Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

voice resignation program

by onecup / July 6, 2005 7:13 AM PDT

I am visually impaired, and would like to know if any of the readers know of a voice program that can read information written on the computer screen. I have tried one but I could not understand the words very good. hopefully there is a clearer voice program, free or low cost would be the icing on the cake. appreciate any help someone can offer.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: voice resignation program
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: voice resignation program
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Built into XP,,,,
by Michael Geist / July 6, 2005 11:42 AM PDT

is Microsoft Sam the Narrator. Look in Accessories for the Accessibility folder, the Narrator should be there. Takes a little getting used to, but the price is right.

Collapse -
voice
by onecup / July 6, 2005 10:35 PM PDT
In reply to: Built into XP,,,,

Thanks Michael, I learn something everyday, I had no idea that was in there.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Neither did I... Thanks
by jackintucson / July 7, 2005 3:58 AM PDT
In reply to: voice
Collapse -
Narrator is persistent
by sea.bass / May 22, 2007 8:21 PM PDT
In reply to: Built into XP,,,,

Hi Michael

I have just got a Vista machine. I tried out Narrator to see what it was about, but didn't find it useful. But now it comes up every time I boot up.

I have removed it from Startup and I have unchecked all the boxes, but still it comes back. Any ideas?

CB

Collapse -
disabling narrator
by sea.bass / May 23, 2007 3:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Narrator is persistent

I kept googling this problem and found I was not alone, it was a problem under XP as well, driving others mad. I persevered and found in annoyance.org that the solution was to go to "make the computer easier to see" (of course!) where there is a checkbox to turn narrator on - or in my case OFF.

It's a bit like pressing Start when you want to stop. Still, I suppose that it is good training for one's intuition/association making.

CB

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?