Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

VMM32.vxd corrupted. Remedy will not take-Help!

I am trying to help a friend out. He went to bootup this a.m. and got an error message saying his vmm32.vxd file is missing or corrupt. I found what appears to be the remedy, and I included it at the bottom of this post. However, we got to step 6 and then could go no further. We had the Win98 disc in, booted up with floppy and we changed the prompt to E (which is the CD drive) and typed in DIR. It shows the various files on the disk, but when we try and access them (step 7 and beyond), we keep getting error messages that says bad command or file name. Any suggestions on what we can do please?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Ferrante
RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, extract a new copy of Dibeng.dll from your original Windows compact disc (CD) to the Windows\System folder. To do this, follow these steps: 1. Insert a Windows 98 Startup disk, and then restart your computer to a command prompt. Select Start computer with CD-ROM support.
2. Note the drive letter assigned to your computer's CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive.
3. Insert the Windows 98 CD-ROM into the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive.
4. At the command prompt, type C:, and then press ENTER.
5. Type CD\Windows\System, and then press ENTER.
6. Type rename dibeng.dll dibeng.old, and then press ENTER.
7. Type Ext, and then press ENTER.
8. At the Please enter the path to the Windows CAB files (a:) message, type drive:\win98 (where drive is the drive letter that you noted in step 2), and then press ENTER. For example, type
E:\win98
and then press ENTER.

NOTE: If you have an original equipment manufacturer (OEM) installation of Windows, the cabinet (CAB) files may be located in the following folder:
C:\WINDOWS\Options\Cabs
9. At the Please enter the name(s) of the files(s) you want to extract message, type dibeng.dll, and then press ENTER.
10. At the Please enter the path to extract to ("Enter" for current directory) message, type C:\Windows\System, and then press ENTER.
11. At the Is this okay? (y/n) message, type y, and then press ENTER.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: VMM32.vxd corrupted. Remedy will not take-Help!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: VMM32.vxd corrupted. Remedy will not take-Help!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: VMM32.vxd corrupted. Remedy will not take-Help!

In reply to: VMM32.vxd corrupted. Remedy will not take-Help!

Ferrante,

Read carefully! There's no such step as typing in e: between step 6 and step 7. Why do it then?
During step 7 you are supposed to be in c:\windows\system still, and there should be a ext.exe file there or in any folder in the defined bath. With me (windows 95), however, there isn't.

What you want to do is extract the file dibeng.dll from your windows 98 cd to c:\windows\system. Maybe this link will help:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/129605/EN-US/
Read the Windows 98 part.

I once had a vmm32.dll problem myself. I didn't have the resources available then that you have now (a second computer, Internet, this forum), and I ended up with backing up my data to 50 diskettes and running the Compaq Restore CD. Hope you fare better.

Kees

Collapse -
Remedy will not take-Help!

In reply to: VMM32.vxd corrupted. Remedy will not take-Help!

start>run>sfc This is system file checker. Look at "settings" tab. You can add "changed files", "deleted files". Perhaps you can boot into safe mode for this? This sfc will find corrupted files of the Win98 install and any others from programs you later load and run sfc to get them listed.
On the main page, you can "extract one file from installation disk". Being a regular w98 file, it will find the cab file to extract from and "restore to" will automatically list C:/windows/system.
my vmm32.vxd is 919kb.
I've run into this before and it actually referred to the folder vmm32 which contains 2 to 4 other vxds and my folder was missing.
Report back for more info.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.