nice is that it's one price per month ($39.95) and you can call anytime, anywhere for as long as you want for that price. It's nice to just forget about how many calls you're making.

Also, remember that if the electricity goes out, so does your phone.

Collapse -
broadband- VOIP

In reply to: I Switched About Three Months Ago....

Collapse -
Vonage "tweaks"

In reply to: broadband- VOIP

emargolis, I started using Vonage almost 2 months ago, and except for 1 outage that lasted for about half a day, it has been great.
What tweaks you are refering to in your post? Thanks!

Collapse -
voip

In reply to: I Switched About Three Months Ago....

I have earthlink, cable, voip and after AT&T that I had for a year it is better. It takes much tweaking with woice quality (my end is fine) it is pretty good. Difficulty retriving messages from my home phone can be not recog. my security code. It is 24.95 a month and most of the time worth it.

Collapse -
No complaints about TW digital phone

I have Time Warner digital phone and I love it. The call quality is actually much better than a landline, unless I get too close to my pc, which happened with my landline as well. The newer digital phone modems come with a 10 hour batter backup, so make sure you get one. I have friends all over the country and even some in Canada, so I love this service. Not to mention I live in Charlotte, NC, near the border of SC, so it is nice not having to pay to call 5 miles away from house. It took about 30 minutes for them to install and activate it.

Collapse -
using voip.

I ran accross your question . I use only voip in my home and my office now. I have my own telecom business I run from home and we market voip . I however have the voip video phones and they are great. I recommend using the technology..My phone comes with me when I travel so my kids can see me when I am away AND all for only 20+tax per month with free unlimited long distance to anywhere in US and Canada. I would love to share more with you if you are interested. Bettyboop111970.

Collapse -
voice quality with voip

In reply to: using voip.

what woip service do you use? Do you have cable? I have earthlink and it has been a 3 month process to sort out the kinks. Voice quality and message recall.

Collapse -
Vonage

Hi!

We've had Vonage for about 2 years, and I thought we switched to VOIP quite late! Overall, it is very good. Our phone bills were about $140/month. With no phone calls at all, it was $40. With Vonage, it is only $25/mo.

The 911 issues are getting fixed.

Good luck!

Collapse -
VOIP

I don't know about Verizon however I have had AT&T and now have Earthlink. Earthlink is a little less expensive (taxes) I think. HOwever, it is a problem trying to get it running smoothly. Sound, and retriving messages have been the big snags. You will have inconviences and frustrations and if you don't have time to spend trying to get service stay away for now.

Collapse -
VoIP and wifi?

In reply to: VOIP

I've been curious for a while now what might happen when WiFi (or, more probably, WiMax) networks cover more and more ground, and how that will relate to VoIP. Some cell phones are already starting to come equipped with WiFi connectivity, and it seems to me that the VoIP providers could steal quite a bit of business from traditional carriers.

Collapse -
verizon voip

are you using verizon and how do you like it. thanks phyllis pskall13@yahoo.com

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.