Question

VLC Won't Play M2TS Videos

I have an older computer running Windows XP. D845 motherboard with a 2.8GHz Pentium 4 processor, 2GB ram, and an ATI radeon 4350 video card @ 600 MHz and 512 MB ram. This computer will not play M2TS videos with any version of the VLC player. However, a player called Media Player Lite will play the M2TS videos. I love VLC and hate Media Player Lite. Any suggestion on how to get VLC to play my M2TS videos? Thanks!

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: VLC Won't Play M2TS Videos
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: VLC Won't Play M2TS Videos
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Players

If VLC won't play it with the latest version, then consider that format unique or difficult. That maybe the purpose of such a format, but generally speaking VLC covers far too many formats and for this to not run suggests it will be difficult. If VLC provides a codec pack to help resolve this, then query in that area, otherwise VLC won't support it.

Another video player that may help, CCCP, yeah CCCP. It does the same as VLC play many various formats and it too has codecs that help enhance it. google for it and get from trusted source. Hope this all helps.

tada ------Willy Happy

- Collapse -
Addenum

It appears this is BD type format plus Sony h/w based. So, being Sony, they're difficult to work with looking at past history.

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/how_to_play_m2ts_files.cfm

Notice, it mentions VLC can play some M2TS files, but not all. I suppose if you had Sony h/w it may make this easier to deal with. I exclude any extra steps like s/w conversion. But, as to your original post, VLC itself can't be enhanced as is, unless some codec pack is found, so far, no luck.

tada ------Willy Happy

- Collapse -
Answer
In this case we have to transcode the video.

In short google HANDBRAKE and see if it can convert it.
Bob

CNET Forums