Computer Help forum

General discussion

Vista/XP Downgrade Woes

So here's the story.

My friend was tired of having Vista on her laptop, so I decided to let her borrow my XP Home disk, and I did a clean install. I should of did a backup but I didn't have the sufficient space to dump the files in and she didn't care. I'm not an expert on these things but I know my basics. Apparently she can't access the internet anymore because she messaged me on another computer. I'm just guessing that the clean install wiped out the drivers/programs for her wireless modem/etc. Am I right in saying this?

I don't have the pure details as it isn't my computer, but if anyone could set me a couple guidelines on how to get these necessities back, it'd be much appreciated.

Thanks.

If this thread is in an inappropriate section, please feel free to move it.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Vista/XP Downgrade Woes
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Vista/XP Downgrade Woes
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Since you don't have a make or model, here is...

In reply to: Vista/XP Downgrade Woes

Collapse -
I have the laptop now.

In reply to: Since you don't have a make or model, here is...

It's an HP dv9000, the codes on the sticker were as follows:

GS730UAR#ABA

2CB7423XB0

It's a refurbished model. Can anyone locate the drivers for me?

Collapse -
The dv9000 is the series.

In reply to: I have the laptop now.

The dv9000t is the intel based models and the dv9000z is the AMD based ones.

You'll have to be more specific but once you find the part number, google and you'll find your drivers.
Bob

Collapse -
Alright.

In reply to: The dv9000 is the series.

I'll do that in the morning. Thanks.

Collapse -
It's a dz9000z then.

In reply to: The dv9000 is the series.

I just downloaded all the drivers at this link http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=228&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3224049&lang=en
except for sp38061.exe(WinFlash for HP Notebook System BIOS (for Notebooks with AMD Processors) - Microsoft Windows/Vista-Based, which would not allow me to download it)
and sp34397.exe(HP Upgrade Utility for Microsoft Windows Vista (Web Version)) because it seemed useless in my case.

Is there a specific order I should be installing them once I transfer them to the laptop?

Collapse -
At post 2 I supplied a link...

In reply to: It's a dz9000z then.

And the order of install is noted there. Not exactly your model but the order should be similar.
Bob

Collapse -
Stumped.

In reply to: At post 2 I supplied a link...

I've tried installing the drivers..some worked, some didn't. I still don't have any sound and the wireless internet only seems to detect networks. I tried connecting it to my own router several times but it wouldn't work.

I took up a chat with the people at HP.
--
Hello Ben.

Welcome to HP Total Care. My name is Samson. How may I assist you today?

Hello, I have an HP Pavilion dv9000z that I recently downgraded from
Windows Vista to Windows XP. I'm looking to reinstall the proper drivers?

HP only supports the usage of the preinstalled version of operating system
on its products.Installing a retail version of operating system will bring
compatiblity issues with the operating system.

As an attempt, you can try installing them, however, I can't assure you
that all will work as your notebook is designed for Vista and there might
be any compatability issue with the drivers

Could you please let me know the exact serial number and product number of
your notebook?

Serial number consists of 10 or 12 alpha numeric digits, it is on the
bottom of your notebook, which is on white sticker and product number
consists of 7 to 8 alpha numberic digits.

Serial: 2CB7423XB0

Got it.

Product: GS730UAR

Thank you for the information.

Could you please provide me a few moments while I search the information
for you?

Sure.

Thank you.

Thank you for your time and patience.

Here are the links for Windows XP drivers:

UAA drivers to enable the audio hardware for Windows XP.

Note: It is strongly recomended to install ths driver before you install
the audio driver. If you do not install this driver the audio will not
work.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp33501-34000/sp33867.exe

Please don't click the link directly. Please copy and paste it on the
address bar of your browser and press enter.

Are you able to open the link?

Yes.

Allright.

Realtek High-Definition Audio Driver:

ftp://202.65.194.212/pc/audio/WDM_R169.zip

NOTE: The URL above will take you to a non HP Web site. HP does not
control and is not responsible for information outside of the HP Web site.

Okay.

Motorola SM56 Data Fax Modem Driver:

http://www.opendrivers.com/driver/213152/motorola-sm56-dfv-universal-driver-windows-2000-xp-free-download.html

OR

http://www.softwarepatch.com/utilities/motorola-sm56.html

Realtek RTL8101 Family PCI-E Fast Ethernet NIC driver:

http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/NETWORK-CARD/REALTEK/Realtek-RTL8100-RTL8101-RTL8111-RTL8168-Driver-66804122007-WHQL.shtml

Broadcom Wireless LAN Driver:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=321957&prodSeriesId=1842187&prodNameId=1842188&swEnvOID=228&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=ob-53245-1

Are you able to open the links?

Yes.

Okay.

NVIDIA nForce Chipset Driver and Network Controller:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=321957&prodSeriesId=1842187&prodNameId=1842188&swEnvOID=228&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=ob-42431-1

NVIDIA GeForce 8400M/8600M GS Video Driver:

http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

Once you open the above link Select Graphic drivers>>Geforce 8
series>>Windows XP /2000/Media senter. And click on Go.

Ricoh 5-in-1 Card Reader Driver:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp33501-34000/sp33604.exe

9. Software and Drivers for HP Integrated Module with Bluetooth:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp32501-33000/sp32883.exe

I completed with all the drivers.

Additionally, I will mail this chat to your e-mail

All right, thanks for your help.

You are most welcome.

Have a great day.

