Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Vista virus protection

3 days ago, my internet became slower and slower to the point that I can not load some pages unless I refresh at least twice. It might be spyware, adware, trojans or worms but I have already scanned my laptop with AVG, Windows Defenfer, Spybot and Spydoctor. I even tried Ad-aware and Trojan Remover. Can someone help me find a good free program I can get online to fix this, vista compatible?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Vista virus protection
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Vista virus protection
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Most likely needs

In reply to: Vista virus protection

Collapse -
Problem is still getting worse

In reply to: Most likely needs

I have tried defragmenting and this problem popped up recently. I've had no problem with my laptop until a few days ago. More information if this helps. Toshiba Satellite A215. Comcast Internet. Linksys router. When I check the bytes received when viewing the status of my connection, the numbers are in the millions and hundred millions within seconds of connecting to the internet.

Collapse -
test your connection speed here

In reply to: Problem is still getting worse

Collapse -
Speed test

In reply to: test your connection speed here

My speed keeps jumbling around. My first test said my ping was 107ms now it is 340 ms.

Collapse -
I don't believe your following through

In reply to: test your connection speed here

defrag, check speed at the link I've provided (a kbps/sec link speed, please), follow Grif's suggestion.

Collapse -
Another Thought...

In reply to: Problem is still getting worse

Please turn OFF the computer... Then turn OFF the modem and router.. Leave them that way for 10 minutes.. At the end of 10 - 15 minutes, restart the modem, wait 5 minutes for it to initialize. Then start the router, wait five minutes. Then restart the computer...

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
thanks but it didnt work

In reply to: Another Thought...

I tried the resetting modem. I even tried using my other router. Should I just completely delete my HD? I reformatted and it didnt work.

Collapse -
Next Step...Update Modem & Router Firmware

In reply to: thanks but it didnt work

We've found that Vista is having problems with many modem/routers which are running old firmware.. Visit the manufacturer's site and install the latest.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
slow internet connection

I'm not an expert in this matter by no means but I can try to give you some advice. I always start by running ccleaner, which is free
http://www.download.com/3120-20_4-0.html?tg=dl-20&qt=ccleaner&tag=srch
you can also try hijack this also free http://www.download.com/3120-20_4-0.html?tg=dl-20&qt=hijackthis&tag=srch
you could also run registry repair which is not free.I normally stick to freeware but I could not find anything I liked for vista. You would be surprised at how much quicker your computer runs when your registry is cleaned out.
http://www.migosoftware.com/store/registry-repair5.html?SourceID=REGISTRYREPAIR5_productpage
ccleaner will clean the registry also but what one misses the other one seems to get. read the instructions for these programs very carefully.they are to be used with a great deal of caution!! they do allow for backup and system restore points.

hope this helps

Collapse -
"registry repair which is not free"

In reply to: slow internet connection

Collapse -
free registry repair

In reply to: "registry repair which is not free"

I'm sorry I did not mean to imply that there were no free software programs for registry cleaning. I didn't find any free ones that I liked. I happened to be walking through my local dept. store and spotted this one from migosoft. Looked pretty good. Was on sale for like $20.00 so I picked it up. But thank you for the link. Pretty much everything else that I run is from download.com. Love the site! Trust the site!

bon

Collapse -
before

how much ram do u have in ur pc ?

Collapse -
Ram

In reply to: before

1GB. Okay I have no idea what is wrong. I really do not think this is an incompatibility problem because if I have been using this router for months, should the problem start months ago and not just now?

Two points I want to make.

1. This started 5 days ago but I have been using this router for months and there was no problem at all.

2. This isnt the modem or the router either since the internet my PCs are functioning properly.

Collapse -
Needs RAM at least 2GB

In reply to: Ram

Collapse -
Wincleaner

In reply to: Needs RAM at least 2GB

Okay. Wincleaner Memory Optimizer fixed my problem, but today it stopped working and gave me the error "Unable to locate the 'Processor' performance object."

Does this mean I do no have enough RAM? I still do no understand why my laptop acts up now and not four months ago when I got my laptop. I still think it might be spyware.

Should i just buy more RAM for my laptop? or Do I need to install the necessary drivers?

Collapse -
Ah...You Haven't Updated The Router and Modem Firmware Yet?

In reply to: Ram

It's a Vista issue with the firmware and other PC's running XP won't show the problem... Only Vista computers will exhibit the issue and some are showing it only after recent Vista updates..

It's too cheap and easy not to try..but that's your choice.

Grif

Collapse -
Reformatted

Okay so I reformatted my laptop with the recovery disk, but the problem is still here. Do registries get rewritten when I reformat.

Thanks so much to everyone for the help so far. Very much appreciated.

Collapse -
See: Perform a clean installation of Windows Vista

In reply to: Reformatted

within the content of this link. If you did it this way your hard drive maybe failing. This would also explain the very slow performance. Is it noisy.

Installing Windows Vista:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918884

Collapse -
Router

Problem could lies on your router firmware,try updating the latest firmware you can possible get from ur router manufacturer.
I did encounter the similar woes before,slow internet loading etc..
problem turns out to be Norton which seems to slow down my internet speed to crawling speed,after uninstalling and replaced it with Kaspersky,the speed took off again.

Collapse -
confused

My internet was finally working fine yesterday but today it is sluggish again. I should have never downloaded and opened that unreliable program.

Collapse -
About Ram

In reply to: confused

A friend of mine has that same computer and it came with 2 gig of ram which should be fine.
He did have the same problem you are having, but eleminated it by doing a disk cleanup every other day to get rid of the temp. internet files and all the other crap that builds up.
If your pings are between 107 and 340ms you need to call Comcast as those are too high.I was told by a Comcast tech. if the pings run over 100 consistently to www.comcast.net, it is cause for concern.
I have Comcast and they run from 30 to 70 ms and I live out in the dingles.
Wayne

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.