General discussion

Vista-Windows 7 Upgrade?--Administrator or Standard Account?

Hello,
I have reinstalled Windows Vista Home Premium on my HP G60 laptop, but am now considering Windows 7. My primary purpose is archive mastering of audio and video with Nero 9. Would Windows 7-64bit give me apparent advantages in this realm?
Also, since I am the only user on my network, Windows stated that I needed an administrator account, and then to set up a standard user account. Should I use the Administrator account for anything? I seem to have had issues with sharing files/folders/programs back and forth with myself (adm. to standard user accnt. and vice-versa), so which account should I log onto for my everyday computing.
One last item, my Recovery disc has 1.75GB of 10.8GB available. What happens to that disc if I install Windows 7? I cannot even access the (EHappy drive. What about he HP programs that came installed on my PC?
Thank you very much for your time,
Eric

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Vista-Windows 7 Upgrade?--Administrator or Standard Account?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Vista-Windows 7 Upgrade?--Administrator or Standard Account?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Thoughts

1. Administrator capable please!

2. Nero 9.

I worry this title will fail. It's well known that some apps cease to work after the upgrade requiring us to reinstall them. Some apps have updates to work on 7, some don't. The good news is that some apps have fine free replacements. I'm not sure if a combination of Virtual Dub, DVD FLICK and CDBURNERXP could sub for Nero 9 but for some it could do in a pinch.

3. The HP installed apps may need a reinstall. Many are at HP.COM under the downloads for your laptop.
Bob

- Collapse -
Vista-Windows 7 Upgrade?--Administrator or Standard Account?

Thanks for the thoughts Bob. So, should I use the Administrator account for everything and just have a standard user account or the other way around? I have had a problem with saving files in Nero 9 while logged in as Administrator and was only able to rip and save tracks using the standard user account.
Eric

- Collapse -
This has been discussed a few times.

With all windows machines you want 2 admin accounts. YOUR CHOICE ON OTHER ACCOUNT TYPES.

The reason is simple. If your lone admin account gets wonky then you can use the other to remove it and create a new one. WHY? Because the old "CORRUPT PROFILE" issue has never been cured.
Bob

- Collapse -
RE: This has been discussed a few times.

So, even though Windows suggests both an administrator account and a standard user account, you are saying I need TWO administrator accounts and no standard user one? I just want to make sure I have your "real world" advice correct; it is greatly appreciated. I have never heard of the "corrupt profile" issue before.
Eric

- Collapse -
Bob refers to that C: Windows.old file

Nobody can get rid of it. It is the linked profile of your Vista's previous installation.

It is also, directly linked and glued to this annoying 'System Restore' feature that both versions of operating systems have.

Windows 8 might not have this annoying flaw and, everybody, will be able to delete it just like in the past with Win. XP and the previous versions. Locate .old file and, delete. Gone, just plain gone, forever.
Wink

- Collapse -
I refer to this because of the corrupt profile issue.

Not because of an undeleteable file. Any user that asks here how to delete the undeleteable will get fine solutions.

--> Here's the scenario. The lone admin account fails. It either is non-operational, corrupt or won't log in. You can research "CORRUPT PROFILE" on google and add any version of Windows to learn about this.

The fix is simple. Have a spare.
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info