Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Vista Wireless connection problems

by oldlady2 / December 15, 2007 9:52 PM PST

I bought from Best Buy a HP Pavillion Slimline 3200 (desktop)series and having a nightmare connection wirelessly to an existing wireless network using DLink 624 router. I have 2 desktops (XP), 1 laptop (XP and 1 HP PAVILLION Vista) laptop which connect flawlessly. The Slimline connects but only downloads seemingly very small websites, i.e., www.purple.com, or emails of very short length i.e. one or two words. Then it stalls.

All included hardware diagnostics pass.

Previously the unit was exchanged because the DVD unit did not funchtion but the wireless embedded card did; the second unit DVD OK buthad same problem (mentioned above) and was sent to HP which found realtime clock failure and network communication failure; motherboard was replaced.

Now this replacement still is not connecting. Is it software settings, router, or computer hardware. HP doesn't seem in the mood to replace again. It is driving me crazy.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Vista Wireless connection problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Vista Wireless connection problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Drivers up to date?
by Dango517 / December 16, 2007 2:54 AM PST

Check support site for correct settings/manual. Reinstall if need be. Return to store if on warranty. In this order.

Collapse -
before you return it two other suggestions
by Dango517 / December 16, 2007 2:58 AM PST
In reply to: Drivers up to date?

Reset modem and contact IP for connection testing. They have diagnostic that can be used to test the connection. This might give you a lead to the problem as well.

Collapse -
Vista Wireless connection problems
by oldlady2 / December 16, 2007 3:29 AM PST

Thanks for both replies. I think I will take unit to my local ISP to see if it does the same on their wireless connections at the office, before I yell "wolf." My local ISP has great tech support in connection with their DSL and other internet connections.

What intrigues me is the number of problems I am having with each unit of this model. I am on my third unit essentially, although the return to HP netted a new motherboard and serial remained the same.

Collapse -
(NT) Change brands if you return it
by Dango517 / December 16, 2007 3:32 AM PST
Collapse -
Return
by oldlady2 / December 16, 2007 6:50 AM PST

I bought from BEstBuy and refund period is only 15 days. However, I do have an extension of warranty with them albeit their service has been less than stellar. If I don't get relief this round with HP I may try BB at a different store. I'm not sure a change in model will be allowed, although they don't carry this exact model, last time I checked.

Collapse -
Link about setup, a patch, etc.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 16, 2007 3:44 AM PST
Collapse -
HP/wireless settings
by oldlady2 / December 16, 2007 7:24 AM PST

My setup is a DSL phone line to Comtrend (spelling may be incorrect) bridged to a DI-634 D-Link router. The phone company offers a modem router combo, but I declined thinking I may someday switch to cable.

I am using the software with the D-Link router and D-Link wireless cards on 2 computers (XP SP). I added a laptop (XPSP2) which had wireless built in but it failed and I bought a PCMIA D-Link card and use it also with software supplied.

I bought a HP Pavillon Laptop 2415(Vista Home Premium) which connects with the above setup no problems and I guess using Windows wireless settings. I set it up and it connects and runs flawlessly with IE and Windows Mail. I didn't have to change or adjust anything.

Right now the HP SlimLine is in my computer room approximately 15 ft from the router. It says it is connected with a very good signal. It connects without my doing any configurations so guess it is using Windows wireless networking too.

The Slimline DOES connect and try to download websites and e-mails but it "stalls" about 1/4 the way of progress bar and them gives a cannot connect message or in e-mail server "has not responded in 60 sec" message.

I have been thinking of a new wireless networking system but I wanted to wait for Wireless N final . and I'n not sure my older XP computers and and my newer Vista are liking each other at all, much less the D-Link Wireless G network.

DEsktops are home built with AMD Athlon processors, d-LInk cards. 1 gig memory in one and 512 MB in the other. Both have DVD players; one has CD recorder/player.

One laptop is AVeratec 3250 with 1GB memory, DVD recorder player builtin wireless and D-Link PCMIA wireless adapters. The other laptop is HP Pavillion 2415 with DVD recorder/player, 2GBmemory and built in wireless adapter.

All computers have multiple USB ports, and two have multiple card readers, and built in dialup modems.

Ohyes I don't use any encryption. the network is entirely open, and all computers are allowed to share everything. I live in a manufactured home. There is so much metal in it I can't get a wireless signal outside the walls of my house, but have good signals in rooms where computers are located.

Collapse -
"I don't use any encryption."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 16, 2007 9:54 AM PST
In reply to: HP/wireless settings

So you are aware of the usual games and are willing to not try it per our forum sticky?

Thanks for clearing that up.

