Tip

Vizio P55ui-B2 and P65ui-B2 picture settings

IMPORTANT NOTE: I did not recalibrate either of my P series review samples as a result of the firmware update to version 1.1.14 (see review for details). For that reason, the calibrations below might not be completely accurate for users of the latest firmware. I didn't observe any major difference in testing, however, so they should at least get users in the ballpark.

FIRMWARE UPDATE PROCEDURE: If your Vizio P series doesn't have the latest firmware, you can attempt to force it to perform an update. Here's how:

1. Ensure you have a solid Internet connection
2. Hit "Menu" on the TV remote
2. Select "System" then "System Information"
4. Scroll all the way down to select "Service Check"
5. Hit OK on the remote
6. Confirm you want to perform a service check by selecting "Yes."
7. Turn off the TV. According to Vizio you should wait at least 20 minutes before checking the version again to see f it updated, although at times it has taken longer than that.

Review:
http://www.cnet.com/products/vizio-p552ui-b2/
http://www.cnet.com/products/vizio-p652ui-b2/

Related products:
Vizio P502-uiB1
Vizio P602-uiB3
Vizio P702-uiB3

Calibration reports using these settings:
[see below]

TV software/firmware version tested: 1.0.4.1 (both sizes)

Below you'll find the settings I found best for viewing the 55-inch Vizio P55ui-B2 and the 65-inch P65ui-B2 in a dim room via the HDMI input. Separate calibrations were performed for each TV. If you own another size in the P series and want to try these calibrations, I'd suggest using the settings for the 65-inch set.

Your settings may vary depending on source, room conditions, and personal preference. Check out the Picture settings and calibration FAQ for more information.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-9996461-1.html

Calibration notes (P55ui-B2): As with the M- and E- series, the 55-inch P's Calibrated Dark mode was best, but as with those sets it wasn't very good before calibration. It exhibited a plus-blue grayscale and exceedingly light gamma, among the worst I've seen on any TV, which washed out black- and near-black areas and crushed whites. Mid-bright areas and highlights were also much brighter than they should be. As a result the image looked relatively unnatural compared to the displays with proper gamma.

Via calibration using the 2- and 11-point grayscale systems I was able to fix most of those issues. I ran out of adjustment room, particularly in the problematic middle scale (50-70 IRE) where gamma was the worst, but overall it was a massive improvement and all of the scale aside from 70 fell below the nominal delta error of 3. Unfortunately no adjustment I made improved the slightly crushed whites.

Color was much more accurate according to the charts, with only green and cyan showing significant errors. I was able to tame cyan using the CMS but the controls for green were ineffective. Unfortunately, when I looked at program material it was obvious the TV suffered from red push, an issue I confirmed via measuring saturation at various light levels (saturation sweeps in CalMan). Red was oversaturated in the mid-tone areas. I ended up tweaking the CMS by eye using skin tones, not an ideal scenario but it delivered decent results.

---Picture settings menu---
Picture Mode: Calibrated Dark*
Auto Brightness Control: Off
Backlight: 65
Brightness: 51
Contrast: 45
Color: 50
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 0

--Advanced Picture submenu---
Color temperature: Normal
Black Detail: Off
Active LED Zones: On
Smooth Motion Effect: Off
Clear Motion: Off
Reduce Signal Noise: Off
Reduce Block Noise: Off
Game Low Latency: Off
Picture Size & Position: [no change]
Film Mode: Auto
Gamma: 2.4

---Picture Mode Management submenu---
Color Tuner:
Red [Hue, Saturation, Brightness]: 0, -19, 8
Green: 0, 0, 0
Blue: -8, 0, -13
Cyan: -1, 0, -10
Magenta: 0, 0, 0
Yellow: 3, -13, -2

Red off
set: 0
Red gain: -1
Green offset: -2
Green Gain: -8
Blue offset: 2
Blue gain: -27

11-point white balance:
[Gain amounts for red, green and blue]
5%: -2, -2, -4
10%: -9, -10, -9
20%: -12, -13, -14
30%: -42, -34, -26
40%: -50, -46, -36
50%: -50, -50, -29
60%: -50, -50, -47
70%: -50, -50, -41
80%: -50, -50, -40
90%: -27, -23, -19
100%: 10, 0, -35

Calibration notes (P65ui-B2): As with the 55-incher, Calibrated Dark delivered the most accurate picture mode, but it wasn't very accurate. Its gamma was exceedingly bright, and the grayscale was off and whites were also somewhat crushed.

I used the multipoint grayscale controls to try taming the worst issue, the gamma, but again I ran out of adjustment room, particularly in the middle of the scale. The 65-inch set also suffered from a defect in the controls: the settings were mislabeled, such that the 90 IRE setting actually adjusted 100 percent, the 80 IRE setting 90 percent, and so on, until 30 IRE, which correctly adjusted 30 percent, as did 20 IRE and 20 percent, etc. As a result there was no control that affected the 40 percent level, which is why its grayscale and gamma are significantly worse than the others on the final calibration chart.

The end result for a grayscale and gamma wasn't as accurate as I achieved from the 55-inch set, but it was still a big improvement over the default picture.

Color suffered the same issues I saw on the 55-inch set, so I began with those values and adjusted red by eye. Again the result wasn't perfect, but it was a significant improvement visually upon the default settings.

---Picture settings menu---
Picture Mode: Calibrated Dark*
Auto Brightness Control: Off
Backlight: 29
Brightness: 50
Contrast: 45
Color: 50
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 0

--Advanced Picture submenu---
Color temperature: Normal
Black Detail: Off
Active LED Zones: On
Smooth Motion Effect: Off
Clear Motion: Off
Reduce Signal Noise: Off
Reduce Block Noise: Off
Game Low Latency: Off
Picture Size & Position: [no change]
Film Mode: Auto
Gamma: 2.2

---Picture Mode Management submenu---
Color Tuner:
Red [Hue, Saturation, Brightness]: 0, -23, 11
Green: 0, 0, 0
Blue: -8, 0, -13
Cyan: -1, 0, -10
Magenta: 0, 0, 0
Yellow: 3, -13, -2

Red offset: 0
Red gain: -14
Green offset: 0
Green Gain: 0
Blue offset: 0
Blue gain: 7

11-point white balance:
[Gain amounts for red, green and blue]
5%: -8, -8, -9
10%: -27, -25, -19
20%: -50, -49, -25
30%: -49, -50, -33
40%: -42, -45, -50
50%: -50, -50, -31
60%: -48, -50, -46
70%: -50, -50, -36
80%: -23, -39, -31
90%: 14, 0, 10
100%: 0, 0, 0

Note: This post was edited by its original author Updated in accordance with new software. on 01/16/2015 at 10:36 AM PT

Note: This post was edited by its original author Corrected new firmware version from 1.1.16 to 1.1.14. on 01/20/2015 at 10:55 AM PT

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Vizio P55ui-B2 and P65ui-B2 picture settings
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Vizio P55ui-B2 and P65ui-B2 picture settings
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Calibrated w/ local dimming enabled?

Did you calibrate with Active LED Zones (aka local dimming) enabled? I quickly found that to be a no-no on my P70 with a whacked-out gamma response similar to what your reports show. Better to calibrate with it off, then re-enable once done (grayscale doesn't appreciably change doing so, gamma measures right with it off, and at the same time, gamma response is clearly not messed up with it on as the measurement patterns would imply Wink)...

- Collapse -
firmware update

I updated my firmware to 1.1.14 on my new vizio P55.
I am looking for calibration on my tv with the update in stalled.
Thank You
Todd Ponto

CNET Forums

Forum Info