Web Hosting, Design, & Coding forum

General discussion

Visual Basic 6.0 vs .NET Framework 2.0

by wrytat / September 7, 2006 11:37 AM PDT

I don't know where is appropriate to post this question, but anyway... Our company is going to develop a system (that includes finance, inventory, store, delivery and etc.) using MS SQL Server 2000 as the database. The program also requires the user to be able to access via the Internet using a web-based platform.

We are considering whether to develop the program using Visual Basic 6.0 or .NET Framework 2.0 (or Framework 1.1). Visual Basic 6.0 because our IT programmers are more familiar with the language and it's more stable. What would be your advice?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Visual Basic 6.0 vs .NET Framework 2.0
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Visual Basic 6.0 vs .NET Framework 2.0
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Get it done.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 7, 2006 1:11 PM PDT

I've run into language dictatorships before and the downside was delays. If you want it done, just let the programmer choose and move forward.

The only downside could be the lack of the right version of VB6 or .net. I had to get the Enterprise version to talk proper to SQL.

Collapse -
Language vs Framework...
by steve749 / September 8, 2006 2:06 AM PDT

Not sure I see where this goes in a sense. The "web-based platform" will be using what: ASP, ASP.Net, VB DLLs, Web Services, or something else?

If you go for ASP.Net then I'd suggest using VB.Net as the language and either .Net framework as it shouldn't be that hard to change languages for the few differences. There may even be utilities to handle the conversion.

If you go the ASP route then you could use VB for the COM DLLs as part of the architecture to get around the .Net stuff though I'm not sure how well this scales as most ASP development has moved onto the .Net bandwagon.

Other solutions exist but it may be worth mapping out what you want here since VB 6.0 is a language and not a framework.

Just to note something here, I have used a few versions of the framework with C#.Net mostly so that could be another option is to migrate to that.

Collapse -
The reason...
by wrytat / September 10, 2006 10:03 AM PDT

Thank you. What's the difference between framework and language?

Actually, the reason I asked this was... Our programmers intend to use Visual Basic 6.0 as the language to write the program. However, some of us thought that since Visual Basic 6.0 is already not supported by Microsoft, and the technology has already advanced to .NET for quite some time, why should we still use Visual Basic 6.0? We worry that Visual Basic 6.0 will get obsolete very soon and it might get very hard to maintain and do futher developments in the future due to compatibility and programmers of the "younger generation" might not be able to comprehend that language well. And since we have a later technology and we are starting from scratch, why choose an older one? That's our concern. Please comment.

Collapse -
"since we have a later technology and we are starting from .
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 10, 2006 10:16 AM PDT
In reply to: The reason...

"since we have a later technology and we are starting from scratch, why choose an older one?"

I continue to issue new apps in VB6 because it continues to work well, the suite is paid for and there are no .NET features I need today.

My customer did ask about moving to .NET but was not ready to pay for the increased delivery times and added costs.

I do read your concerns but ask your programming staff if they are ready to deliver the project on the same schedule if you mandate .NET.

Collapse -
Why use VB6....
by steve749 / September 11, 2006 1:45 PM PDT
In reply to: The reason...

Frameworks are something to add onto the code to make the application. So for example, my web applications use the ASP.Net 2.0 Framework which means that I need the 2.0 Version of the framework and have a choice of languages, VB.Net, C#.Net or J#.Net being the three options. There are other versions but also other structures that could be used like regular ASP, though this could be a bit of a challenge if most new developers aren't really comfortable coding in ASP, using either of Microsoft's scripting languages for it. A language OTOH defines what syntax the code will have and the physical look and if it is compiled or interpreted and a few other factors. Another way to think of this is that a framework is simply a set of libraries while a language requires more work.

One idea can be to use that now as this is likely the easiest course of action at the moment. The architect can set things up properly using VB's structure which may down the road get migrated but then maybe not. I don't think it is necessarily that difficult for some to go back to VB 6 for some features/bug fixes while in other cases when it is time to rewrite the application from scratch it may turn out that there is an entirely new framework to use like Windows Presentation Foundation instead of the Win32 API to give one pair of examples as the WPF is in beta right now but will be out in the new year in its first version I believe.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?