General discussion

Visual basic that works on xp sp2

I am running XP Pro, service pack 2

Is there any version of Visual Basic that is free?
If so, where can I find it.

I tried microsoft.com, but it hard to find things.

Thanks.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Visual basic that works on xp sp2
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Visual basic that works on xp sp2
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Most all should

Most all should as far back as probably VB4. I'm not sure if VisualStudio Express offers VisualBasic as an option, but that would be your best bet.

You also should be running SP3. Any recent version of VB is likely going to require that.

- Collapse -
Thanks.

Thanks for the info.

SP3 has no major improvements over sp2, it mainly encourages
the upgrade to Vista or Win 7.

I am very pleased with Win XP Pro.

- Collapse -
Then you might be out of luck.

Go ahead and try Visual Express but don't be surprised if it asks for SP3.

You're the first I read such a claim about SP3 being a encouragement to moving to Vista or Win 7. But let me comment that the office is in a full move to Windows 7. It's very nice.
Bob

- Collapse -
That's because

That's because service packs are typically just large collections of security updates. Sometimes they include minor new features, but generally they're just designed to improve security and stability of the existing product. Several times there are security updates included ONLY in service packs, and so by not applying the service pack, you don't get that update and are thus vulnerable to attack.

There are also a million different conspiracy theories about service packs, and I have yet to see a single one that is true. Some people complain it made their system unbootable, but every time you do a postmortem analysis of those systems you find extensive evidence of malware. HP did do something stupid with the image they load onto all systems which caused issues with SP3, but that was HP's fault.

Like Bob, the idea that it encourages people to upgrade to Vista or 7 is a new one. It's completely false too. You probably SHOULD be moving to one of those two (or Linux) simply because XP is receiving less and less attention when it comes to fixing security updates. There are already a couple of known exploits in XP that Microsoft has said it won't be fixing. And before giving some kneejerk reaction, think about it for a second. XP is nearly 10 years old. How long exactly should Microsoft be expected to continue spending money fixing a product out of their own pocket?

- Collapse -
It came from ms.com

My comments are based on what microsoft.com has stated in their release notes for SP3.

I did not make this up. Happy

Have a good day.

- Collapse -
Let's see it

Let's see it. Post a link, because I'm not buying it.

- Collapse -
So aside from

So aside from like two lines at the top of the first link, what exactly are you basing your claims on again? And the only reason you should be seeing those two lines is because a useragent string sniffing script spotted that you're not running XP.

But I'm really failing to see how either of those links supports your claim that all SP3 does is promote the idea that people upgrade to Vista or 7. Is there some specific aspect of those that you'd care to point out, or is it just another case of reading between selected lines?

- Collapse -
Employee ?

Do you work for Microsoft?

I hope you have a great day.

Happy

- Collapse -
Nice claim but "topic"?

If you want to get back on topic, just reply to your top post.

Did you find the free Visual Express?

- Collapse -
Nope

Nope... I just have a thing about people who make completely baseless claims. If a company screws up, they deserve to be taken to task over it, but making false accusations is completely counterproductive.

Your attempt at changing the subject and turning the conversation back on me confirms what I already suspected. You have absolutely nothing to back up your claim. So, at this point I am going to suggest that a moderator simply prune this thread from the point of your false accusation onward.

CNET Forums

Forum Info