http://www.cnet.com/products/vizio-p-series-2016/

Related products:
Vizio P50-C1
Vizio P55-C1
Vizio P75-C1

Calibration report using these settings:
[see below]

TV software/firmware version tested: 1.1.6.12

Below you'll find the settings I found best for viewing the Vizio P65-C1 in a dim room via the HDMI input. Your settings may vary depending on source, room conditions, and personal preference. Check out the Picture settings and calibration FAQ for more information.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-9996461-1.html

Calibration notes: The default Calibrated Dark picture setting for was very good, if a bit plus-blue in its color temperature. After a adjusting the gamma to the 2.4 preset and tweaking the two-point color temperature control it was close enough that I skipped the 11-point setup entirely. I might have given it a shot anyway, but adjusting the little sliders on Vizio's app was such a pain that it wasn't worth it. Hopefully they update the app soon to make it easier.

The CMS was decent but not great; controls for blue and magenta were ineffective in correcting those colors' saturation errors, but on the flipside the errors in cyan cleaned up nicely. My tweaks to red in the CMS actually worsened the color checker results, so I ended up backing off that as well. The end result was that my CMS adjustments were minimal.

Note that I did not calibrate for HDR, so the settings below should be used only for SDR (standard dynamic range) sources. See below for notes on Dolby Vision HDR.

Display Settings, Picture menu:

Picture Mode: Calibrated Dark*
Backlight: 20
Brightness: 50
Contrast: 50
Color: 50
Sharpness: 0
Tint: 0

Color Temperature: Normal*
Black Detail: Off
Active LED Zones: On (toggle right)
Reduce Judder: 1
Reduce Motion Blur: 10
Clear Action: Off (toggle left)
Reduce Signal Noise: Off
Reduce Block Noise: Off
Game Low Latency: Off (toggle left)
Picture Size: [no change]
Picture Position: [no change]
Film Mode: Auto
Color Space: Auto
Gamma: 2.4

Color Calibration menu:
Picture Mode: Calibrated Dark*
Color Temperature: Normal*

Color Tuner menu:
Primary Color Enabled menu: [no change; all toggle right]
Hue: (Red 0, Green 0, Blue 0, Cyan -14, Magenta 0, Yellow 4)
Saturation: (all colors 0)
Brightness: (Red 0, Green 0, Blue 10, Cyan 0, Magenta 0, Yellow 0)
Offset: (Red 0, Green 0, Blue 1)
Gain: (Red 0, Green 0, Blue 6)

11-point White Balance menu: [no change]

*Vizio uses asterisks in its menu system to denote a non-default menu item category, so I simply reproduced those asterisks above where appropriate.

HDR notes (updated September 19)

As I mentioned in the review update, I'm not going to fully evaluate the P series HDR until at least one more round of software upgrades that Vizio says will improve HDR10 performance.

I did measure HDR10 with the current software (version 2.0.13.13) and it wasn't great. The P series' EOTF hewed less closely to the target than most other TVs I've tested, grayscale was relatively inaccurate and (minus green) and advanced color metrics were poor. I won't go into more detail simply because Vizio's software might improve the numbers, although I'm not sure how much it can.

In the meantime I did want to clear up one mistake I made in the initial P series review. Using the Dolby Vision Golden Reference system, which sets a Dolby/Vizio supplied target for color and other metrics, I reported 98% coverage of the P3 color space. That's incorrect as far as I can tell, mainly because correct P3 coverage targets are by design different from (and wider than) the Golden Reference targets for this TVs.

I re-measured the P series' P3 gamut coverage using HDR10 test patterns and the correct targets, courtesy of a workflow provided by Spectracal, makers of the CalMan software I use for calibration and evaluation of all TVs. I use the same workflow to measure gamuts on all of my recent TV reviews. The result for the P series was 86% coverage of P3 in Dynamic mode, and a significantly worse 77% in Calibrated and Calibrated Dark modes. That's worse than most other HDR TVs I've measured, albeit better than the Vizio M series. As far as I can tell, using Dolby Vision mode doesn't improve those results.

Since I always report the highest number possible in the Geek Box the P series scored an "Average" in this category, but in reality I'd suggest using one of the Calibrated modes for HDR (which are much more accurate than Vivid overall, despite their narrower gamuts), which would score a "Poor" in the Geek Box for P3 coverage with its lower percentage.

I will keep my original discussion of light output in Dolby Vision mode (below, lightly edited), which is roughly accurate and pertains as well to HDR10 with the current software. I'm not going to update the review yet because Vizio says one of the improvements in the updated software is improving light output in HDR10. We'll see.

To measure max light output in Dolby Vision I tried a bunch of different modes. The brightest was Vivid, which measured 521 cd/m2 with a ten percent window and 650 cd/m2 with a full screen. Of course it was wildly inaccurate. In their default settings both Calibrated and Calibrated dark registered around the same light output (468/534 cd/m2), interestingly enough, despite having different backlight settings. As with some previous HDR TVs, the menu settings don't correspond perfectly to on-screen modes, so a particular backlight setting in SDR doesn't equate to the same light output in HDR, for example.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Vizio P series (2016) picture settings
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Vizio P series (2016) picture settings
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Link to calibration results
by katzmaier CNET staff/forum admin / May 9, 2016 9:58 AM PDT
Collapse -
Firmware Version 2.2.3.3 Release
by Jacobb94 / September 20, 2016 5:41 PM PDT

@katzmaier Hi, long time reader.

I was just wondering if Vizio gave any indication of when firmware version 2.2.3.3 (or the revised version) might be available for public release? It sounds like it may solve some of the HDR metadata issues left in the previous firmware update.

Thank You!

Collapse -
ALZ On or Off?
by beardontwalk123 / May 10, 2016 5:07 AM PDT

Did you calibrate when ALZ or FALD on or off with calibration?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.