Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Voice recording for Dummies

by MissWeava / February 15, 2007 2:24 AM PST

Hi there,

I'm sure this has been covered a number of times, so apologies, but I'd really appreciate input on the following:

My mother, who is not very tech savvy or concerned with the latest gadgetry , iTunes etc. would like a simple, small device that she can use to record classes that she gives at decent enough quality to be able to make an Audio CD, as well as stream on the net.

The device would need to be small, simple to use, easy to interface with her PC or my Dad's Mac (in case she wants to do basic editing), and able to record/store about 15 hours of audio between downloads.

The classes she would be recording are herself, talking, and about 20-40 students in a medium/large sized room, but not a cavernous lecture hall.

She would like it to be an MP3 player as opposed to a dedicated voice recorder, but again, she isn't concerned with all the latest bells and whistles that would appeal to a younger user.

Recommendations?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Voice recording for Dummies
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Voice recording for Dummies
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The number one area is that microphone quality.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 15, 2007 2:42 AM PST
Collapse -
Voice recording cont'd...
by MissWeava / February 15, 2007 3:22 AM PST

Thanks Bob. I'm a Mac person myself, so predisposed to liking iPods. But my mother works on a PC, and she doesn't own any MP3 players currently, so the question is should she go for an iPod with attachement, an iRiver, a Creative Zen or a dedicated Olympus-style voice recorder. I'm thinking the dedicated voice recorders result in lower quality recordings, so I"m trying to steer her to one of the other options, but I have no experience recording voice on any of these devices, so it's hard to compare.

The other issue is how easily the device wll interface with her computer, and a Mac. I know iPods work smoothly, but have no experience with the others.

Anyone out there with this kind of comparative experience?

Collapse -
iPods work fine with PCs.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 15, 2007 3:34 AM PST

That's fairly well known but if you need to see me write so then there it is.

As to the others, all have that issue of mic and mic placement. No one wins on that. Voice recorders are viable but the saving grace can be the cost. Remember that a "voice recorder" is likely to exhibit that fine issue of microphone placement issues. For great recordings you need the mic in the right place.

Bob

Collapse -
Use an external mic
by kishoor / February 16, 2007 8:07 PM PST

An external microphone will make the whole setup more bulky but'll solve any microphone placement issues and will most likely improve sound quality. You can use a microphone with any device that supports line-in recording (which includes the newer iPod add-ons), only make sure the microphone doesn't need a phantom power source (which unfortunately rules out most cheap ones). The problem with recording lectures, however, will be recording the students. If she needs that, it might be more problematic, since that means the micrphone (whether internal or external) will have to catch a large area.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?