Networking & Wireless forum

Question

VLAN Question...

I want to premise this by saying that I am a technology coordinator for a school district with a background in education.

I have technicians that work for me that handle my servers and keep up on maintenance. I decide what we are going to buy and why.

I had a company come in to put in a wireless system...no names included...That could not complete the task because my VLANs were not setup correctly.

When I set up a VLAN, when you set the IP configuration for the VLAN, you use the IP address for the device, switch or router that you are trying to connect the VLAN to correct?

That is what I was trying to configure and they were telling me my network was not setup correctly and that I should pay them extra to get it done right.

Thanks for any and all help,

Grub

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: VLAN Question...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: VLAN Question...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
vlans

In reply to: VLAN Question...

A vlan is nothing more than a virtual switch so you must do everything would do with a real switch. Technically a switch needs no IP itself, look at all the unmanageable switches you can buy that you just plug cables into. So in a switch all you really do is define ports to separate traffic.

The messy part is if a switch is layer 3 which means it also contains a router. Be careful yours may not it tends to increase the price of the units. What happens in a layer 3 switch is you now create a virtual interface. Although it is virtual it works the same as if you had a router with multiple physical interfaces plugged to multiple switches. You must do all the work you would do for each. Default gateways,DHCP scopes, etc.
You must also configure the routing so that traffic will flow between the virtual interfaces. This part normally works by default but you now have 2 complete networks on this device which I would assume is connected to another router somehow. That router needs to have routing in it to know to send the 2 networks to your device.

Note if your switch is only layer 2 you now have the issue of how do I extend these vlans over a single cable to the device that can do routing. This is called 802.1q which if you need configured I would just pay someone or you can google and study it.

Collapse -
VLAN Question...

In reply to: vlans

Thanks for the info...On our switches already, we have 2 vlans to connect them to our core switch and to the fiber appliance that brings the connection into the school.

I understand how to route the ports with tagging and trunking. I just want to make sure that when I set up the new VLANs on all the other switches that I tell the tagging to go to the controller by IP address. Is that the way I should be doing it?

Thanks,

Grub

Collapse -
tag/ip

In reply to: VLAN Question...

Sound like you route in the core so your switches use the tagging to get there. All you really have to do is ensure you have the new vlans tagged on your trunk ports. This should allow all devices in that subnet to reach the gateway. Remember vlans operate on the mac address not the IP. Devices will determine their path to other devices via broadcasts and ARP requests. You really have to do nothing other than create the path.

Note if you are using cisco switches they use a special protocol call VTP to propagate vlans definitions to all switches and by default allow all vlans on all trunk ports. Pretty much you define a vlan on a single switch and all switch in the network will be able to use it without any special configuration.

Other vendors you will have to configure each switch and each trunk

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!