Bob

Collapse -
settings
by oldlady2 / December 16, 2007 7:29 PM PST

I am printing the sugestions out, although most I have already tried. I am going to do the HOTFIX which I hope is free and the firmware, a procedure I am uncomfortable doing, but have. But today I am taking unit to ISP where a control wireless setting is in place and let them see if it connects properly. They are very near to where I live. This will determine if it is the computer hardware or a problem on my side. I wish there had been some suggestion specific for D-Link (most seemed to be Linksys or Netgear, the latter I am considering switching to.

Collapse -
I think the problem might be in your email settings
by Dango517 / December 16, 2007 11:59 AM PST

Double check them your IP might/should have a wizard or help to make sure they are correct. In particular is a setting in accounts that determines the "server timeouts", mine is set for 4 minutes and "break apart messages larger than" mine is set at 64kb. Make theses changes slowly just a little at a time or you could loss your connection all together. You can contact your IP for support for any connectivity problem.

Collapse -
e mail settings
by oldlady2 / December 16, 2007 7:34 PM PST

I am taking the unit to my ISP (DSL, phone co) Monday where they have a wireless setup which may clear up the source of the problem, the computer hardware or software settings, or my wireless network/software. It seems strange that I can hardwire LAN to the router and it works perfectly.

Collapse -
Vista Wireless connection problems UPDATE
by oldlady2 / December 17, 2007 2:17 AM PST

OK everyone.....
I have an appt Dec. 20 with my ISP technician at the DSL source, my telephone provider. I am taking the computer, the ISP Provided modem and D-Link router. I know this person to be very good. Meanwhile I am downloading and applying every security update I can find for the computer (apparently not done at factory as there are 30) and every driver or firmware update which may or may not have been applied. I'll have this all done by Thursday.

I still maintain IF I CAN CONNECT THE COMPUTER WITH A CAT 5 CABLE TO THE ROUTER LAN CONNECTION AND HAVE INTERNET, THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH THE COMPUTER'S NETWORK MOTHERBOARD-EMBEDDED CONNECTION, especially when 4 other computers (one being a HP PAvillion Laptop with Vista)) all connect flawlessly wirelessly using the current setup.

Will report back my experience!!!

Collapse -
Just sharing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 17, 2007 4:33 AM PST

Another member dug in their heels on the firmware update "because all the other machines work fine." To that I had to sit back and wait for them to ponder or waste time and money or ISP or other technicians. Finally after the techs failed they rejoined the effort in the network forum and the router firmware update fixed the laptop that wouldn't connect. Everyone is dumbfounded over such an issue.

It only makes sense to those that deal with this issue daily it seems.

Bob

Collapse -
firmware/update
by oldlady2 / December 17, 2007 6:11 AM PST
In reply to: Just sharing.

So far today I've downloaded and applied 30 Vista updates, 4 firmware to different hardware in the Pavilion s3200n, including one to the wireless embedded network connection. I am looking for the hotfix or patch referenced in the forum now, and then I have to go to another computer to download and apply a firmware upgrade, albeit 2 yrs old, to the router. Then I think I have done all I can do until I go to ISP, if that does not work. So far the progress bar for e-mail or websites is a little further but never does complete .Websites will load that are already cached when I use the CAT 5 cable--but that doesn't count. I am connected right now with the CAT 5 cable to the router.

Collapse -
Thanks for the updates. More...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 17, 2007 8:31 AM PST
In reply to: firmware/update
Collapse -
Most times the router and adapter up dates
by Dango517 / December 17, 2007 11:11 AM PST
In reply to: firmware/update

have to be down loaded from the manufactures web site these aren't ones that can be counted on Thur Windows auto up dates even if you have them enabled. This also applies to audio and video up dates. I stop by these sites every 3-4 months for up dates, that just the way it is. The audio and video up dates change often. You could stretch the adapters and routers to 6 months. That's my two cents worth, maybe less.

Collapse -
firmware
by oldlady2 / December 17, 2007 8:03 PM PST

I downloaded by computer manufacturer (HP), not Windows update. There are no separate cards in this SlimLine unit. Everything is embedded on motherboard which I dislike. The only computers (I have 5) that work nearly trouble free I built myself.I steer away from "all-in-one" motherboards when building. An all in one is a throwaway in my opinion.

I downloaded the firmware for my "discontinued" DLink router from DLink site. The updated firmware is nearly two years old but I am going to either.

My modem is supplied by DSL provider.

Collapse -
Please note that all details are important.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 18, 2007 12:50 AM PST
In reply to: firmware
Collapse -
DLink firmware update.
by oldlady2 / December 18, 2007 7:57 AM PST

I applied the firmware update dated April 2006, after which the router was no longer supported and discontinued from product line. After installation everything is set at default and my PPOE was disabled. I had to call DLink, pay $30 to get tech help to enable itt again. After completing this procedure, three computers could connect but the SLIMLINE still has the same problem which shows connection but unable to download. Am now checking out your suggestion #9. I still have appt for Dec 20 with ISPc, if everything else fails. I have done a dozen, disconnecting equipment, resetting, reconnecting unplugging, turning off/on etc.