Is there anything else I can assist you with today?
--

I tried just installing these drivers also to no avail. Some could not detect the hardware needed..etc. I'm quite frustrated and I don't feel like going into much detail(like 35 degrees in here).

If I have to give up, could everything just go back to normal by reinstalling Vista or something else?

Collapse -
What they didn't tell you...

In reply to: Stumped.

If you get the order wrong you end up doing something like drinking a 6 pack and having your friend spin you on the merry go round for an hour. (You won't feel good!)

-> When I get a machine like that I have to dive into the DEVICE MANAGER to remove the audio items and luckily the next reboot finds the audio.

If that fails, start over and adher to the install order. If you didn't get the chipset driver in, I expect failures. HP KNOWS THE INSTALL ORDER AND IT CHANGES WITH EACH MODEL SO ALL I CAN DO IS GIVE YOU THE FINE EXAMPLE.

If you just wing it, it may not work.
Bob

Collapse -
Another nutty thing.

In reply to: What they didn't tell you...

-> You do have XP SP2 on that Windows XP CD? I've run into failed installs that work when we use the current version of the Windows XP CD.
Bob

Collapse -
It's an XP Home Edition Version 2002 disk.

In reply to: Another nutty thing.

So I'm not sure. Anyhow I got the internet to work so I guess I'm good for now, except sound.

Collapse -
Send me a screenshot of the device manager.

In reply to: It's an XP Home Edition Version 2002 disk.

Try photobucket.com. You didn't tell if you tried my trick.
Bob

Collapse -
Alright.

In reply to: Send me a screenshot of the device manager.

Collapse -
Looks grim.

In reply to: Alright.

That looks like you didn't get all the drivers. I'm going to suggest you do it again but use their drivers in the right order and the link I gave as a install order guide.

-> Its also clear now you don't have the XP SP2 CD. Right or wrong I've learned that I must have this or I expect trouble.

TRY THIS FIRST. INSTALL the MS UAA driver from this link ->
ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp33001-33500/sp33411.exe
Harold: 3. UAA drivers to enable the audio hardware for Windows XP.
Note: It is strongly recomended to install ths driver before you install the audio driver. If you do not install this driver the audio will not work.

The drivers in steps 1 and 2 should be done first.
Bob

Collapse -
RE: Access Denied Issues

In reply to: Alright.

Oh for the love of..

So you're saying I have to reboot once again, somehow get SP2 on here without installing the drivers, THEN install the drivers in their proper order?

Collapse -
RE: Looks grim.

Upon installing the driver(nVidia nForce chipset driver and networking controller)I get an 'Access is denied' error for c:\swsetup\sp33411\Thumbs.db

Collapse -
For access denied issues...

In reply to: RE: Looks grim.

I can make a bet you didn't install from a XP SP2 CD and follow the example install order. It's possible you have just "tried", failed and must start over.
Bob

Collapse -
So you're saying I have to reboot once again, somehow get SP

So you're saying I have to reboot once again, somehow get SP2 on here without installing the drivers, THEN install the drivers in their proper order?

Why not do it that way? As noted by HP, me and many others?

I know that many wish (a pox on) Microsoft would have fixed this(driver hell) but they didn't and here we are.
Bob

Collapse -
So that's the solution?

In reply to: So you're saying I have to reboot once again, somehow get SP

Say I reboot, install the LAN/modem/etc drivers to get the internet up and running, update Windows to SP2 and then install the other drivers in proper order. That way everything will be in working order. I hope.

Friend's expecting this to be done by tomorrow evening..so I'll give it a shot tonight.

Collapse -
It might be.

In reply to: So you're saying I have to reboot once again, somehow get SP

Right or wrong, it's the method I use and I wish there was no difference when you don't use the CDs prior to XP SP2 but I've seen failures like yours until you perform the steps "just so."

Hopefully you'll nail it next time.

Collapse -
Seems to work well now.

In reply to: Since you don't have a make or model, here is...

Did the reboot and got everything in the right order. Sound works now but I'm not sure about the graphics card. When I tried to install the driver I received from the HP tech, it gave me an error saying there are no drivers compatible to the hardware. I may have the wrong driver so I'll try to look for a different one.

Nonetheless everything seems in working order now. Thanks for all your help.

Collapse -
Borrow your XP CD?

In reply to: Vista/XP Downgrade Woes

If that XP is in use in another computer, she may, in any case have problems validating the install.

Mark

Collapse -
RE:

In reply to: Borrow your XP CD?

It's a retail version, good for a couple computers I believe. Anyhow the installation worked out fine, I just think we need to re download the necessary drivers that were lost in the disk format.

Collapse -
Just so you know. No XP Retail version is

In reply to: RE:

Good for more than 1 PC. We don't have to prove it since this license has teeth. As the activation is checked the machines will stop booting one by one until only one works.

Be sure you are not giving up YOUR only license. Remember I will not debate this since it will just fix itself and let you know about it with a vengence.
Bob

Collapse -
I was not aware of that.

In reply to: Just so you know. No XP Retail version is

You'd figure that if that was the case, they'd deny the installation upfront if the product key was used on another computer.

Collapse -
It's insidious?

In reply to: I was not aware of that.

The reason they let you do that is to allow you to move your license to your new machine without bother. The new machine becomes the new license holder and when Windows Update or WGA runs again all this comes crashing down on the (sorry for the word here) hapless owners.

You'll find this plea on our forums such as "what do I do now?" and soon not only will this bite the owners but bury them as Microsoft stops the sales of Retail XP (real soon now.)
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.