HDTV Picture Setting forum

Vizio E320i-A0 picture settings

by katzmaier CNET staff/forum admin / September 30, 2012 11:16 PM PDT

Related products:

Calibration report using these settings:

TV software/firmware version tested:

Below you'll find the settings I found best for viewing the Vizio E320i-A0 in a dim room via the HDMI input. Your settings may vary depending on source, room conditions, and personal preference. Check out the Picture settings and calibration FAQ for more information.

Calibration notes: Vizio's most-accurtate setting out of the box was Movie, with the Normal color temperature setting engaged. It was quite dim at 23.77 fL however, gamma was very dark too at 2.734 and the grayscale was minus-green. Vizio's controls were effective in fixing the worst of these issues, however, and grayscale in particular after calibration was very flat and consistent, at least above 20 IRE. The darker portions of the scale were still too blue, and gamma too dark though. The DCR control did improve black levels somewhat but it also sacrificed even more detail in shadows, so I left in turned off since the tradeoff wasn't worth it.

---Picture settings menu---
Picture Mode: Movie
Backlight: 59
Brightness: 53
Contrast: 75
Color: 50
Tint: -3
Sharpness: 0

---Size & Position submenu---
[no change]

---Color Temperature submenu---
Colour temperature: Normal
Red Gain: 66
Green Gain: 77
Blue gain: 106
Red offset: 125
Green offset: 128
Blue offset: 135

--Advanced Picture submenu---
Noise Reduction: Off
Color Enhancement: Off
Adaptive Luma: Off
Film Mode: Auto
Backlight Control: Off
Ambient Light sensor: Off

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Vizio E320i-A0 picture settings
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Vizio E320i-A0 picture settings
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Incorrect Picture Settings
by MasterZoen / January 26, 2013 10:38 AM PST

These settings can't be correct for the simple fact that the Color Gain settings don't go above 100. For that matter setting the Sharpness to 0 makes everything so blurry as to be indistinguishable

Collapse -
Newer Model = Different settings
by MasterZoen / January 26, 2013 10:54 AM PST

Never mind my earlier post, as somehow I managed to buy the E320i-A2 rather than the E320i-A0. They apparently changed the BIOS enough that the settings to get best picture in a dark room are completely different.

Collapse -
Newer model = different values
by James_Kaan / September 1, 2013 3:16 PM PDT

I bought E320-A1 myself, which foregoes the smart tv features and has the different bios. The specs of the TV's seem to be identical across the board, though. I looked up the manual for MY tv model and it showed the default color temperature values as 128--the midpoint. Judging by that, I adjusted the values listed in the review from a 256-point scale to a 100-point scale (with some rounding off):

Red Gain: 26
Green Gain: 30
Blue Gain: 41
Red Offset: 49
Green Offset: 50
Blue Offset: 53

I then changed my contrast, color, and hue settings, all of which I had adjusted differently using the AVS HD 709 disc. Now, I've changed everything to the values listed above and, man, it does look better. It's brighter, for sure (higher contrast), but skin tones really look right now. I hope this helps anyone who has the same "different model/different bios" problem.

Collapse -
by MasterZoen / September 19, 2013 3:31 PM PDT

What did you end up setting the options on the picture settings menu to? and which picture mode did you use for this? I'm running vivid, and I have to say that your color values seem pretty nice, but it's just a little too bright for dark room use.

Collapse -
by James_Kaan / September 21, 2013 3:54 AM PDT

All of my other settings are the same as the Cnet configuration:

Picture mode: Movie
Backlight: 59
Brightness: 53
Contrast: 75
Sharpness: 2 (OK, this one's different)

In the Advanced Picture menu, I have everything set to off except for Film Mode.

In my previous basic calibration, I had the contrast in the low 50s. The increase to 75 was jarring at first because the TV became a lot brighter--too bright to watch in the dark, like you said. But I have a bias light behind my tv, so I just adjusted that to be brighter instead.

Collapse -
Too bright...
by MasterZoen / September 22, 2013 10:01 PM PDT

I use this TV for gaming and movies in a dark room setup for that, with the TV mounted on the wall, so the values of Backlight, Brightness and Contrast you listed are just too high for my setup. The Sharpness alone renders everything blurry and indistinct at that setting. I had to raise it quite a bit to see text properly.

I changed the Backlight and the Brightness to get rich shadows and gorgeous light rays. I've rarely ever noticed what the Contrast setting does, and the few TV's where I did, it functioned like the Sharpness setting does here. The menu says it adjust the White level, but after I adjusting the Backlight and Brightness I don't see any difference between 50 and 75, so I put it at 65.

Picture mode: Movie
Backlight: 40
Brightness: 30
Contrast: 65
Sharpness: 10

Collapse -
Some issues I found
by Billerica50 / June 10, 2013 3:36 AM PDT

I just bought this Visio set. No user manual was packed with it, I called support and they said they went green and all I needed to do was down load it and print it. That of course will not save any paper, just saves cost for Visio. The screws needed to mount the set to a wall unit were metric # 4 .7 MM pitch and 18MM in length. Not even Home Depot carries them.

The worst issue I found was that all application from the web open in 25% of the screen on the left. The manual says that the blue button on the remote will expand them to full screen but it does not do so. I called support and they said that not all application supported expansion. When I asked which did support it or where I could get a list I was put on hold for a period and when they came back they said they could not find any app that expanded. they did say older TV did do this. ( once a video is select for play the play back will expand).They also said it was Yahoo's issue as they provide the app UI for the set and Visio is just the HW producer. I reminded them that 1. the manual says the blue button expanded the app and 2. Yahoo may do the FW/SW but they do it FOR Visio. I explained that have internet apps displayed in 25% of the screen renders the apps useless, support agreed and said they would escalate the issue to engineering. Stay tuned.

I was surprised that CInet missed this critical issue in their review.

Collapse -
Recommendations for Vizio E320i-B1
by megconnor / April 13, 2014 3:16 AM PDT

I attempted to apply these settings to my new Vizio E320i-B1, but the resulting picture quality was far from optimal. I've scanned the interwebs for suggestions regarding picture settings for my model in particular, but I have yet to turn up anything useful. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Collapse -
by emmaharward789 / May 17, 2014 10:36 PM PDT

I use this TV for gaming and movies in a dark room setup for that, with the TV mounted on the wall, so the values of Backlight, Brightness and Contrast you listed are just too high for my setup. The Sharpness alone renders everything blurry and indistinct at that setting. I had to raise it quite a bit to see text properly.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
Laptops 20,411 discussions
Security 30,882 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
Phones 16,494 discussions
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

Amazon Echo Dot is the future

The new and improved Echo Dot takes Amazon's best-in-class smart home speaker and wraps it in an ultra-affordable package. See why it earned our Editors' Choice award.