Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

Voiceover newbie help

by eyeworks / May 12, 2009 7:11 AM PDT

I am not real knowledgeable about this, so please bear with me. I have Sony SoundForge that I use in Windows XP. When I e-mail a test mp3 file to myself, it wants to open in Musicmatch Jukebox. I know that's obsolete, but what should I update to? Also, what is the commonly accepted format to use for saving audio files for voiceover - is there a preference for mp3? wav?
Thank you!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Voiceover newbie help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Voiceover newbie help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Play in windows media player by default; file type depends
by cr4zyfortech / May 12, 2009 6:34 PM PDT
In reply to: Voiceover newbie help

Did you mean that you don't want your mp3s to open up in Jukebox everytime you click? In that case, you should just make them open in Windows Media Player (right click an mp3 file, click properties, and where it says "opens with", click Change and select Windows Media player. Then click "apply" so that mp3s always open with windows media player). That way, quickly listening to an mp3 isn't a hassle (because jukebox takes some time to load up, if I recall correctly).

What audio file you use for your voiceover really depends on what your application is. WAV files take up much more hard drive space, but they are uncompressed and would retain the highest quality. However, for a lot of purposes, you can just use the mp3, as you won't notice the difference in audio quality (like really, you'd probably hear NO difference in audio quality).

It would really be easier to suggest something if I knew what you're using it for. If you're uploading to YouTube or are making a video that's not going to be shown on TV, I would recommend you settle with exporting to 128kbps stereo or 192 kbps stereo MP3 format.

I think an mp3, whether you're sending it to someone else to hear, or are embedding it into a video you are making, is fine. If you're putting your video up on the internet, a WAV would be unnecessary (it's too large. Or, if you're uploading to Youtube for example, Youtube wil automatically convert the audio into a lower quality format).

Collapse -
Reply: Play in windows media player by default; file type
by eyeworks / May 13, 2009 12:18 PM PDT

Thank you very much for your reply, it was most helpful!

Collapse -
you're welcome!
by cr4zyfortech / May 13, 2009 10:03 PM PDT
Grin
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.