Computer Help forum

General discussion

Visuals at start up but not once Windows 'sound' plays

by allisonn58 / August 21, 2009 4:04 AM PDT

I have an Acer Aspire 5735Z running Windows Vista (service pack 2 recently installed and working properly)

When I turn on the machine, I get the Acer screen, then microsoft screen, then it goes greeny-black, then black, and then I hear the Windows 'music' but don't see the logo that usually accompanies the sound and then..nothing! What To Do????

I think we got a lemon! Within two months of purchasing this machine I had to replace the harddrive - please tell me I don't have to do that again! (This laptop only cost us about $450 and quoted cost of service and repair are starting to exceed that amount! I've not owned it a year yet!)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Visuals at start up but not once Windows 'sound' plays
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Visuals at start up but not once Windows 'sound' plays
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
warranty?
by jeff_windows_team / August 21, 2009 4:10 AM PDT

What is your warranty status? You tone makes me think you don't have one?!?

Collapse -
Yes - warranty still running
by allisonn58 / August 21, 2009 4:26 AM PDT
In reply to: warranty?

Machine was purchased in Oct. of '08 Still on warranty.

This problem occured once before when trying to install an aircard from Sierra Wireless-
Geek Squad replaced harddrive (two months into ownership)

I tried to install updates for Sierra Wireless aircard and machine kept getting error messages so I quit process.
Computer worked fine (turned on and off several times as it should)

Then all of a sudden - problem as described in my original posting.

Collapse -
You got ripped off
by Jimmy Greystone / August 21, 2009 4:59 AM PDT

You got ripped off if you paid someone to replace the hard drive while the system was under warranty. That can actually void your warranty, having someone work on it like that.

If you're having problems and it's within the warranty period, you should only be talking to Acer. If it were me, it'd be about getting my money back, but I might be a touch biased against cheap low end POS models that Acer and HP base the bulk of their sales on.

Collapse -
Acer was contacted as far as I know -
by allisonn58 / August 21, 2009 5:44 AM PDT
In reply to: You got ripped off

Geek Squad were in charge of that and getting the work done-

At any rate-
I will take your advice and contact Acer once again-
it's been a good reliable machine after first harddrive replaced and lowend or not, I like it. (And my husband's works like a dream)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.