Collapse -
PPPoE.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 18, 2007 9:27 AM PST
In reply to: DLink firmware update.

What was different about PPPoE that needed you to call it in? Here I have "crib notes" or my DSL info on my cheat sheets.

Hint or tip -> Go get Belarc Advisor and MAGIC JELLYBEAN FINDER to produce a few reports to complete your sets if need be.

-> Ok what's not connecting? If a new wifi machine be sure of 2 things.

1. The wifi button on the laptop is "on."
2. It works at wifi hot spots.

Bob

Collapse -
PPoE
by oldlady2 / December 18, 2007 10:28 AM PST
In reply to: PPPoE.

The firmware apparently sets the router back to primary settings according to several tech ISP advisors. What is boiled down to is I had to reenter my IISP account name and password after checking PPoE connect. I thought that meant my user name and password for the DLink utility where I use admin and no password, no encryption. I currently have two desktops (XPs)and one laptop (XP)connection. My other (HP)laptop running VIsta is not available until sometime tomorrow, but it also was connecting just fine. The only machine not connecting is the new HP SLIMLINE desktop running Vista. I think the #9 may be the answer. I haven't had time to hook everything up again to it, probably won't until THursday or Friday.

Collapse -
You might wish to check with your ISP about that wizard.
by Dango517 / December 18, 2007 10:37 AM PST
In reply to: PPoE

I think I'm done here, have a Merry Christmas.

Collapse -
UPDATE to Vista Wireless connection problems
by oldlady2 / December 20, 2007 9:14 PM PST

After doing every thing suggested, FOR WHICH I THANK ALL OF YOU, I carried the HP PAVILION SLIMLINE 3200 series desktop, the problem computer) to my ISP DSL server tech located at my local phone company I carried a new HP PAVILION LAPTOP which connects just fine, and the phone company supplied Comtrend modem, and the D-Link router. We tried every configuration, and used other routers and modems available in the tech room The laptop performed like a champion, the SLIMLINE would connect and then stall in downloading a web page or e-mail of any substance. A page like www.purple.com will download and an e-mail that has less than 10 words will also download. everything else stalls like www.msn.com, even the phone company's web site won't load, which is my home page. We disabled everything that runs at start-up, and nothing loaded. When we hardwired the Slimline with a CAT 5 cable to the router it work acceptably.

So my wireless network works flawlessly with two home-built desktops with XP, one old Averatec laptop with XP, one new HP Pavilion laptop with Vista, but not my essentially third exchanged SLIMLINE. My premise is the same--it is the SLIMLINE and I suspect it is a manufacturing defect in that model as Best Buy does not have them in the store anymore.

SO I AM BACK TO DEALING WITH BEST BUY AND HP--not sure which will be the most receptive.

Collapse -
(NT) Wireless ethernet adapter $30.00+
by Dango517 / December 21, 2007 6:29 AM PST
Collapse -
Wireless ethernet adapter $30
by oldlady2 / December 21, 2007 8:59 PM PST

I finally connected with an HP Senior Case Advisor (you only get to this level of tech support with complex issues) who promised to replace the computer with same or better machine. He is to call me Monday. I faxed him my sales receipts showing I had also put extra memory in the original machine and HP did not transfer it when replacing the motherboard on previous attempt to correct the problem.

There are no expansion slots internally in the very small case. The only possibility is external USB or Firewire adapters. The internal USB wireless adapter is embedded on the motherboard with (of course) USB controller. I am not too impressed with performance of some USB applications.

Stay tuned. We'll see if HP comes through. It ain't over yet. And I'm going to be stuck with the thing regardless of the outcome.

My husband doesn't even want it now. I got his fixed (I built it). When I pulled it out it was full of dust bunnies inside and out. He complained it was shutting down periodically unexpectedly. I blew out the dust and he cleaned more thoroughly and it is performing flawlessly. I told him to clean it up periodically. He can do that as easy as I can.

Collapse -
Yes a new computer should fix the problem.
by Dango517 / December 22, 2007 4:13 AM PST

Merry Christmas. I quess you know one of your gifts this year. Happy

Collapse -
UPDATE to Vista Wireless Connection
by oldlady2 / December 28, 2007 8:24 PM PST

This is an UPDATE ON THE UPDATE: I chose to continue to deal with HP, based on my previous experience with problems with HP products. As of yesterday, a Senior Case Manager stated they have chosen to resolve the matter with an upgraded version of the model in question, and it will have the memory upgrade I had done to the problem model at BestBuy and which HP did not return when it repaired it earlier with a motherboard exchange. Since I have not yet received it, stay turned..................

PS: Interestingly I recetnly was in a Best Buy and notice they no longer has the problem model in their in-store lineup, but a different SlimLine model.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.