General discussion

Vista Upgrade

My laptop (Acer Aspire 5516) came preloaded with the Windows Vista Basic operating system. I've been using it without any problems for 8-9 months. Recently, I discovered that I have a Dell Reinstallation DVD of Windows Vista Home Premium 32Bit from another laptop computer. Can I use this DVD to upgrade my Acer O/S? If so, will I lose any data in the process? Is it difficult to do and is it worth the effort? HKA

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Vista Upgrade
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Vista Upgrade
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
No.

But often I find this a great way to show that the answer is no. We do this at the office and invite staff that need to see it fail.
Bob

- Collapse -
Why not?

Thank you for your direct and concise response. I asked a few questions in my post--is the answer "no" to all of them? Are you saying I shouldn't do it (i.e. that it's legally improper), that it won't work for a technical reason(s), or something else?

- Collapse -
I apologise.

Let me get each ? in here.

Can I use this DVD to upgrade my Acer O/S?

You could try but there are many reasons it will fail. OEM versions are locked or modified and yes you might find an occasional success story, the chances are slim to none plus all the other troubles mean the answer has to remain -> No.

If so, will I lose any data in the process?

Let me share what the Cnet Moderators all say -> "We only lose what we don't backup." With what's been presented, anything on that machine would be put at risk.

Is it difficult to do and is it worth the effort?

In my opinion no. I'd much rather see a move to Windows 7 and read that if your hardware was wiped you wouldn't sweat it.
Bob

- Collapse -
Thanks.

I guess you enjoy tweaking others in your office--sounds like fun. Thanks again.

- Collapse -
It's more of "what would happen?".

It's a simple "what would happen?" demonstration. The office is thankfully full of machines that were crashed for this or other reasons. This gives us in the office a chance to try what others don't have the opportunity to do.

Hope this helps,
bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info