Cameras forum

General discussion

vivitar 8400

by mrtike / June 12, 2009 5:31 AM PDT

I have a vivitar 8400 digital camera.
I get a card read error on my 8gb scandisk sdhc memory card. the camera works fine without sd card in.has 32 mb internal memory.the old card doesnt work in my cardreader on my pc either. card reader works with other media. I purchased 2 new 8gb sdhc cards and get same card read error when i put either in the camera. both brand new cards wont work in the card reader on my pc.
The camera works fine on internal memory.I can use usb cable without card in camera and can view pictures.camera comes up as drive letter L:. The card reader slot that reads sd cards is drive letter J:.
I checked device manager and get yellow circle and black exclamation point.check properties and says drive is set to safely remove. unplug cardreader and reinstall. I did that and card reader shows up in device manager ok. I can click on J: and get message to insert diskand when i insert sd card into slot and nothing happens . locks up pc and have to reboot.
i called vivitar and they said cards should work in camera. they said also that they would call me back within 48 hrs.
I cant tell what is corrupting cards. Also i cant formatt new cards in camera . dont get format completed message .
anybody have any ideas. am going to try another cardreader over my friends house to check cards.
anybody hav eany ideas .

thanks
mike

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: vivitar 8400
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: vivitar 8400
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Vivitar 8400
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / June 12, 2009 9:35 AM PDT
In reply to: vivitar 8400

Mike

I can not find anything that says the 8400 can handle SDHC cards.

The specifications say SD cards.

Any SD card that has a capacity of 4 gig or higher is called SDHC.
The HC means high capacity.
It takes special firmware in the camera to be able to handle HC cards.

The problem with your card reader is likely caused by trying to read HC cards too.
You must use a card reader that is qualified for HC cards.

I suggest you buy a SD card with a capacity of 2 gig or less.

Collapse -
vivitar 8400
by mrtike / June 17, 2009 1:27 PM PDT
In reply to: Vivitar 8400

thanks for the info in your reply.something just isnt adding up on my end.
Ive had this camera for about 3 years.ive used it many times before and copied pics to pc with cardreader.
Last time I touched the camera was when our grandson came to visit us after his birthday back in sept.he's 15.he had a new digital camera he'd gotten for his birthday. the camera had no memory card.(cheap camera doesnt work anymore).I took the memory card out of the vivitar and let him try it in his new camera. A couple days later he and grandma went out to buy a memory card for his camera.I never heard much more about it.
I went to take a picture of some flowers outside,put the sdhc card into the camera and got my cardread error. I think some body bought the wrong card for their camera and left me the 8 gig.sdhc card.
So i figured taht the 8 gig sdhc card got contaminated or went bad so I bougut 2 more 8 gig sdhc cards only to find out nothing works.
I did virus scan on my vivitar 8400. came back clean.
I talked to vivitar and they said that they couldnt help me because they didnt have any info on anything from the old vivitar company.
I wish i could remember what size card I bought when I got this camera,but i dont think 8 gig sdhc was around 3 years ago.
I cant find out what make the cardreader is but i have spec page.usb 2.0 compliant,data transfer high speed 480Mbps,full speed 12Mbps,and low speed 1.5 Mbps.The card reader supports 15 different cards.It makes reference to ( Fully compliant with Secure Digital (SD) v 1.0).nothing about sdhc.I think sombody did a switch without telling me.
Im going to try a smaller sd card.ill let you know how i make out.
Does all this make any sense to you?
thanks for the help. will check back this weekend.
mike

Collapse -
Yes, it makes sense to me
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / June 18, 2009 12:41 AM PDT

If you camera is about 3 years old, it can not use SDHC memory cards.

If your card reader can read 15 different cards, it can not read or write SDHC cards.
All of those multi-usage card readers were deigned/built way back when SDHC did not exist.

Just buy a new SD memory card and make sure that its capacity is no more than 2 gig.
I would suggest a 1 gig card because the 2 gig card was late in coming out.
Even though your camera should be able to read a 2 gig card, it is likely it has never been tested with a 2 gig card by the manufacturer.
Any SD card 2 gig and under should work with your card reader.

This is the type of mess that I could foresee when they came out with the SDHC cards.
Some people tend to buy the biggest card they can find/afford.

The SD consortium has already announced the next step in SD memory cards - the SDXC (extended capacity).
In sizes from 32 gig up to 2 terabytes.
In March of this year, Pretec announced that they have built the first production SDXC 32 gig card.
Currently there are no devices available that can use a SDXC card.

Collapse -
vivitar 8400
by mrtike / June 18, 2009 8:44 AM PDT

thanks for your insight and help. My memory aint what it used to be.I think my grandson pulled a switch.Kids . oh well.
I returned the 2 sdhc cards and ordered 2 -2gig. sd cards. 4.99 a peice plus s&h.
The people at vivatar said any sd card should work.we'll see.
Now that i think about it I got a 1 gig card with the camera.
thanks again for the help. Ill let you know the final results when the new cards com in .I ordered them from tigerdirect.com.
thanks again
mike p

Collapse -
vivitar 8400
by mrtike / June 22, 2009 10:47 AM PDT

the 2 gig cards worked in the camera and my cardreader on my pc.
case closed .
thank you for the help.
mikep

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks For The Feedback
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / June 23, 2009 12:20 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?