Question

Vizio Smart TV - Internet Apps keep disconnecting - HELP?

I have a VIZIO smart TV and even when the settings show I am connected via Wifi, my internet apps stop working adn show disconnected. The ONLY thing that is successful is doing a reset to factory defaults, I have to then set up again, enter my password three times (it rejects it the first two times and won't connect) and voila, I can get Netflix, but only for THAT viewing session - next time, it's back to square one. Should I return the TV?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Vizio Smart TV - Internet Apps keep disconnecting - HELP?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Vizio Smart TV - Internet Apps keep disconnecting - HELP?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
When you use WiFi on these.

The distant to the router must be about 20 feet to start with. There are also issues with some routers. Given only the details so far, I wonder if this is wireless and over 20 feet to the router.
Bob

- Collapse -
that sounds reasonable but...

due to the layout of my house I can't do that. Also, it does not make sense that the wifi signal is strong enough to show as connected on the TV, and to sometimes make the apps work if i go through enough contortions. My laptop is about 10 feet from the TV and has no problem so I still think it must be something with the TV itself. (( do appreciate your thinking about my issue though and offering some advice, don't get me wrong!)

- Collapse -
Then it's not going to work out for your setup.

The issue is well discussed and some get upset about how these devices don't have the range of a common laptop.

It is something with the TV. It's a shame your support didn't tell you all this.

Remember it might be something else but the details are too slim here. Distance, make, model, router settings are all not here.

Some folk take the sets back.
Bob

- Collapse -
VIZIO smart TV wifi issues

In my opinion, this is not a range issue. Our Vizio worked fine for about two months, accessing YouTube, Amazon Prime, etc., then this week started doing exactly what is described above in the original thread. Nothing changed with the router, internet service, etc. Incredibly frustrating, and not found any real answers.

- Collapse -
The only real answer is

To have a tech or network master visit. You dismissed it as range but didn't reveal much new. I don't mind working with folk and have collected a long list of items to check but how to begin without the details?

Also, let's quiz you a little. Is there any difference in range if you set the router on channel 3 or 11?

Let me be clear here that in the USA there is a range drop on one of those channels. Should we expect folk to know this?
Bob

- Collapse -
VIZIO wifi issue

Sorry, I'm saying I don't think it's a range issue-I thought that's what you were suggesting. I have a NetGear router (WNDR3400v3) on a cable modem, with the TV about 15-20 feet from the router. TV is model number E42Oi-AO. Nothing has changed from the time it has worked (the last 2 months) to the last few days when the TV says it is connected (with five green bars), but when an internet app is accessed, it says the TV is not connected.

- Collapse -
Thanks.

Since many of these do that when a maker moves the web site and the DNS lags behind, try the next trick.

Use the GOOGLE DNS of 8.8.8.8 and the second DNS (if this supports that) of 8.8.4.4

Thanks for the note about it worked before but keep in mind there are things that change all the time and all it would take is a neighbor's router to be turned on and make a mess. I can't guess if you remember the old Vista beam of death issue but I do.
Bob

- Collapse -
wifi

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

- Collapse -
Thanks so much!

After hassling with the same issue and calling tech support twice and getting the runaround about how my internet speed is too slow this worked. Jumped my test speed from about 750kbs to 5.5k ha. And those ******** were trying to tell me to call my internet provider and pay to get a higher connection speed just to run apps that work on all my other devices just fine.

- Collapse -
Wifi Issues

I suddenly am having the same problem exactly, I have two vizio smart tvs the one that is about 30 feet from the wifi router is having the issue, the one in my bedroom about 75 feet from the same router is working fine. I have tried everything I could think of, but I agree it is not a router issue. My Living room TV has been in the same spot and distance from the router for over 1 year and never had this issue.

- Collapse -
Tell me more.

If a client tells me it worked before and is not open to changes to DNS, router settings and ideas we've used then it's not much I can offer except to keep calling the maker of the set.
Bob

- Collapse -
Wifi Issues

How do I change the DNS, router settings?

- Collapse -
In this story I can't tell.

Please start a new post but I can't comment or share what page to check of the router's manual.

This is Monysmom's post and is now old and long. It's too much work to continue in this discussion so start your own with the full details to avoid a lot of questions about make and model numbers of what we are working on.

Also, STAY INSIDE your comfort zone. If you don't want to change settings then ask those that do this for you to try it.
Bob

- Collapse -
Answer
vizio internet

I am having the same issue. Mine has worked for 9 months. Why stop working now? so frustrating!

- Collapse -
(NT) If the above doesn't help, time for a new post please.

CNET Forums

Forum Info