General discussion

Vista won't boot up after update

Toshiba laptop running Vista Home Premium. A friend asked for help removing the Antivirus 2010 malware. So I ran both Malwarebytes and SuperAntispyware on his system and cleaned it up, rebooted and all seemed fine. We noticed that the Windows Update icon was alerting us to updates being available so we let that run. It loaded updates for the .Net Framework and RealTek network controller. Now the system will not boot up.

We tried normal boot, last good boot and Safe Mode with the same results. It gets to the screen with the green activity bar and just stays there forever. When trying Safe Mode, it just lists all the drivers like normal but just stays there. We have tried each of these several times.

Normally I might try to remove the latest updates but can't do that if I can't boot up in some manner. I would appreciate any assistance with this.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Vista won't boot up after update
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Vista won't boot up after update
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Strange story.
- Collapse -
Starting Safe Mode with Command prompt...

...won't work since we can't boot up in any mode. We don't have a Vista DVD since the repair options for this system are in a recovery partition. Unfortunately the owner never made the recovery discs.

- Collapse -
Odd. You don't own this machine?

Strange. But let's say you are a service shop. The usual next step is to inform the owner that they have choices to make.

1. Pay you to save their files.
2. Pay you to order recovery media.
3. Pay NOW for a new OS CD/DVD and pay to have it installed.

Bob

- Collapse -
Not so strange, that I don't own the machine...

...I am trying to help a neighbor. Thanks for the advice.

- Collapse -
Then re-write my advice.

If we rewrite this it comes out softer but still we need restore media or a new OS to install.

Making restore media (and a copy for a spare) when you get a machine is the cheap fix for when this happens.
Bob

- Collapse -
Re: recovery partition

It that's present, see if you can boot from it and do the recovery back to factory conditions. No need for disks then. But it might be you need a working Windows to make the disk from the partition. That would be a pity.

Kees

CNET Forums

Forum Info