Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Vista vs. Vienna

by rbooz / August 22, 2006 2:08 AM PDT

I have been thinking far ahead lately past Vista. And I started researching about Vienna which is supposed to redesign the entire Windows interface, however besides that statement there is no further information. Does anybody no any details about Vienna, I know MS will be getting rid of the start bar/explorer window interface. Will we be moving back to the kind of interface we used in Windows 3.1 with Icons and menu's with no start bar.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Vista vs. Vienna
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Vista vs. Vienna
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Two different camps...
by John.Wilkinson / August 22, 2006 2:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Vista vs. Vienna

Some believe that Vienna will feature a pie-style interface similar to what you see in The Sims. Others speculate that Microsoft will go for a truly 3D interface, such as that seen in 3DNA. More information will start to leak in years ahead, sometime after Microsoft figures out which direction they want to go in. (Right now it's basically ideas on a drawing board with no definitive path.) The good news is that it's not due until 2009-2012...with a 3-year range there it'll be hard for them to miss the deadline again. Happy

John

Collapse -
Speaking of 3DNA
by rbooz / August 22, 2006 2:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Two different camps...

I don'tthink Microsoft would go back to a MS BOB type interface. Amnd frankly I can' see this being used for fast computing, or even business oriented computing. In an enviroment where you have servers and big systems I dot see this layout as a plausible OS.

Collapse -
Reply to: Speaking of 3DNA...
by John.Wilkinson / August 22, 2006 8:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Speaking of 3DNA

There are two things to be considered, though:

1.) I just use that to demonstrate a 3D desktop. It would most likely be much less advanced, in that you wouldn't navigate entire rooms and search bulletin boards and such for links. If they went in that direction, which is still a big if, it would likely be like looking at a single wall where you can look slightly left, right, up, and down, 'walk closer' to an icon, etc.

2.) Microsoft has made it a point to leave a 'classic' option for those more accustomed to older layouts. They realize that businesses didn't shout 'Oh, wow!' when they saw the Luna theme (how many millions still use Windows 2000?) and won't want Aero distracting their employees and slowing down their processing. Thus, no matter what 'new interface' Microsoft goes with for Vienna (assuming it doesn't get puched back again) it's safe to assume that there will be an alternative interface that's much simpler and less graphical.

John

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!