Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Vista upgrade...Do you have to reformat?

by chanceharp / January 10, 2007 7:31 AM PST

I just bought a new toshiba with a free upgrade to windows vista business edition. Will I have to reformat my computer when installing the OS or can it simply be added on? Sorry, im too young to remember the big 95-98-xp OS change so I dont know how this works exactly.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Vista upgrade...Do you have to reformat?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Vista upgrade...Do you have to reformat?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yeah, me too.
by MultiMuse / January 12, 2007 6:35 AM PST

I was just wondering the same thing. I'm still using Win 2000 and Win XP MCE and remember how we always had to avoid headaches and hassles by reformatting drives to do a "clean" OS install, when upgrading from Win 95/98 to Win NT4, then from Win NT4 to Win 2K. It would be great to hear from Vista users about their failures and successes in going from earlier versions of Windoze to Vista.

At any rate we all know by now it's necessary to backup or archive ALL your data files off HDD before attempting to reinstall or upgrading any OS.... right???

Collapse -
my experience
by kellenjb / January 12, 2007 2:09 PM PST

When I upgraded from XP to Vista Beta I had the option to do an upgrade. There was an important driver that got messed up in the upgrade process that forced me to reformat. So no you probably won't have to reformat, but be careful. Also I have heard reports of better performance in Vista when you do a fresh install rather than upgrade.

Collapse -
(NT) can I revert bact from windows vista to windows xp and how
by Willmax8 / January 31, 2007 10:14 PM PST
In reply to: my experience
Collapse -
Matter of Performance
by msft--2008 / January 16, 2007 5:56 AM PST

If you choose to simply perform an upgrade installation of Vista, you will be able to revert back to Windows XP but will lose a significant amount of performance.

Even though it seems like an upgrade would be the best option, reformatting the hard drive and performing a clean install of Vista will give you the most satisfactory results.

Collapse -
Re: Matter of performance
by stonehkm / January 16, 2007 8:31 AM PST
In reply to: Matter of Performance

I have, as a member of Windows Feedback Panel, have tested Beta 2, RC1 and RC2. I will be receiving my final version shortly. It is rumured that the final version will upgrade properly. I had to clean install all prior versions.
I hope this true as it is a pain in the A** to have to re-install everything-even from backups!

Collapse -
I will be receiving my final version shortly.
by jconner / January 17, 2007 9:22 PM PST

When or how did you receive notice about a final upgrade? I've been testing RC2 build 5384 for about 6 months at work and here at home with no notification of receiving upgrades, only updates as they have occured for this build.

Just curious are there categories of testing?

John

Collapse -
Re: I will be receiving my final version shortly.
by stonehkm / January 18, 2007 4:50 AM PST

Members of Windows Feedback Panel were randomly selected for Beta 2 and RC1 with a promise of the retail version for appropriate feed back and continued use of Windows Feedback Panel software.
I received an email from Microsoft indicating I would receive a complimentary copy of Vista Ultimate 32 bit when it goes retail.
I also beta tested XP SP2 and upon release of SP2, received a choice of complimentary software.
Join Windows Feedback Panel and you may also receive invitations to participate. Again, it is random and use of WFP software is required for Microsoft to monitor the performance of their programs.

Collapse -
My experience
by Cirick / January 17, 2007 11:32 AM PST

I had RC-1 installed, decided I didn't like it. I tried to put Windows XP Pro back on that drive. I kept getting error messages when I tried to install Windows XP over Vista. I had to delete the partition and reformat the drive using my Windows XP installation, then it was no problem to install the OS.
I have been told this in not a reinvention of Xp. They started from scratch to build Vista not using XP. I don't know how you can have a smooth transition from one to the other.

Collapse -
Some problems
by mopscare42 / January 31, 2007 11:29 PM PST
In reply to: My experience

When trying to upgrade my Windows XP media center to Windows Vista home premium it would get to 58% and stop. The upgrade advisor said there was no conflicts be it hardware or software.
I tried 3 times with the same results.
I always backup my files and important data so I tried with the clean install and Vista loaded with no problem.
It appears that the upgrade to Vista advisor isn't always right.
It is better to do a clean install anyway as it cleans out old problems and lets you get used to Vista while loading everything back in.
Now I need to find a Vista for dummies book.

Collapse -
Systemax VX2 formatted with FAT32
by jancawa55 / February 1, 2007 7:48 PM PST
In reply to: Some problems

I just got this machine 2 weeks ago with XP2 installed and an Express upgrade entitlement. I had RC1 on my older computer and went to put it on the new one and found that this brand new spanking computer was formatted in FAT32 and Vista would not install. So, I did reformat to NTFS and then clean install. Old stuff was saved in Windows.old and it has been no prob since. Except when running I-tunes, which gave me my first BSOD in years. The good part is that whatever the junk on XP desktop was disappeared with the new install.

Collapse -
Problems here too
by happyRDJ / February 2, 2007 3:20 PM PST
In reply to: Some problems

I had similar problems. I used the upgrade advisor, which stated no problems. I tried to upgrade three times. It failed each time right at the end when it was finishing the upgrade. I talked to Microsoft help for 3 hours and got no where. The tech told me it was my video card, so I got a new one (old one was crap anyway). After installing the new one, it failed again in the same place. My ticket is still open with Microsoft and I will update as things resolve.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!