HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

VMware Player question

by samusgravity / October 17, 2007 4:32 AM PDT

I couldn't find a forum area for this one, so I thought here was the best spot! I just downloaded the VMware Player program because of my interest in running a virtual Ubuntu Linux. When I go onto VMware's marketplace tons of Ubuntu Linux downloads pull up (some with the same name)! How can you tell which one is the best and most reliable to download. Also, when you exit the Virtual Machine, do you have to turn the guest operating system off, or will VMware Player do it for you? Please help!!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: VMware Player question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: VMware Player question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon)..
by John.Wilkinson / October 17, 2007 7:44 AM PDT
In reply to: VMware Player question

It's the most recent release and can be downloaded by clicking here. It's still a release candidate (in its final testing stage), but it's stable. Also, as to shutting the guest OS down, exiting the virtual machine is usually sufficient as the virtual machine automatically saves the current state. It never hurts to 'shut down' the guest OS normally, though, to avoid potential errors, such as a file from the guest OS not being written to the final destination properly.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
What About...
by samusgravity / October 17, 2007 9:03 AM PDT

If you shut down your host computer, will the current state of the guest OS stay the same if you exit out of the VMware player? Just a question...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.